Wallfish

Mono Chainsaw

While putting away the newly finished Chip A Saw, this one was in a box, in the way so might as well start on a new project. Unfortunately the paint is junk so it will probably need to be sprayed. Chainsaws are lower on my list of collectable tools so that's the reason there's a few need to be gone through. This has been in a box on the shelf and hasn't seen daylight for years, just like that Bee Jay winch from the engine rebuild thread. Did I mention painting is low on the fun list? The 2 tools are a very similar in yellow so getting them ready to do at once is the plan for now. There's also and older type Chip A Saw but that is already done, just not painted. Can't remember if the yellow color is similar.

Maybe @JUST O&R 's decal guy can make a couple of Mono saw decals???????? Huh? Maybe? Huh? :D

IMG_0484.JPG.e914f14e6c2b5bd5f032e1f542c44206.JPG

IMG_0486.JPG.bd07827f5aecfccae666fe492f6debfa.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG.3ebd7460e4d56da9a4028339b7121428.JPG

1 hour ago, pmackellow said:

Thats nice !

If you really don't rate it then you had better send it across the Pond to me, lol ! :D

Probably should've known better than to post that comment on here. You guys are definitely more into the horticultural stuff than most people on this side are.

Hey Paul, Are you looking for anything? I know shipping stuff there is a pain and expensive but...

18 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Probably should've known better than to post that comment on here. You guys are definitely more into the horticultural stuff than most people on this side are.

Hey Paul, Are you looking for anything? I know shipping stuff there is a pain and expensive but...

I would love a Tiny Tiger but they all seem to make silly money plus shipping as you say is very expensive.

Lost a generator through GSP as it was blocked and then resold, I got my money refunded but that was not the point ! :banghead:

Paul

14 hours ago, CNew said:

These are too large for the engine recoil cover but should work for the side cover for the chain.

https://www.sugarcreeksupply.net/collections/decal-sets/products/mono-3-5-tree-logo-decal-set

Forgot all about Sugar Creek. Thanks as that size is about perfect for the chain cover and maybe a quick note to them about a smaller one might get a recoil decal too.

3 hours ago, pmackellow said:

I would love a Tiny Tiger

Sending a PM

23 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

Forgot all about Sugar Creek. Thanks as that size is about perfect for the chain cover and maybe a quick note to them about a smaller one might get a recoil decal too.

They should be able to shrink that in there computer and print it. 

30 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

It's not just smaller, the MONO text is rounded to match the starter too, personally I would leave the starter as it is, I prefer to keep original decals that aren't too far gone.

David

36 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

Sending a PM

Best of luck, I tried contacting them to see if they would scale down the decal as well and never got a response. Never know, maybe my emails ended up in their spam folder...  I’m just going to use one on the chain cover.

Do you have one of these saws too Clint?

15 minutes ago, factory said:

It's not just smaller, the MONO text is rounded to match the starter too, personally I would leave the starter as it is, I prefer to keep original decals that aren't too far gone.

Yeah, me too. It was better until some over spray carb cleaner smeared the lower left.

I do but unfortunately the recoil cover was replaced at some point and it doesn’t have any of the original decal :angry:  I bought a set of the Mono decals from Sugar Creek, let me dig around for those and check to see if there were two in the package, I only need one for the chain cover...  Someone might be able to also use this as a pattern and scale it down for the recoil cover but like David pointed out it won’t be quite like the original. I didn’t think of contacting Jim’s decals or anyone’s else to see but it might be an option.

JustO&R:  if your decal guy had one of these new decals would he be able to use it as a pattern to make the smaller one?

13 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

Do you have one of these saws too Clint?

Clint bought this one, I wonder if I should move some of the sold O&R items to this section for reference.

David

8 minutes ago, CNew said:

JustO&R:  if your decal guy had one of these new decals would he be able to use it as a pattern to make the smaller one?

I don know he was cussing me a little he not good with the small stuff I showed him the silver recoil decals he side no way he could

get them that clear

17 hours ago, Wallfish said:

While putting away the newly finished Chip A Saw, this one was in a box, in the way so might as well start on a new project.

