slf-uk

Bolens Estate Keeper

On Saturday I bought Tom's Bolens Estate Keeper from him. I have not really had much chance to look at it properly yet, however I it looks like a EK7 and largely original except that box under the seat and the angle iron on the engine cover.

It is not currently running and needs some love.

Iain

IMG_0622.JPG

Iain, 

That's a nice score and pleased that Tom sold it to you. I was tempted by that one up in Bristol but I am just going to concentrate on TFs. I know of a LK that could keep it company and it will fit on a pallet too......

With some advice from the Bolens experts I have been reliably informed that the Estate Keeper is a EK7, model number 930-01. It was made in 1964. I think it is in great condition for a 52 year machine.

Iain

I agree with you that it's in good nick for its age. Good to see an early example here in the UK too.  .:thumbs:

There's a guy on GTT (BrianEK7&EK10) that got a collection of EKs; might be worth contacting him for advice or spares.....

2 hours ago, Triumph66 said:

I agree with you that it's in good nick for its age. Good to see an early example here in the UK too.  .:thumbs:

There's a guy on GTT (BrianEK7&EK10) that got a collection of EKs; might be worth contacting him for advice or spares.....

Thanks for the info Andrew, I will follow up on that. Dr Bolens has a fantastic example too. I have been going through the parts list today and struggling with the ignition switch. It is a Bolens part number I have never come across before and does not appear to be used on any other Bolens I have. The ignition switch on the tractor has been swapped with a switch for on/off and a micro switch (which looks like something I have seen on a building lift) for the starter.

Iain

I just love the LK, EK  machines. Great score on a lovely well taken care of machine. You should be proud to own it! I have been involved with several GTT talk vendors about early Indak switches and possible reproductions and sources, However, on all but one switch I have bought in the course of this "hobby", the switch was not the eventual culprit of the problem, at least not entirely. I have had many with rusty contact points, I have had many other electrical issues that made me think it was the switch, but only once was it the switch. That said, I now have an ample supply of spare Indak switches for my tractors. Indak has a site as well.

Thanks Alain. In this case a previous owner has removed the ignition switch and replaced it with something that resembles a aftermarket car light switch.

i think I will get the tractor running first and then tackle looking for a replacement switch

Iain

31 minutes ago, slf-uk said:

Thanks Alain. In this case a previous owner has removed the ignition switch and replaced it with something that resembles a aftermarket car light switch.

i think I will get the tractor running first and then tackle looking for a replacement switch

Iain

Previous owners are very "inventive" aren't they?

We finally managed to get the Estate Keeper running. My assistant and chief test driver has made a video covering most of the work we did on the tractor and a demonstration of it in action. Very cool machine, I love it

Joseph and I managed to get a small amount of tractor time today. The battery on the Estate Keeper is dead and we either had the time to go and buy a replacement or bodge a different battery in and have some seat time. We spend most of our time correcting bodges but the prospect of some seat time won the day. I recently replaced the battery in our house alarm and the old one is still good even though it is tiny and only 7aH. The EK7 starts really well so worth a go.

The old battery

IMG_2582.JPG.c8ef7f2af429ddbd32474c4a20757bfe.JPG

Modifications to a bit of firewood

IMG_2583.JPG.12f3e69263e7bd98e8dbbdec53bb0605.JPG

Job done

IMG_2585.JPG.bf29b35876ae899346f061756d9de32c.JPG

Despite being a horrible bodge it works well. It started well despite not being used since August and Joseph cut some grass with the tractor. He let me have a go too and I realised that it is the first time I have driven this tractor.

If the battery holds up we will make a proper frame for it.

Iain

Great to see the old girl up and running. These old tractors really work better if they are started and ran often, they don't like to sit around much.

On 7/16/2017 at 3:29 AM, slf-uk said:

We finally managed to get the Estate Keeper running. My assistant and chief test driver has made a video covering most of the work we did on the tractor and a demonstration of it in action. Very cool machine, I love it

Very professional video, great job Joseph and Iain

5 hours ago, Triumph66 said:

Good to see it up and running again. Always best to keep these vintage machines running...... 

Did you happen to notice that Joseph wears Bolens Green, not John Deere Green, lol

On 1/28/2019 at 11:29 AM, Alan said:

Now we know who has been making the mysterious crop circles.  It was Joseph   :omg:  And everyone thought it was Aliens.

:) Alan, I am sure you know who got in trouble for letting him mess up the grass :unsure: