Jump to content
Anglo Traction

Vintage Fuel Tap saved

Recommended Posts

Asked if I could do something to save this Fuel Tap from an early 60s machine for a friend. I first tried to obtain the part as a spare from the manufacturers (Karcoma). They still produce them for various motorcycles etc . No parts available even though the design is pretty well unchanged.

The original little screw on Filter Cup is plastic with a coin slot and hex end to undo it. A mistake in design really, as they are likely to be over tightened, I suppose as there are no spare parts, they can sell more for replacement (up to £35.00 each) -

 

DSC01797.JPG.f6344a04114abe3e8712235255413980.JPG

 

The cup is the 3rd fuel filtration process which will also separate and retain any water (small quantity) and has a small cylindrical filter which fits onto small spigots both in the cup and the Tap body, so I had to measure carefully to ensure it is not crushed when the Cup is screwed on, but that the seal doesn't leak.

 

I settled for Brass to make it, which allowed me to do all the work and produce and insert the small internal spigot, then Hard solder it in the exact position.

I also had to I.D. the thread form (metric 18 x 1mm) and cut it on the old Myford (imperial). After reading up on it, I had to do this by manual turning, as you can't disengage the 'Leadscrew' drive, or it will be misaligned!. All went well-

DSC01798.JPG.edbbce9cd64eef2f24dc2fc0df1bbc5f.JPG

 

Fortunately, there were only 4 full threads and it was the first time for me producing them. 

To finish it off, I produced a new sealing washer from reinforced Viton rubber of the correct thickness. 

To reduce the over tightening factor, I added a 'reeded' finger grip area on it, rather than a screwdriver slot etc. All finished ready for years of use-

DSC01800.JPG.3e26e2645022b06fe638224f91a6eae0.JPG

 

            

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It just reinforces the view that everything is now about money and the way of the world is why sell a rubber bush when you can sell a whole new bracket!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't usually like to revisit old Topics, but this Tap came back to haunt me.

I started dripping fuel out of the Tap and apparently emptied the fuel out on the floor probably over last winter.

Having concerns that my workmanship, or the materials I had used were at fault, I took it back to find the cause.

Glad to say the bits I did were not faulty, but found the fuel was leaking out of the lever end.

So I stripped it down on the understanding that if I can't fix it, they will have to replace the whole unit (if they can find one).

Talk about over engineered!. Seven separate parts just for the tap lever control !, including a plastic type seal which had dissolved/rotted which was causing the leak-

 

DSC02115.JPG.3ab095b5f8f570bb67cad5967e6cfd26.JPG

 

So as usual, I hit the challenge and went for making a replacement seal from fuel resistant 1.5mm thick nitrile/nylon reinforced rubber.

I had to make 2 special punches that could cleanly punch through the tough layers and in the correct positions-

DSC02116.JPG.8aca377236cbb71174a3ce11664960ff.JPG 

 

Glad to say that when the cleaned parts were assembled and the tap fitted :fingerscrossed:, there were no further leaks:). Hope I've seen the back of this one now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...