paul

briggs lawn edger

Hi All, having a bit of a problem, I have a little lawn edger with a 3hp Briggs and Stratton engine on  which wouldn't go so went to try the common things  as the points and found there wasn't any neither a condenser, the coil is there with a lug on it which goes to the throttle so presume its a stop switch. When looking further I found out that  the engine had no hole for the peg that holds the points arm spring on also no hole or plunger to operate the points. So cant figure out how it worked ? was it electronic? Hope someone can help. The engine numbers are 80232-2222-01-88060803post-109-0-93292000-1399663245.jpg

Thankyou. I will see about elec ignition as that's what I think has happened as there is no evidence of points and condenser.

Paul

You may prefer to go down the route that Stormin suggests, but depends what your plans are for it, if you want to keep it to original spec, then you will need this info-

post-94-0-24288500-1399727118_thumb.gif

There is another part number for the Unit that has a 14 3/8" long HT Lead, but suspect yours will be the shorter one.

They are still common-ish available online i.e. Bay of E, but one will set you back about £30.

Before you write the Coil off, have you checked-

1-The strength of the Magnet on the Flywheel.

2-The Air Gap between the Flywheel and Armature pick up Legs  (should be 0.006"-0.010" or 0.15-0.25 mm).

3- Spark Plug and ground connections?.

Look's a useful machine. 

Hi All. Good news. I spoke to john at the mower centre hailsham and described the problem to him.  He told me to look at the underneath of the coil to see if it had a brass plate and does it have a lug at the top (IT HAS BOTH)  the lug is the stop switch and the brass plate is the electronic ignition. Cleaned all the rust off the flywheel and reset the armature then wound it over with a drill and it has a lovely spark. Will see if it runs tomorrow.

Thanks for everybodys help, I will put some pics up tomorrow for you Mr Mackellow but pretty sure the badge says little wonder patent Southampton and somewhere in America will look tomorrow.

THANKS AGAIN ALL

Paul

Had a go at the engine today and it is running, took a while mind you so touch wood all ok now.

Time to strip the rest down and try and find out some history on it. It has a fox of bishops Waltham dealer sticker on it and they are 5-6 miles away from me so I will see if they can shed some light on it.

Paul

You will find a copy of the Manual that covers your Model (and others) in the Downloads Section now.

There was little change in the designs from 1965-1990, so If there are any parts that can't be fabricated cheaply, you may still be able to obtain them from the States. 

The Manual also includes Bolt and Thread sizes.

Thank you for the download manual Anglo Traction, your a star.

The more I go on this club/ site the more I like it. A credit to all people involved.

Paul