Sign in to follow this  
pmackellow

Little Wonder hedge trimmers

As part of my O&R collection I have a Little Wonder hedge trimmer with O&R power, also 12 volt and 240 volt versions.

New additions are a period sign for the display and today another 30" blade hedge trimmer arrived with the later style of O&R engine in it...

PA200012.JPG

PA210018.JPG

PA210019.JPG

PA210020.JPG

PB020043.JPG

PB040048.JPG

PB040049.JPG

PB040052.JPG

Most of the crud has been cleaned off the unit, the decal has been removed in one piece (that was lucky) and sent to Titch at Machinery decals for replicas to be made...

The crusty bits on the starter pull and cowling have been built up with Isopon and smoothed down to restore the original surface, early days yet...

Chrome is bad so this unit will get the smooth silver Hammerite treatment as used on the Bridges drill units.

PB040054.JPG

PB040057.JPG

PB040058.JPG

PB050059.JPG

Unfortunately the serial number is missing from mine (should be on the missing cylinder plate/cooling baffle) so it's impossible to tell which is later, unless someone has one the same.

According to an O&R service bulletin the "cooling baffle is seldom, if ever, lost" :banghead:

David

2 hours ago, pmackellow said:

The engine is dead solid so I have concentrated on making it look pretty, it's not come out too bad...

Have you checked if it's the piston/cylinder or the starter mechanism that's the cause of it being seized.

I had one of those later style starters with the starter reel seized due to corrosion, I never managed to un-seize it and noticed a couple the thin alloy sections of the housing were cracked, so ended up buying a replacement from Webhead.

David

Its engine related although the starter itself is seized, when I removed the cowling it all looked pretty grotty under there, I've cleaned it up as best as I can

As the machine will be used for display only I'm not that worried (at this time) about getting it going

Thanks for your comments gents

Those tillers were branded under quite a few different names. Mine is a Derby.

Never seen one of those power heads with a blower attachment

What is that unit in the first pic?

21 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

Those tillers were branded under quite a few different names. Mine is a Derby.

Never seen one of those power heads with a blower attachment

The unit in the first photo is my Mini Engine sold by Tarpen Engineering in the UK, it has a rotary tiller on the end of it

21 hours ago, Wallfish said:

21 hours ago, pmackellow said:

The unit in the first photo is my Mini Engine sold by Tarpen Engineering in the UK, it has a rotary tiller on the end of it

There are more pictures of pmackellow's Tarpen Mini Engine powerhead & Tarpen Flex rotary cultivator in this O&R thread that was created before the O&R forum moved here;

I don't think there are many Tarpen Mini engines about as they offered many adaptors to power the Tarpen Flex range from mowers, tractors and other machinery.

David