Stormin

Service time.

Decided to give the fleet a service yesterday. Engine oil on all except the C-125. That was done after the rebuild. So C-81, The Black Horse and Sears/Roper all got new blood. The trans were drained by jacking up the front and a 3" block under the RH rear wheel. I only did the C-81 and C-125. The oil in the other two was done last year and still clean.

I did find both RH rear tyres on the C-81 and C-125 had no air in. C-81 possibly not sealing and the C-125 has a split valve. They'll be sorted next week.

Today was grease day. Every grease nipple I could find got done. Much to my surprise the Sears/Roper had no grease nipples in the axle spindles. Holes yes. Nipples no. Also no way to grease the axle pivot. OK! I'll do something about that.

Jack up the front and lower on to axle stands. Keep the H&S bods happy. Removed the track rods from the spindles and spindles complete with wheels. Why make work. Then the axle itself after removing the front hitch. With that on you couldn't remove the pivot bolt.

P1020754.JPG.3fd6f25f013a0ca9edc3f62025741c17.JPG

Drilled out the holes for the nipples and re-threaded to take the larger nipples I had. The nipples protruded into the spindle tube, so thin washers were used to pack them out.

P1020755.JPG.b202211e37d759dcbc70ba6d2d9cf2ef.JPG

Next the pivot bolt. This was over long so lost a1/4" then into the lathe to have a grease hole drilled up the centre.

P1020756.JPG.930caca31ff446ebc19c33b5fead7f64.JPG

Then a hole drilled through the bolt shank halfway along. Finally the end threaded to take a grease nipple.

P1020758.JPG.b526bb5acfd99535b016b2c036e7b859.JPG

All back together and greased.

P1020759.JPG

17 hours ago, HeadExam said:

I'd be worried it might snap

I'm not. Done that before. I would have fitted the nipple in the axle, but that wasn't possible due to the construction of it. Box section with a tube through it for the bolt. Possibly bushed but I didn't look.