HeadExam

The Great Flood Part 2

We got another 5 inches of rain this week. We have been able to keep the water out through diverting it with a small trench, but I don't think we are going to be able to keep the water out Thursday. We are expecting another 10" to 12" of rain on Thursday alone. Tomorrow morning we will be raising everything off the floor and hoping it doesn't get more than 12" inside the house

It has never flooded here in the 20 years I have been here. We have had almost 30 inches of rain this year to date, last year we had 29 all year. As bad as it may seem to me, there are others South of me in both Oklahoma and Texas that will lose their homes, many will be flooded and some will be swept away. it has already occurred a few weeks ago and this round will be worse. I have been digging moats and piling large piles of dirt in a berm around back. The county gave me a dump truck load last go-around that they scooped from the bar ditch

Hurricane Bill is almost here, it has hit Dallas and all the streets are under water and now its moving our way. Right now its about 70 miles or less south of us. Our area is forecast to receive 10-15 inches between now and Thursday evening

We have a small spillway in the shallow part of the lake to release the overage, here is it running one week ago, more than double is coming out now.

remember this lake is 15 miles long.

Here is another video taken today at the small spillway releasing 14 million gallons of water per minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfX708wWUJU

Lake Keystone dam 35 miles southwest of us releasing water.

Grand Lake at Pensacola Dam releasing water 40 miles north east of us

We have over a dozen lakes within 75 miles of us that are all over 10 miles long, grand Lake has 1800 miles of shore line

When I started to watch that first one, I thought all it needs is some mad canoeists. Sure enough, they turned up. :D

5 years ago three 18 year old boys drowned the day after graduation attempting to canoe the rapids at the spill way, the currents are unlike a natural waterway and large boulders are right beneath the surface of the water. it was  a sad day for the town.

The hurricane when it comes inland usually spawns many Tornadoes, it looks like this one is no different, Tornadoes south of us heading this way, but I doubt they can stay on the ground that long. I don't mind the twisters as much as the floods, I knew I shouldn't have prayed for rain so much last year.

http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/OOLO.lakepage.html

were running 15,717,220 cubic feet per minute of water out the spillway right now, or about 27,000 cubic feet per second

I feel your stress Alain , we too were in similar situation last year with local flooding .

I really hope you don't get too much damage & you are all safe.

The house in the pic surrounded by water is not my house but one of the neighbours .

post-5-0-36998800-1434617565_thumb.jpgpost-5-0-44019100-1434617585.jpgpost-5-0-15775600-1434617542_thumb.jpg

Thanks all, we made it through high and dry. The storm veered east and missed us some. I piled lots more dirt at the back and along with the trench I dug it kept the water from coming in. I still need several more dump trucks worth of dirt. My thoughts and prayers are with those that bore the brunt of the storm, they are evacuating and sheltering away from home and will go back to ruined homes, some will have lost family members, one has already lost a two year old that was swept away in a store parking lot. Very sad.

Glad to hear you that you survived the flooding and that you're safe. Might be a good thing to retain the earth bank around your property for possible future flood threats.

It will not only be retained, but added too as well. I plan on bringing in 20 tons or so, maybe 40

Alain, I am pleased that you are safe and managed to escape the flooding without any damage to your property. Nature has a habit of bringing on some nasty surprises, usually when we are least expecting it.

Alain, I am pleased that you are safe and managed to escape the flooding without any damage to your property. Nature has a habit of bringing on some nasty surprises, usually when we are least expecting it.

Yes it does, we have had a few dry years recently and this year the spigot was turned on. 30+ inches of rain in 6 months is about 6-9 more than usual which doesn't seem like a lot except that most of it came in 40 days

Seemed like it rained for 40 days and 40 nights. it's in the high 90's now with high humidity, that issupoosed last for some time. Had I been basting one of the neighbors cows with marinade during the rain, by next week it would have been slow cooked brisket.