Triumph66

Picked up another Bolens; another 600

A tip off from my mate Chris about a 600 for sale with a spare engine and another set of tyres got my pulse racing. The seller, fortunately for me, have misspelt the tractor hence why I got it for a very cheap price. I said a year ago that Bolens 600s are rare as hen's teeth in the UK which is why I bought one from the USA which is now docked at Southampton, U.K. which will be delivered sometime this week. It's strange that I bought two 600 in the UK within a few months of each other......

The seller of the U.K. one, bought it from a nursery in Honiton, Devon some 20 years ago with the intention of restoring it. It has sat in his barn in Berkshire since then. My good friend Chris got a friend, Mark, (he got more than one..) who lives a stone's throw from the seller and is happy to help me out with collecting it from the seller. Chris and I have agreed that he can have the spare B&S engine for his 600 project as he will at some collect it from Mark. At some point, Chris will deliver the 600 and my 850 down to Devon to collect his 600 that I collected for him a few months back.

It's great that the UK Bolens Boys are happy to help each other out and make this hobby more enjoyable with like minded individuals plus saving some hard earnt dough too.

The US 600 will be delivered to me sometime this week so I will have two 600s in my collection by a quirk of fate.

Happy Days!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, slf-uk said:

A very worthwhile project, looking forward to the pictures. Something to keep you busy in the cold winter evenings?

Iain

The 600 will be in the queue as I would like to get the 1050 up and running and then the H16. Plenty to keep me out of mischief!

9 minutes ago, Chris said:

Its a project alright . Its been in parts for along time. Its looks to me its got WH rear wheels. The correct ones came with it though:D

20160903_100252.jpg

Thanks Chris for collecting it and good to see better photos on the Ipad. Doesn't look too bad; I seen worse. ;):jaw:

1 hour ago, Stormin said:

I like the style of the steering column.

This is a great picture because it shows what a Bolens looks like with the panels removed. The design started with the 600 in 1962 and very little changed right through to 1978 with the last G14. The chassis tubes were shorter on the 600 and they had a dog leg on the hydros. The steering column is a work of art although the top bush can be a pain. The cast front axle and cradle are unbelievably heavy. The body panels changed over the years and various gearbox, clutch and engine options were available.

Everything is widely over engineered which is why I love them so much. Just as well it is really considering the weight of some of the attachments. This big boy for example weighs in at 550lbs (250kg). Have I got one - no, do I want one - you bet!

Iain

CD-1.png

I think it is a testament to the longevity of the tube frame design that makes them a pleasure to own. The solidity and usability of these little tractors are so appealing hence why having one is just not enough. Working on the 1050 this morning reinforces the passion for these tractors even though I have 'capped' my collection for the time being, I still hanker after another one or two, or three.....:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Stormin said:

I think Alain over in the states, said somewhere that several manufacturers of GT's used the same wheels.

I like the style of the steering column.

I think you are right; certainly the wheel weights were used by a lot of GTs in the States from several foundaries. 

On 9/3/2016 at 4:05 PM, Triumph66 said:

I think you are right; certainly the wheel weights were used by a lot of GTs in the States from several foundaries. 

I believe the foundry was the E. Rowe Co. they made the exact wheel weight for Bolens. early MTD garden tractors, and several brands of walk behinds.They may have made other styles, but  I don't know. However I do not think they made any wheels.

15 hours ago, HeadExam said:

I belive the foundry was the E. C. Rowe Co. they made the ecact wheel weight for Bolens. early MTD garden tractors, and several brands of walk behinds. They may have made other styles, but  I don't know. However I do not think they made any wheels.

Earlier tractors however I thought it was interesting to note that the wheel weights for my Bolens ride-a-matic's are identical to those on my Cub Cadet Original. I will have to check them for markings

Iain

10 hours ago, slf-uk said:

Earlier tractors however I thought it was interesting to note that the wheel weights for my Bolens ride-a-matic's are identical to those on my Cub Cadet Original. I will have to check them for markings

Iain

You are right. E. Rowe, from Martinsville, Illinois also  made the early Bolens weights as well as many of the Cub wheel weights. It is interesting to note that many Cubs and most Allis Simplicity tractors only ran 25-30 pound weight (but stackable), while Bolens, John Deere, Ariens, and others had 50 pound primary weights