S1g

Be very wary when selling your car!

Just got back from court today after having my life made a misery for nearly 8 months. Last June I sold the Volvo that I use in my avatar. It had been totally reliable for the whole two years that I'd Owened it. Never once breaking down. I sold it as seen and tested as I'm a private seller. The guy who bought it basically blew it up(the car was 13 years old with 100k on the clock) and then demanded his money back to which I declined. He then issued legal proceedings against me and after several months of arguing the judge said its a private sale nothing can be done. At this point he claims I'm a trader  so I then had to go and try and prove I'm not. I asked my brother who's a lawyer what I can do to protect myself from this happening again if I ever sell a car again. He says there's nothing you can do. Suddenly those we buy any car. Com things seem attractive!

I can see why people part exchange/ trade their cars when buying a new car. In fact over the years I have just set my cars against the purchase of the new one. The only exception is buying and selling classic cars,

For an older car, a local auction is a good bet.  At the other end of the scale, a friend of mine was very pleased with the deal from "We buy..... "  when selling a luxury 4 x 4,  a bit better than he had been offered by the dealer and gave him more negotiating room for the new one. Either way, it takes away the hassle.

When I've sold my cars in the past I've never really had much of an issue. With this one I did everything right. Had a new mot put on it, had the local polish firm valet it inside and out, - a very good job they did as well. I sold it with no warranty sold as seen and tested. Don't forget there was absolutely nothing wrong with it when sold yet to be honest I feel this guy had persecuted me for the last 8 months. I couldn't of part exed it as I was reducing the number of vechiles that I had. 

I guess alarm bells should of started ringing when viewing he was moaning about crease marks on the roof where the soft top had been folded( as I said it was 13 years old!) and some slight corrosion to the alloy wheels.

I sold my Volvo 850 GLT Wagon almost three years ago and last month I got a ticket in the mail for running a toll plaza. The tag was clearly visible and apparently the buyer had been driving the car with no registration, no licence plate, and no insurance. I wrote the Department of Public safety and enclosed a bill of sale and notice from my insurance company notarizing the sale and I instructed them to send the ticket to the police since if someone could drive that car for nearly three years without it being taken off the road it was an enforcement issue, not my problem.