Not 100% sure if this saw was polished or came from the factory that way but it doesn't have the usual painted finish. It seems like it would be very difficult to polish the metal around the original decal without destroying it. Looks kind of cool nice and shiney. This is the old school type with a real early engine. Recoils screws from the back

IMG_0603.JPG.d6962c765b1d3565e8c37c7229d8a72e.JPG

Yeah. Bought it a while ago and it ended up in another forgotten box.

It needs some TLC and all the parts are there except the PO stripped all the old brittle insulation off the coil wires. I got a old black one for a spare

Nice- maybe that was part of a special edition kind of like the chromed out Orline Mustang chainsaw...

anxious to see that once you have it all back together!

1 hour ago, Wallfish said:

Yeah. Bought it a while ago and it ended up in another forgotten box.

It looks like you just buy them and put them in a box and then throw them under the bench .

You probably have no idea how many you have .

Pretty much how it worked although buying them has slowed down quite a bit. Many have come and then gone to new homes as well so yeah, I don't know exactly how many there are any more.

I have another one of these so this one can probably go to a new home too.

Just a note, the alloy handle used on these (can't see it in the picture) is a weak point , the thin section where it attaches didn't survive shipping on mine.

David

It sure is and this one was welded at some point. Looks like it may have had a small crack as the weld is only about 1/2 inch long.

And the guy etched his name into it. I'll post some better pics

Here is another early one that doesn't appear to be painted (not mine).

m2.JPG.09c6976aff181ffad11e55fc8fff3733.JPG

I never took any pictures of mine, it arrived after the recent bereavement, I only had a quick look & pulled out the paperwork.

The other Comet tool I bought over winter went very badly, I got scammed, it never arrived and I lost the money as I didn't claim it in time. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

David

Wasn't really planning on going this deep on this one but wanted to check it out to make sure everything was good to go. Ended up being quite dirty and just kept going, the bearings were stiff too so...

There were no seals on the exhaust manifold to the cylinder except the rubber one down at the case right above the threads for the head. Surely there must be something missing and it did have some oil collecting in that area from exhaust leak.

IMG_0609.JPG

That does seem a little strange - maybe someone has been in there before and forgot some parts.  On a recent one I did I found someone also left out some of the exhaust spacers and gaskets.

Is the serial number below #006072? It certainly looks like an early engine, there are two gaskets for the cylinder, one at the top of the exhaust collector part no. #5-2 (I think this maybe a rubber seal but can't confirm), the other below the exhaust collector is part #5-9 this is a rubber seal (exactly the same as the one for the feather valve).

David.

18 minutes ago, CNew said:

On a recent one I did I found someone also left out some of the exhaust spacers and gaskets.

There is no exhaust collector spacer used on this engine, the exhaust collector is wider than the newer ones.

@Wallfish I will double check the manual with parts lists that came with the C/Saw I bought, it covers 1961/62 and early engines with no serial numbers.

David

correct, there is no spacer but the top groove on the head looks as though there should be an oring there. I can stretch a normal cylinder oring to fit on there but it's too thick to allow it to slide into the the collector

IMG_0611.JPG.0cc9672402367b6168ac1427ab962a36.JPG

The 1962 price list states items marked with ⃰  must be used on engines with serial number 006072 or under and on (early) engines without a serial number. It also states items marked with a double ⃰ (sorry MS character map lacks correct symbol) must be used on engines with serial number 013072 or under and on (early) engines without a serial number.

1271213130_OhlssonRiceUltraCompactEngineAug1960spares1.jpg.8de103b148ccdeb4ac95fd11320497e5.jpg

The exhaust collector gasket (arrowed in your picture) is #5-2 on the parts list, the manual states to "lubricate this gasket generously" to prevent it getting damaged when screwing the cylinder down. I suspect this is a thin section O-ring or square section ring that is slightly larger is diameter than the cylinder O-ring, I can't confirm which unless someone finds some NOS (I would be interested in some if they turn up too).

It also confirms two packing band gaskets, part #5-9 are used for both the cylinder seal & feather valve seal.

Note: the reed/feather valve assembly changes after serial number 006073 as do a lot of the gaskets & seals.

David

Edit: added picture from August 1960 parts diagram, which also shows the three piston rings found in CNew's early engine.

Edited by factory
Added diagram

Not yet, it isn't actually dated but came with a letter dated August 1960, it's going to need adding, but it won't be tonight, it's very late here and I just stuffed up a post I was going to add in another thread. :banghead:

Also I have noticed a problem/error with the 1961 parts diagram, it shows #5-2 & #33-2 pointing at the wrong items (they are swapped). Reading the descriptions below the diagram gives the correct names, the manual that came with the C/Saw has a correct version of the diagram.

David

I have 4 of the 5-2 exhaust collector gaskets and 3 of the 5-9 packing band gaskets so if you need a set

that can be arranged. I will get a few pics tomorrow when I go to the shop.

Got my inventory  all in the computer now so I can just inter the number and it tells me the box its 

in and if I has any.

31 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

I have 4 of the 5-2 exhaust collector gaskets and 3 of the 5-9 packing band gaskets so if you need a set

that can be arranged.

Could you spare one of each of those? They would be very useful in finding the nearest equivalent in the UK, I have quite a few of the first 6000 engines here, including one that's been in bits for years as they were missing.

David.

9 minutes ago, factory said:

Could you spare one of each of those?

David I can send you a set pm me with a shipping address and I will get a set on the way.

John do you need a set I'm going to get my old school tools out and try to see what size they are

maybe we can find an alternative . If Clint was here he has the new micrometer make thing a bet

easier.