rotoscytheben

now thats a chainsaw !!!!!

this turned up at work today specially ordered for a customer of ours it is one beast of a saw!!!!

post-220-0-44409100-1406826966_thumb.jpgpost-220-0-73057100-1406827031_thumb.jpgpost-220-0-99121500-1406827094_thumb.jpg

the saw is a stihl ms880 which is 120cc the bar is 5ft long without the motor the chain will have some 172 drive links  needless to say we dont sell these very often!! the engine retails at over £1800 alone i will be assembling this and testing it on monday i dont know if that thought fills me with excitment or fear to be honest :wacko:  :hide:  

thats mental Ben ive never seen one before it looks bl--dy dangerous i certanly would not want to use it whats he going to cut? giant redwoods :D

hi nigel its going to be used to plank whole trees the saw will go in a gig and slide along whilst ripping through the tree 

ive got to rig it up on monday and fire it up and test it not reeally looking forward to it!!!!

too right it is its all i can do to lift it as you would a normal saw and it hasnt got the chain on or fuel in it yet i would like to see it at work though im sure it will be a sight to behold !!!

'WOW' makes my MS440 look like a toy!  When that thing's in action this is where I would be! :hide:

well think of me on monday when i have to fire this thing into life and test it :omg:

I'm not sure I'd want to be in the same room with it, yet than have a go at using it!!    That's a scary chainsaw Ben, thanks for posting it :thumbs:

Dedicated ripping chain ?

We had a customer running a three foot bar in a planking rig but that one is something else again!

yes its getting a 404 chain and its going in a rig somewhere out near rare breeds centre all will become clear on monday

That's the saw for the texas chainsaw massacre.

you would need to be built like leatherface to use this in the normal way having said that once you have it in the air the weight of the machine and the 120cc will do the rest for you

impressive bit of kit! I made a chainsaw milll a couple of years ago, and use it with my '66 Homelite C91.. not quite in the same league as that beast though.. having said that my brother bought the saw for £1 (not a typo), and the mill cost me a few bolts to make, so value for money wise, it's not bad.. ;)

post-217-0-10346100-1407167061_thumb.jpg

I later put a handle on it to help, but it's pretty heavy to wield (especially when you're a 9stone weakling like me), though not so bad once cutting in the wood.

post-217-0-39099600-1407167343_thumb.jpg

well monday came around and the beast was pulled into life being brand new i ran it up first without the 5ft bar and 173 drive link chain then once id made the chain i assembled it all and ran it on the workshop floor my collegue adam help steady the the saw whilst running it so i could film the beast i will post the video although fairly boring its just running on the floor no actual cutting going on i will ask the customer if i can attend when its in operation to video it in planking mode

well monday came around and the beast was pulled into life being brand new i ran it up first without the 5ft bar and 173 drive link chain then once id made the chain i assembled it all and ran it on the workshop floor my collegue adam help steady the the saw whilst running it so i could film the beast i will post the video although fairly boring its just running on the floor no actual cutting going on i will ask the customer if i can attend when its in operation to video it in planking mode

It would be great to see it in "planking mode", do what you can to get a video of it Ben :)