I could not help myself had to run to the shop. Not good at sitting around all day

here are some pics of the gaskets / oring / rubber bands .

Looks more like a rubber band then anything. hope this helps

1956344472_IMG_37831.JPG.0b0c3e2a505145da977a86f463619387.JPG

1995792048_IMG_37851.JPG.ec664beb6ed256a17053cd0f2cfe9656.JPG

2053017300_IMG_37841.JPG.38d4e95352f5b4d19905a61d14d5a9d0.JPG

They remind of the rubber belts used in tape players, but they would probably instantly turn to mush when exposed to gas/oil mix (the ones used in Philips products turned to sticky mush with age, gas/petrol is one thing that could remove the sticky mess left :yankchain:).

I'm sure there must be suitable gas resistant seals like that available.

By the way I've been busy tonight converting 360MB of scans of the first O&R Compact Engine literature from August 1960 to a 5MB pdf, which is now available to download from the manuals thread (as it was all together I have left it together).

I may add the brochure on it's own to the appropriate section as well.

David

They probably are just rubber bands, hence "packing bands" and the pic in the drawing even looks like one for 5-2 .

Put the engine together last night with a rubber band for 5-9 and used the old 5-2 as it wasn't too bad of condition.

Chromer C-Saw all done for now. Decided to leave the tank handle shinie and no new paint. That can be done by the next person. Found a chrome muffler to go on there too.

Had a bit of a struggle with assembly. These have plenty of tough to get to screws. First the crank bound up after engine assembly and had to pull it apart 3 or 4 times because of a roller slipping out each time. Finally got that good to go then assembled like the last pics. Put the recoil cover on and went to do the coil cover. No go as the replacement coil I used wouldn't allow the cover.:banghead: Fix the wires on the original and assemble again. That little nut on the post is very difficult to get to and the fatter wire on the repaired coil didn't want to snake behind the flywheel. :banghead: Cover fits perfect this time BUT, forgot to install the governor vein. :banghead: Take it apart and do it all over again and those reverse cover slot screws are a pain with the engine on the saw base not to mention the worst one is the back of the coil cover.  Also got zapped pretty good while pulling it over and checking for spark. Seems Tom Easley (the name engraved into it) is haunting the saw! Maybe he wants the red parts painted? :dunno:

IMG_0614.JPG.76aa3e840c06ec4eb145ec1fad3b16d1.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG.8c2b29c7124dc5740072edf123c2f70b.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG.9cd1760a3ad0d0b4504cc99e49bf4e94.JPG

Had a similar experience recently, maybe not quite as bad but enough I had to finally walk away from it...

that thing looks really really awesome!

1 hour ago, Wallfish said:

No go as the replacement coil I used wouldn't allow the cover.:banghead:

If that cover wont fit on the one you  have I think it will work on the one i have it has the original coil.:D

45 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

If that cover wont fit on the one you  have I think it will work on the one i have it has the original coil.:D

Are you missing a coil cover?

Oh, remember now that you reminded me. Just saw another one of those covers yesterday but not sure where or what it came from. Can't remember! LoL

Let me take a look around to see if there's another forgotten box or three out there and you can have it if it doesn't go to anything. Just remind me to send it or I'll forget.