IMG_0484.JPG.e914f14e6c2b5bd5f032e1f542c44206.JPG

I have to admit, I do like these little O&R engines and the tooling they design for them to power. Not a fan of Chainsaws, but I like my little 71 Baird Poulan.

Your project subject looks interesting. Is the saw chain 1/4" pitch and the blade 12" ?. Also looks to have a manual oil pump?.

Regards 

6 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

I don know he was cussing me a little he not good with the small stuff I showed him the silver recoil decals he side no way he could

get them that clear

Ok, yeah those little details are probably challenging unless you have some higher end equipment.

40 minutes ago, factory said:

David

Since I’m going to have to paint my recoil cover I might just go back with a standard O&R decal. Would be nicer to have the Mono decal on there but o’well...

11 minutes ago, CNew said:

Since I’m going to have to paint my recoil cover I might just go back with a standard O&R decal. Would be nicer to have the Mono decal on there but o’well...

Mask it off ?

12 minutes ago, Anglo Traction said:

Is the saw chain 1/4" pitch and the blade 12" ?. Also looks to have a manual oil pump?.

Yes. 1/4" pitch chain and a 12" bar. Manual oiler, seems all of the O&R saws are manual. Mine is missing the the plastic knob

39 minutes ago, Wallfish said:
55 minutes ago, Anglo Traction said:

Is the saw chain 1/4" pitch and the blade 12" ?. Also looks to have a manual oil pump?.

Yes. 1/4" pitch chain and a 12" bar. Manual oiler, seems all of the O&R saws are manual. Mine is missing the the plastic knob

So these have a different pitch chain to the more common O&R/ORline versions (& rebrands or these)?

1401963539_OhlssonRiceSearsLightweightUtilityChainSawPartsListSep68Page2a.jpg.413db4975ba699c1de10956873027cea.jpg

Some of the later O&R/AEP powered chainsaws did have what they claimed was an automatic chain oiler, from old adverts I suspect they just incorporated it into the throttle control.

David

3 hours ago, CNew said:

Mask it off and paint everything else? At least that's what I'm gonna try

2 hours ago, factory said:

So these have a different pitch chain to the more common O&R/ORline versions (& rebrands or these)?

Uh Oh, did I give wrong info? Thought they were 1/4 but again, chainsaws aren't really my thing. Will have to go out and take another look at the chains

I only have parts lists for O&R made (& rebrands) chainsaws and the later 6 digit part numbers don't give any sizes, also I can't confirm that other manufacturers used the same chain & sprocket as O&R did.

David

5 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Mask it off and paint everything else? At least that's what I'm gonna try

I might mask off the decal on the chain cover.  Still have to paint the recoil cover and probably use a standard decal.

Slow progress on this one but it's close. Been stay'n up late and pecking away at it.

The paint is a little light of a tint for the yellow but it's staying. And no way was I going to spray paint everything like the originals were done. I was able to save the original recoil decal. Got it peeled off then painstakingly had to very carefully scrape off all of the stuck paint from the back of it. Scraped off the smearing and dinge from the white parts and touched up the color parts. It came out alright but still need to spray a coat of clear over it. Clint helped me out with the wording of the tank decals and those were just printed on my own. The aluminum handle was broken down at the bottom where it bolts on so had to fix that too.

IMG_0508.JPG.72a990ab22e2bbca4c1536b286d88521.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG.02e5f8d32632d5b9e3e5cbf182f5dad7.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG.3c79f35f196fd47619b97db3eebb0b38.JPG

Man thats looking really nice!  I’m with you, I don’t plan to paint everything on mine either, looks so much better having the normal engine parts not painted.  Nice job removing the original decal!  Do you still need/want one of the decals for the chain cover side?

4 minutes ago, CNew said:

Do you still need/want one of the decals for the chain cover side?

I ordered some from sugar creek

Might be interested in going in on some chip a saw decals. Do you still need pics and dimensions for that?

Probably best to reply about those over in that thread