Sign in to follow this  
Damohick

1968 Lawn Ranger

After a long search I’ve finally found a round hood! It’s far from perfect but should be a nice little project.

it came with the original engine (Tecumseh 6hp electric start) so first job is to get that running and fit it. It also came with the original deck so once the engine it back on I will source a new belt and see if I can get the deck working. I also need to try and source some different wheels and an original steering wheel.

4CFEA9D0-40B1-4F60-AFCA-F29E0B3A84B8.jpeg

B9BE4FA9-3B80-4D6C-95DA-38C97D168D2C.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Good winter project. :thumbs:

Can't really tell off the photo's, but those front wheels look as if some one has added narrow rims, to the standard ones somehow.

I agree Norm, it looks like the original tiny rims are still there... :confused:

it was indeed a lucky find as it was less than an hour from home and I had been looking for a number of years.

Thanks for posting up the brochure pages, very interesting to see.

The front wheels are still present, I’ve not fully investigated yet as I only picked it up midweek and have been working but it looks like the they have been used as a bearing carrier/hub with the thin ag wheels bolted between the two half’s.

The front rims look to be made out of those 4" split rims you get on sack carts and small trolleys! the rear rims are non standard too and look yo be bolted on with four bolts, the original hubs only had 3 bolt holes im sure. Apart from that it looks to be in fantastic condition, nice find!

I think the rear hubs are original but have been drilled to suit the replacement wheels. 

The engine was missing the air filter housing but I have managed to source one from an atco which looks the same and fits... now to source an air filter!

E72AA0B1-11A5-4EB2-B53B-6113346BD7B5.jpeg

Edited by Damohick

@Wristpin Thanks for the tip on the air filter, I managed to find a new old stock one on eBay the other day for £1.40 + post so a bit of a bargain!

@Triumph66 Thanks, I’ve seen your on a Facebook group I think, that would of been the dream tractor!

@Joseph Your right, always good to meet another Norfolk boy! Looks like you’ve got some nice tractors!

This morning I cleaned took the wheels apart and fitted the new tyres. Unfortunately a previous owner had jammed some metric bolts in the stub axles, so another job for another day!

Edited by Damohick

Started today off by swapping the tyres onto the smaller wheels ...

wheel as it came on the tractor

1A524378-B1F6-4DE6-A6AA-05524D2AC17D.jpeg

first step, split the wheel

D7B48FCE-079A-4942-98D4-4A1578F4C780.jpeg

second step, clean out all the horrible dried out grease

E570BA84-C1DA-4D97-9063-60EFDB0D1AE1.jpeg

one wheel was missing its gasket and the others was in an awful state so I cracked out some gasket paper

6CFE33A7-7E54-44E1-936A-588F182D9ACE.jpeg

finished article, unfortunately I’ve not been able to fit it as the previous owner had used metric bolts to fit the wheels ... at her fix for another day!

2909FE6A-BBE9-4409-983A-A4E2F406FEFF.jpeg

Edited by Damohick