Sign in to follow this  
Stormin

Rake - brush thingy.

While down south earlier this year, The Showman showed me this rake, scarifier, he'd modified to go on the back of a Wheel Horse.

Rake - brush 001.JPG

He not having any real use for it, it found it's way into my trailer.

Made to fit into a slot hitch, it was not really what I had in mind. I wanted it to fit the tool bar I use for ploughing.

So this.....

Rake - brush 003.JPG

Was modified to this.

Rake - brush 004.JPG

The pin hole was opened up and a spacer bush welded on. In hindsight I think I should have left the spacer free. Then it would have been able to also fit a slot hitch. Maybe a furure mod.

So I had this.

Rake - brush 006.JPG

Next job was to make it angle adjustable. So a plate was welded on with a couple of pin holes. It now does this.

Rake - brush 007.JPG

One way or t'other.

I have now to make up a removable plate to keep it in the straight back position. I know how I'm going to do it, but need some plate.

So on to the brush part.

These brushes arrived a while back courtesy of Doug. (Ranger)

Rake - brush 002.JPG

I need to make up a clamping arrangement to fit them to the rake. Although I have an idea, again, shortage of material has brought things to a stop.

Also it was starting to get cold(er).

Yesterday, acquired some aluminum angle and some half round brass bar, that was just the right width for the slots in the brushes. So today made up some clamps. Not enough material to do full width clamps. So I've made eight. Four each brush. Two each side.

Rake = brush 002.JPG

The round bar has been drilled and tapped 6mm and the angle to suit. The holes in the angle I'm going to elongate slightly vertically. This will allow me to adjust the locating keys to suit the slots in the brushes nicely. Also, washers are used as spacers to locate the keys fully into he slots.

Although not very clear in the photo, the top edges of the brushes have been rounded off, to clear the inner corners of the angle.

Rake = brush 003.JPG

Elongated the holes in the brackets today and while doing so I had an idea. Instead of fitting the keys inside of the brackets, I fitted them on the outside. This made fitting them easier.

rake - brush 002.JPG

All ready to test.

rake - brush 001.JPG

The result after a trial run on the leaf covered lane past next doors gate.

rake - brush 003.JPG

That was after several runs. I found going in reverse was best. Although it cleared quite a lot of leaves, it was not the result I was hoping for. I think there was two problems. (1) The leaves were soaking wet. (2) The rough nature of the lane.

I think a better result would be had with dry leaves.  Also on a flat surface like a concrete yard.