S1g

Project Budget Sachs Diesel Howard Gem.

This is my new project, a Sachs Diesel Howard Gem. I wasn't going to do anymore Gems for a while,

however through my Website I was offered this one totally free of charge, and whats more its a runner!

I've decided to restore this one on a limited budget, - ideally under £100,as in the past I've tended to

get carried away with my machines, I think Keri would have a fit if she saw what I spent on G206.

It arrived in my yard today, upuntil then I hadn't even seen it. I was pleasantly surprised by how good it

is. If it hadn't already been repainted, I may of left it as it was.

IMG_1730[1].JPG

IMG_1732[1].JPG

IMG_1735[1].JPG

IMG_1737[1].JPG

One of the worst parts on this Gem is the condition of the rear rotor covers. The fold where the

two main covers meet is missing as is the rear soil flap. They could be repaired but to get looking

real right would probably take me weeks. Another option is to purchase a new set off Standen's

however these come in at nearly £300 a set! In-keeping with my strict budget for this project, Ive

dug out a second hand set off a Dowdeswell 650 that I broke up a few years ago. (this machine

had a knackered gearbox so I sold the engine for more than I paid for the whole machine so these

covers don't owe me a penny).

Tonight Ive started the laborious task of stripping the paint off them. I also treated the rust with

some prep and ready that I purchased off Frost a few years back, its the best rust killer that ive

ever found.

IMG_1749[1].JPG

IMG_1751[1].JPG

IMG_1752[1].JPG

IMG_1753[1].JPG

IMG_1758[1].JPG

IMG_1759[1].JPG

IMG_1760[1].JPG

Thats in good order. I had one the same a few years back.

Always a total pig to start until I had the injector rebuit. Ran a treat after & always started 

I sold it but wish I kept it....

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

Thats in good order. I had one the same a few years back.

Always a total pig to start until I had the injector rebuit. Ran a treat after & always started 

I sold it but wish I kept it....

This one doesn't start to bad but I've got arthritis in my body so when I caught it wrong the other day going over compression it hurt. Where did you have the injector rebuilt as I've been told in the past that these couldn't be done and would like to seeing how much a Hatz was improved years ago.

Been having a dig around my sheds this morning for parts. As the tyres on this gem were quite reasonable

I was going to leave them with just a clean up, however I found these set of rims with a pair of brand new

vedestrain tyres fitted that I purchased a few years ago at my local plant sale for the bargin price of £20,

which I had almost forgotten about, so it would be a shame not to fit them.

In a box I found out my last two new fuel caps that I was given for free by our now retiered Diesel fitter. They

should polish up nice.

The final photo shows a set of decals that I had made years ago for £15 a set.

IMG_1765[1].JPG

IMG_1767[1].JPG

IMG_1769[1].JPG

I cant remember who refurbed the injector. I gave it to the tractor dealers who I deal with & they sent it off to the company they use

I will find out when I next go to see them:)

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

I cant remember who refurbed the injector. I gave it to the tractor dealers who I deal with & they sent it off to the company they use

I will find out when I next go to see them:)

Ok,thanks. Can you remember if it was expensive, as the last one I had done was mates rates at about £25 , but the firm has now long closed down.

Got to work early this morning and popped the bonnet, air filter and exhaust off. The bonnet on the

whole is very good, its just going to need a bit of panel beating on the front edge and a small crack

welding up. The hinge is quite worn, probably caused by the extra vibration of the diesel engine.

The fuel tank looks in exceptional condition, probably spillages of diesel have helped preserve it

over the years. The air filter is going to require quite a bit of straightening and the spring clips

sorting out.

IMG_1784[1].JPG

IMG_1783[1].JPG

IMG_1785[1].JPG

IMG_1782[1].JPG

IMG_1776[1].JPG

IMG_1777[1].JPG

IMG_1778[1].JPG

On 22/01/2017 at 8:27 PM, S1g said:

Ok,thanks. Can you remember if it was expensive, as the last one I had done was mates rates at about £25 , but the firm has now long closed down.

Went to dealers yesterday but forgot too ask :angry:

It was more than £25. Sure arround £60?? Cant remember!!

18 minutes ago, Chris said:

Went to dealers yesterday but forgot too ask :angry:

It was more than £25. Sure arround £60?? Cant remember!!

Well that would blow the budget, but it will probably be worth it. Still come in a lot cheaper than G206 did!

Started to clean up the radiator today. After unbolting it, the under engine guard and cooling

fan I put it through our industrial parts washer a couple of times. I was amazed how good its

come up for nearly a 60 year old rad. Just needs rubbing down and painting now.

With all these bits removed, it suprises me how compact the engine is for a 9hp, I guess having

no valves etc helps.

IMG_1799[1].JPG

IMG_1801[1].JPG

IMG_1804[1].JPG

IMG_1802[1].JPG

Even though it was hovering around freezing most of the day, Ive managed to get the paint on the

radiator. Just waiting for the paint to fully dry before I take a photo. I have also started straightening

out the air filter.

I normally get a contact to date my gems for me but ive been having a bit of trouble getting hold of

him. Going by the serial number I deducted that it was made between 1960 and 1962. Well today I

found May 1961 on the radiator's brass plate, and Febuary 1961 stamped into the air filter, so looks

like I wasn't to far out on my estimate.

IMG_1811[1].JPG

Started stripping the rear end tonight. Once off I could see just how bad the rear covers had deteriorated.

Only fit for the bin!

After taking advise Ive found a firm to rebuild the injector so I had the pleasure of trying

to persuade it to part company with the head. Eventually it gave up the fight.

I was going to clean and repaint the radiator cap, but when I saw a new chrome finish one was about a

fiver on ebay I purchased one, and today it arrived.

IMG_1813[1].JPG

IMG_1814[1].JPG

IMG_1819[1].JPG

IMG_1820[1].JPG

IMG_1823[1].JPG

IMG_1818[1].JPG

14 hours ago, Stormin said:

Well the radiator looks good. :thumbs:

Thanks, the cooling fins in places were a bit battered, I've straightened them the best I can. I did consider a new core, however decided against it firstly on the grounds of cost, but mainly because it was still the original one after 56 years.

The rear end is actually in a better state than the last gem i rebuilt. This was still being used till fairly recently by a landscaping firm but good old health and safety meant the boss decided to discontinue using it.

The strip down continues. Nothing too major to report. The chain case

as usual was devoid of oil, and full of soil. One wheel hub is a little loose,

ive found one of the gear selector bushes to be badly worn, and the

rotor shaft dog is seized.

IMG_1829[1].JPG

IMG_1830[1].JPG

20100902_222156_P8280620.jpg

20100902_222426_P8280621.jpg

Managed to make a bit more progress. The front of the bonnet has been beaten back

into shape, the crack and the grille welded up. Then after stripping all the paint off I

started on my most hated job, - filling!

The air filter has started to take shape as well. It will just need a skim of stopper, which

I will apply when I do the bonnet. When checking images on google to

make sure I got the profile right I discovered that there is two types of bonnets fitted to

Sachs Gems.

I also received my refurbished injector back this morning, apparently the nozzle and

spindle was shot. Came in at £56 with the carriage so not too bad. When it stops raining,

it will get a coat of paint to prevent it from rusting.

IMG_1860[1].JPG

IMG_1858[1].JPG

IMG_1859[1].JPG

IMG_1855[1].JPG

Yesterday I had my contact come back to me. Apparently this Gem was built on

10/03/1962 and dispatched to W.Wood Ltd in Horsham on 16/03/1962.

The pleasing thing is the engine is still the original factory fitted one.

Had a bit of luck today, whilst rummaging through my one shed for some car shampoo, I came across 6 brand new blades for a gem that I didn't even know was in there. Hopefully with what ive got at my work I should now be able to make a complete new set for no money. Should help offset the cost of having the injector done.

12 hours ago, Darmic1 said:

Your cracking on with this one Gareth!

Just trying to get the bad jobs out the way first. I want to get on with stripping the paint off the main gearbox/frame assembly but needs to be done outside and it hasn't stopped raining for nearly a week with us. Being realistic I can see the budget hitting £150 but this will still be cheap for a diesel Gem.

A bit more progress today.

Heres the bonnet with its 3rd (and hopefully last ) skim of filler.

I also managed to get the fuel tank stripped as it finally stopped

raining for about 3 hours, plus I gave the fan housing a rub down

and spray with etch primmer.

IMG_1984.JPG

IMG_1981.JPG

IMG_1985.JPG

Bonnet has now been sprayed with filler primmer. As expected

quite a few areas needing further attention showed up. After

being allowed to set for a few days, this will be guide coated and

given a layer of stopper. Tonight before I left work I gave the old

girl a very thourgh pressure wash ready for stripping the paint

off in the morning if its not too cold/wet.

IMG_1990.JPG

IMG_1989.JPG

IMG_1991.JPG

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 9:08 PM, Cub Cadet said:

Great job your doing, its a beast! 

Thank you. Its suprising how much more work the bonnet and under tray is creating.

Ive spent the last two days dodging rain, wind and even snow, trying to get the paint

stripped off the machine. Here it is, looking quite bad at the moment, mainly due to

a flash of rust caused by the hot washer. Tommorrow this will be gone over with a

wire brush. The engine has purposely been left for the time being. This will be scotch

clothed then etch primed.

IMG_1997.JPG

IMG_1998.JPG