Jump to content
Brian Lynch

O&R 13B. (Groomer trimmer)

Recommended Posts

Did some looking around in my shop and located the other O&R engine I have. This came off a Groomer trimmer. See the pics. It runs wide open all the time. It was built with a Tillotson HU that has no throttle shaft. Never had one. No choke either, just the primer button. The only thing to impede air flow into the engine is a screw that holds the base and reed plate in place. Installed a new diaphragms in the carb. I had this hooked up to a remote tank to run it. It sounds like an irritated bumblebee!

P2220001.JPG

P2220002.JPG

P2220003.JPG

P2220010.JPG

P2220005.JPG

P2220008.JPG

P2220009.JPG

P2220004.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting! @Webhead Joe may be able to give some info on those carbs. I've never had one. Didn't have any knowledge about that tool either until now.

Typically you won't need a choke if there's a primer button or bulb but going by the the decal, one would think the "trigger" is a throttle but...  Guess the trigger was the kill switch LoL

Yeah, they scream at 6300 rpm and without any load it will stumble a little.

Too bad you don't have the rest of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I found about these, the "Trigger" was hooked by a cable to the trimmer head. Pulling the trigger let more plastic line out of the cutter head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s really cool!  I have a similar model with the HU carb. I was able to find a carb kit on eBay.  I haven’t tried to run the engine yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Brian Lynch said:

Did some looking around in my shop and located the other O&R engine I have. This came off a Groomer trimmer. See the pics. It runs wide open all the time. It was built with a Tillotson HU that has no throttle shaft. Never had one. No choke either, just the primer button. The only thing to impede air flow into the engine is a screw that holds the base and reed plate in place. Installed a new diaphragms in the carb. I had this hooked up to a remote tank to run it. It sounds like an irritated bumblebee!

 

The Groomer string trimmers (weed wacker) were made in the late 1970's by Advanced Engine Products Incorporated (formerly known as O&R), this was towards the end of AEP (O&R) as the company was dissolved in 1978. Hopefully someone will find a complete trimmer one day. :fingerscrossed:

 

As you've noticed the 13B427 is a constant speed engine using the Tillotson HU38A carb, this is pre-calibrated for constant speed operation only and has no fuel/speed adjustments. The added primer button is for easier starting and the extra tube to the crankcase is to pulse the fuel pump.

 

I don't recommend looking at a standard parts diagram for the Tillotson carbs as they show all the bits not used on the HU38A, the diagram below is from the book "Small Air-Cooled Engines" 16th edition from Intertec Publishing, which has a small section for O&R/AEP engines, I don't want to add the rest as the current version of this book is still available and I don't want copyright problems.

5914b69e5a238_TillotsonHUCarbForAEPModel13B.thumb.jpg.ba293b8c94e4ae1f5292a52873a57390.jpg

 

The air filter would have been on the end of the tubing that made up the pole & handle for these trimmers, the engine stop/kill switch would have been on this handle too. Some models had another tube with handle used as the gas tank and others had a gas tank attached to the starter housing.

 

The trigger mentioned on the decal is indeed for releasing more cutting line on the trimmer head, they called this a "Touch-n-go" trigger. Other models had a "Bounce-N-Feed" trimmer head, this version released more cutting line when lightly bumped on the ground.

 

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, factory said:

 

The Groomer string trimmers (weed wacker) were made in the late 1970's by Advanced Engine Products Incorporated (formerly known as O&R), this was towards the end of AEP (O&R) as the company was dissolved in 1978. Hopefully someone will find a complete trimmer one day. :fingerscrossed:

 

 

I found one and got all excited but the owner wasn’t interested in selling it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have some of the parts to the trimmer but not much. I have the aluminum intake tube that slips over the air intake adapter. Also a clamp that possibly held two aluminum tubes together. One was a fuel tank I'm guessing. I'd love to find another. There has to be one out there in good shape, or with a bad engine I could put my engine on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Brian Lynch said:

There has to be one out there in good shape, or with a bad engine I could put my engine on.

Think we hooked another one. Let the searching begin

Half the fun is hunting is this down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CNew said:

I found one and got all excited but the owner wasn’t interested in selling it.

 

Do you have a link to that one, or save any pictures? :poke:

 

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brian Lynch said:

I have some of the parts to the trimmer but not much. I have the aluminum intake tube that slips over the air intake adapter. Also a clamp that possibly held two aluminum tubes together. One was a fuel tank I'm guessing. I'd love to find another. There has to be one out there in good shape, or with a bad engine I could put my engine on.

 

Here is what the Groomer Estate 400 in this thread would have looked like, sorry the picture isn't very good quality, I don't have any original documents for the majority of the AEP powered string trimmers.

 

DSCN1724.JPG.84d35ca2dce8975503e05862cb02c2f6a.jpg.e01fd4a001aaec23b5431e95f599d2f6.jpg

 

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Factory, I think that is what this trimmer looked like. Did some more scrounging in the other shop this af'noon for a Stover engine ring set and found the other aluminum tube, which is the fuel tank! I guess I have more to this than I had thought. It's been around here for 35 years or so and I never paid much attention to it. I'm thinking my son tore it apart in the mid 90's. I don't remember it ever having the cutter head, cover or shield though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to hear you found more parts from the trimmer, I have some of the small parts for those but sadly no cutter head, I intend to try & build one using a spare engine, will need to make a lot of the larger parts and see if I can find a modern cutter head that could be used with it, this is a long term project of mine.

It would be helpful to know the length of the aluminium tube(s), please could you let me know the size.

 

I do have this parts diagram for an earlier variant of the trimmer (known as the Power Whip), I can't see a trigger control on this version, but the diagram may help identify more parts you may still have.

1461988964_AdvancedEngineProductsIncorporatedPowerWhipPartsListPage1a.jpg.5839bd2786482eb7567e26e4b110d77a.jpg

 

Forget to mention before, looking at the first three digits of the serial number I can tell you that the engine from your trimmer was made in April 1977.

 

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave, I will get some dimensions for the tubes later this week. The trimmer you posted the exploded diagram of is similar to the one in the Smokstak link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave, the pipes measure 1" O.D. they are thin wall aluminum. The air intake tube is around 39" in length. The fuel tank tube is 32" long. Not sure of the radius used, I need to bring my radius gauges home from work to get exacts. -Brian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...