meadowfield

Inherited lawnflite ride on

In the back of the shed there was a lawnflite hydro with grass collector. The previous owner said I could have it, so I agreed...knowing it was probably a flat battery :)

post-100-0-79790900-1439472195_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, hooked up a jumped start and nothing, just a solenoid click....

Hmm, tried to turned over by hand... Just moved. Unscrewed the oil filler cap to check the oil. Plenty of oil - infact too much, and it stinks of fuel. Drained a gallon of petrol and oil from the oil pan! Previous owner or kids have filled the crankcase with petrol to the top!

Refilled with engine oil and engine turns over pumping a lot of fuel out of the bore. Left it a while to evaporate and tried starting. Big mistake, the exhaust and air filter were full of fuel... BANG :(

Abandoned for now, will take a look later when my ears stop ringing

post-100-0-79790900-1439472195_thumb.jpg

if the float sticks on them it fills the sump with petrol mark

I think you might be onto something Nigel...

Does anyone know if you can get the bits? I'm struggling to find anything, engine model 274826 doesn't show on the Briggs site...

Nigel's diagnosis is almost certainly correct - a common problem with gravity fed fuel systems. That Briggs number looks a bit suspect, can you post the full Model, Type and Code numbers?. Also, there should be an MTD model sticker either on the underside of the seat or on the chassis below the seat. Shouldn't be a problem with either the Briggs parts or the MTD / Lawnflite parts.

Got a text off a mate about a Lawnflite. Having trouble getting a wheel off to mend a puncture. Taken out bolt that goes through axle, but wheel still won't come off. Rusted on maybe?

Got a text off a mate about a Lawnflite. Having trouble getting a wheel off to mend a puncture. Taken out bolt that goes through axle, but wheel still won't come off. Rusted on maybe?

Easy to do all sorts of damage trying to get a bad one off. Quickest in the long run to drop the transaxle, split it and find someone with a press and push it out. Even then, make sure that you support the centre boss on the press bed and don't push against the rim.  Seen fifteen tons on the gauge on a bad one!

or repair the puncture / fil with OKO or similar /  fit a tube with the wheel in situ !

That cowling sticker with family name numbers is a bit misleading, what is needed  is the three sets of numbers under the words Model, Type and Code. On older engines they were stamped into the cowling above the spark plug , then later on a riveted on tag  or on some overhead valve engines stamped into  the rocker covers. if you should need engine parts they are essential.

Should have said, your 13AA number makes it a 2004 model 703. Parts should not be a problem . Lawnflites tend to be very fussy about belts - use genuine.

woa...

found the carb rebuild kit - 679241, been quoted £81.06 for it at my local dealer.

sounds steep - how much should I be paying?

There were two carbs used on that engine Walbro and Nikki. The part number that you quote is for the o/h kit for the Walbro and is £51.15 inc vat Retail.

There is a carb 794572 that can be used to replace either of the above £56.28 inc vat retail.

Carb kit arrived Tuesday, carb rebuilt. Engine runs! :)

But solenoid is shot and needs a battery too. Once you work out that it has to be in neutral, cutter disengaged, grass box on, sit on seat, etc.... You can make them work!

I can see why so many people bypass the interlocks, it's a pain in the backside! You can't even reverse with the deck engaged!!!

Anyway, we've had a cut out of it, and child no.1 seems to be up for adopting it, it's had a wash and polish!

post-100-0-25958900-1441395388_thumb.jpg