meadowfield

Don't you just hate it....

When halfway through grinding or cutting, your tool of choice decides it's had enough.

My trusty angle grinder stopped so fierce that it undid the disc and launched it across the garage.

post-100-0-07344700-1395484918_thumb.jpg

The bearing on the end of the armature has seized solid :(

Could of been  a story for the bumps & bruises dept

Fortunately not!

Hoping a £1.50 purchase cures it....

That could have been nasty. :o  Got a scar on my right forearm from a disc that burst.

Nice bench and workshop BTW.

It's just the right height, I keep joking about bolting a vice on one end..........

A lucky escape there Mark!

I've had a few grinders self destruct on me... Bearings fall apart, one chewed up the drive teeth, the one that went up in smoke while I was using it is the one that sticks in my mind the most.

I remember not so long ago, a apprentice at work thought he new it all and was using a thin cutting disc for mild steel to cut aluminium. He was advised not to do it but learnt the hard way, it exploded and stuck in his leg. As all us welder/fabricators know or the posh title that confuses everyone Fusion technicians. Aluminium will clog the disc up then shatter.

Paul

I will admit that I have used the thin steel discs for cutting ally... But only thin-ish sheet ally, which hasn't caused any problems.. I have read that the trick to it is to rub some wax on the disc first, but I've not tried it..

I have been lucky over the years and only had on disc explode on me.. I was lucky as the shrapnel all went into the large bit of steel box I was cutting and not at me!

I will admit that I have used the thin steel discs for cutting ally... But only thin-ish sheet ally, which hasn't caused any problems.. I have read that the trick to it is to rub some wax on the disc first, but I've not tried it..

I have been lucky over the years and only had on disc explode on me.. I was lucky as the shrapnel all went into the large bit of steel box I was cutting and not at me!.

"Google"  "Thermite" & then imagine what could happen in a grinder guard with rusty iron swarf from grinding steel & then powder from grinding aluminium, a few hot sparks & you have an incendiary you can't put out. It always frightens the  c++p out of me when I come across a bench grinder with the wheel loaded with ally.

With modern grinders it doesn't seem to matter whether one buys expensive or cheap it's luck of the draw how long they last but I've got a Wolf Grinderette that is over 40 years old and still going strong. However in fairness to all the Bosch, Hitachi etc etc that have bitten the dust at work the Wolf has never left my home workshop.

I'm extremely hard on 4" and 4-1/2" grinders, mainly because I don't want to operate a heavy 6" or 7" grinder. I've suffered many cuts and abrasions from flying pieces

On 3/22/2014 at 3:42 AM, meadowfield said:

When halfway through grinding or cutting, your tool of choice decides it's had enough.

My trusty angle grinder stopped so fierce that it undid the disc and launched it across the garage.

post-100-0-07344700-1395484918_thumb.jpg

The bearing on the end of the armature has seized solid :(

My 4 1/2" Bosch angle grinder also started to labor down and when it was off you couldn't turn the flap wheel at all. Lucky it didn't melt and destroy the plastic bearing mounting.

The small bearing as in your photo had seized up, it was a shielded bearing now replaced with a sealed bearing a $4.73 USD bearing. Also added a little disc brake wheel bearing grease to the gearbox she's good as new again. Same with Porter Cable power tools, they went cheap installing junk shielded bearings vs sealed as well oiled not greased that had run dry and failing bearings. Everyone now sealed bearings. Milwaukee power tools made in China rubbish living off their past tool reputation of their older made in the USA Milwaukee tools. 

Lucas and Bosch starter motor in the 95 Land Rover Discover were all rubbish, the Nippon starter out lasting them all. Good thing a 5 speed and can bump start it a rare vehicle in the USA vs automatic transmission rubbish.

Edited by BeemerNut