Bill42mb

Polaris Power Pole outboard

I was given what was described as a "really small outboard" which turned out to be one attachment of many that were available. I wanted to get it running, but when I took the carb apart the check ball was missing, as well as the roller that goes under the spring. Does anyone know the diameter of the roller? I'd like to get it running this weekend so I can take it to the lake! 

20200717_151542.jpg

15950821746027066287741697423168.jpg

Edited by Bill42mb

Welcome to the forum!  That’s a great outboard you have there.  There are two size balls used for those carbs, 1/16 and 3/32 so not sure which one you have. Do you have a photo of the inside where the ball seats?  The little rod that the spring legs ride on is not easy to find but I’ve had success just cutting one from small piece of rod or something, even used a heavy duty paper clip once.  Or, you can go a more precise route and get the correct diameter rod at a hobby store. K&S makes a bunch of small rod, brass tubing, etc. and a lot of good ACE hardware stores even carry it.  I believe the little roller rod is 0.063-0.065” in diameter.

Also, be sure to click the Ohlsson Rice home page as there is a really good carburetor rebuild tutorial if you get stuck.

That looks like the newer one with the little rubber made on the arm ?

Does the arm have a little hole in it ?

A few pic of the inside of the carb would help

:WMOM:

Kind of hard to tell without seeing inside the carb, the service info suggest that carbs with the external check valve on the inlet contain the diaphragm arm with the rubber pad.

David

3 hours ago, Bill42mb said:

I'd like to get it running this weekend so I can take it to the lake!

These engines usually need a full rebuild to make them run well, best to take something else if you were planning to use it this weekend.

Check the air cleaner for old crumbly foam as this make a right mess of the inside of the engine if run with it and it gets sucked in.

The gearbox with probably need the dried out oil cleaning out and some fresh grease used instead (as recommended in the later service info).

David

1 hour ago, JUST O&R said:

That looks like the newer one with the little rubber made on the arm ?

Does the arm have a little hole in it ?

A few pic of the inside of the carb would help

I'll get a picture of the inside later today, the arm doesn't have a hole in it and the 1/16" balls that I bought are a perfect fit, so I'm thinking that's what type it is. 

47 minutes ago, factory said:

These engines usually need a full rebuild to make them run well, best to take something else if you were planning to use it this weekend.

Check the air cleaner for old crumbly foam as this make a right mess of the inside of the engine if run with it and it gets sucked in.

The gearbox with probably need the dried out oil cleaning out and some fresh grease used instead (as recommended in the later service info).

David

The air cleaner did have foam, but I cleaned it all out. The engine was very clean overall and has excellent compression. I'll open up the gearbox and see what's in there and give it a good cleaning. My "weekend" actually runs into next week, so maybe I have time lol

Thanks for all the input, I'll get further into it maybe this evening, and take more pictures. I'm glad I found this forum, and appreciate the help!!

1 hour ago, Wallfish said:

:WMOM:

As suggested a paperclip works well for making a replacement rod. You'll probably need a new diaphragm as well.

Thanks, the diaphragm is still pretty flexible, but I will replace it for sure. The paperclip is a good idea, I'll try to get it going as is for now, then rebuild it properly afterwards. 

1 hour ago, CNew said:

Were you able to get it running?

Runs but not quite right.  Didn't go to the lake, need to make a roller for under the spring. I'll get that done this weekend, and I'm planning to take it up the week after Simcoe day

23 hours ago, Bill42mb said:

Runs but not quite right

Most likely the poor performance is leaking crank seals.

The case vacuum and pressure pulsing is what flexes the diaphragm for pumping fuel. You can try spraying carb cleaner in the ends of the crank to swell the seals in place and a new diaphragm. The induction side seal can be replaced with an O ring

A sticking ball check valve can be another issue. The weak link in these engines are the carb.

Adding a small RC type check valve should help too. Haven't tried these yet but just placed an order for them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2xPCS-1-8-4mm-Inline-Check-Valve-Fuel-Gas-Air-Ink-Liquid-One-Way-Non-Return/262367806603?hash=item3d1657048b:g:fEwAAOSwBLlVDjyO

I'm currently experimenting with O rings as replacements for all the shaft seals (not suitable for very late engines with non-replaceable seals though).

David

David,

I’ve been contemplating that as well. Have you looked at X-ring style O-rings?  I bought a few sizes that look like they should work. Looks like they would provide more sealing surface for rotary applications.

No I hadn't, mainly due to the round ones being available in more sizes, I spent quite a bit of time one day (while I was furloughed from work) measuring parts and searching through data-sheets to find the nearest sizes, then ordered them all individually from one supplier.

David

So, I took the carb apart again, and reassembled it properly. Little bit of fiddling with the mixture and it runs nicely. Hunts slowly at idle, but when the throttle is opened up it runs quite well. Dunked it in the pool and it wanted to pull me in! I'll get a video when I put it on the canoe next week and post the link if anyone is interested. 

Edited by Bill42mb
More info

Here's a short video, ran ok (not so much for this clip) but then starved for fuel after maybe 5 minutes every time. Loosened the fuel cap, drained and cleaned the tank, opened up the carb.. seems very sensitive to fuel level/sloshing. Diaphragm maybe?

Ran great while clamped to a 2x4 in a vise but as soon as it got near water.. or under a load... oh well. 

Get out!, that O&R was really pushing that canoe right along! A video like that can make a believer out of anyone. Very very cool, thank you for sharing.

Chris