CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Irvington Mini-Winch

This one isn’t mine, sadly. I was contacted for a carburetor diaphragm and gasket. I requested permission to post these photos as I thought you all would enjoy this one. I’ve not seen this winch before, how about anyone else?  Looks to be made by Irvington out of Portland, OR.

E2E5ABF4-CB51-4B54-AC5C-47899D2A7BF6.jpeg

C40C85BD-F4FD-489D-AA87-B768A90BBC6D.jpeg

870A4869-EB4A-4C41-8DAC-73F90CB6389F.jpeg

On 9/19/2020 at 1:37 AM, CNew said:

I’ve not seen this winch before, how about anyone else?  Looks to be made by Irvington out of Portland, OR.

There is a picture of another (later ?) version of the Irvington winch in the 1967 Mechanix Illustrated magazine you bought a while ago, it's the article that mentions the Mt Everest expedition, I hope to find some archive pictures one day that show & confirm which O&R powered winch they used. :fingerscrossed:

Looking at the Irvington winch I can imagine that some of them have probably had the name wiped off making them hard to identify & find, the label looks to be the type that the print easily disappears from if you accidentality use the wrong cleaner.

David

P.S. "Irvington" added to title to make it easier for people find this post when searching for information on the web.

This site is dangerous. Every time I login I see all of these 'new' O&R powered machines I have never seen before. I think I 'need' to step up my O&R game. That winch is adorable. How useful it would be is left to your imagination, but it would be pretty badass on a power wheels or something like that.

Chris

Edited by K-TRON

Proud new owner of the Irvington Mini Winch. My plan was to get it all ready before posting but couldn’t wait. The previous owner was super awesome and reached out to me before parting with it. I of course was very interested and hope to make this a centerpiece in the collection.  Another BIG thank you to the owner for keeping this here in the O&R family!

I’m itching to clean it up and display it but I have been thwarted by too many business trips and landscaping lately. I hope things will slow down a little soon so I can get back to this.  I need to add an air cleaner and swap out the tank clamp.

342F5A7B-E387-4470-B6B7-2108A22EEA76.jpeg

72EEE39E-2E3A-48E4-ADE7-49108E70F254.jpeg

2B05D446-9D2A-4403-BD18-334BCFF10033.jpeg

1E727E46-E92C-459B-BE06-9DE3E696E42D.jpeg

D1FD7FB4-46B1-4829-959D-7DD21DC2D36F.jpeg

On 2/26/2023 at 5:41 AM, JUST O&R said:

That's a nice find look to be in great shape:hyper:

p.s. it seems hard to find time anymore to do anything extra

Indeed, it’s been really challenging lately. 

I love the gear reduction feeding a gear reduction. I have a much larger Jaeger double drum winch with a 31horsepower Wisconsin inline 4 cylinder engine that works in a similar fashion, only It is like 300x the size. Yours looks much more manageable. I cannot wait to see this thing work. I hope you have something you can winch with it.

Chris

That Jaeger winch sounds pretty cool!  I’m anxious to get this one running just to see how the mechanism works.