Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Joseph

Westwood challange - help needed

Recommended Posts

We have been looking for a rare side mounted shredder for ages, to fit on our Westwood D1200. One appeared in our local auction and we managed to get it for a great price. The shredder had been modified to run from an electric motor and the mounting bracket was missing. We were going to make a mounting bracket but managed to get one.

 

The challange was to turn the shredder back to standard and fit it onto the tractor. I think the attachment bracket was designed to be factory fitted because it was a lot of work to fit. Once we got the attachment fitted to the tractor we hit a problem. The idler has been modified and the belt it came was was incorrect, which is one too many variables.

 

A replacement belt is proving to be very difficult to find, a number of Westwood dealers claim the attachment does not exist and I don't know anyone who has the attachment who can help. Does anyone know what the belt size should be?

 

A quick video on progress, even my cameraman got in on the action!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Looks a useful piece of equipment, Joseph. And rare as well. Be interesting to see how well it works. :thumbs:

 

Can't you use a piece of rope to give an approximation of belt length?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Something different Joseph.   Sorry I can't help with the belt size but nice to see your cameraman at long last.  I see you are training him to get dirty too.  :thumbs:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used to service one or may be two tractors that had the bracket etc but never saw the shredder itself. I gave a former employee all my Westwood belt charts but I will ask him if he still has them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2020 at 8:22 PM, Stormin said:

 Looks a useful piece of equipment, Joseph. And rare as well. Be interesting to see how well it works. :thumbs:

 

Can't you use a piece of rope to give an approximation of belt length?

 

The idler pulley has been relocated and without know where it should be located it creates too many variables. If we can't find the correct belt, we will guess the location of the idlers, measure with some string and buy a belt. Even if it is wrong one it may help work out what it should be

 

On 7/20/2020 at 8:28 PM, Alan said:

 Something different Joseph.   Sorry I can't help with the belt size but nice to see your cameraman at long last.  I see you are training him to get dirty too.  :thumbs:

 

It is good to see him busy :)

 

On 7/21/2020 at 4:24 PM, Wristpin said:

We used to service one or may be two tractors that had the bracket etc but never saw the shredder itself. I gave a former employee all my Westwood belt charts but I will ask him if he still has them.

 

That would be fantastic if you are able to find out. Thanks for looking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately the guy that I gave the charts to has dumped them. However I’ve spoken to a friend who worked for both Westwood and Countax. The shredded was made by Countax before they made tractors of their own but made most of Westwood ‘s accessories.

The mounting brackets etc were a dealer fit and he recalls that there were two or possibly three brackets to suit different configurations of tractor. He thinks that the belt could have been a B section cogged one.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2020 at 10:25 PM, Wristpin said:

Unfortunately the guy that I gave the charts to has dumped them. However I’ve spoken to a friend who worked for both Westwood and Countax. The shredded was made by Countax before they made tractors of their own but made most of Westwood ‘s accessories.

The mounting brackets etc were a dealer fit and he recalls that there were two or possibly three brackets to suit different configurations of tractor. He thinks that the belt could have been a B section cogged one.

 

 

 

It is sad that he dumped the charts. I really appreciate you taking the time to ask and the information you have found out is really useful, thanks. We were wondering if the brackets were slightly different for various models, so it is good to have that confirmed. We are planning to relocate the idler to where we think it should be and measure for a belt, at least that will give us an idea of the size

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...