Triumph66

Bolens Lawn Keeper

It happened again, I got first dibs on a mid 60s Bolens Lawn Keeper. This is the one that pivots in the middle. It looks to be solid but the seller recently scrapped the mowing deck (ouch!) which is frustrating to say the least. I need to find an original engine to replace the modern one installed or at least a more appropriate style one and to replace the seat as well. I would love to get a front mounted deck for it but that will be very hard to source. The good news is that it's up and running. It's local to me ( for once!) and as usual I will post some photos of it when I get it back home. These are rare in the US and are even rarer in the UK and I felt it needed saving.

Another Bolens saved, your doing well Andrew :D   When are you picking it up?

Thanks Iain. Hopefully over the Christmas Period as it is up in North Devon. It's a funky looking thing.

Norman, there are essentially 3 classes, the lawn keeper, the estate keeper and the ground keeper. I think the Google images show the estate keeper and the lawn keeper in the same series of photos. Mine is the smaller one if that make sense. The estate keeper has a bigger engine at the rear and can accommodate a larger mowing deck on the front whilst the lawn keeper has the smaller set up.

A mate of mine has a lawn keeper, its all there if I remember. I have seen it.

It did come with a spare bare new deck which we worked out was for the estate keeper.

I think I saw yours on the net??

Bet the mower & the lady are not in that good shape now :rolleyes:

I would not be too surprised if the mower was still in good shape, after all it is a Bolens. I will leave others to pass judgement on the lady.

I wish I had not seen this, I really want one now (the mower that is).

A mate of mine has a lawn keeper, its all there if I remember. I have seen it.

It did come with a spare bare new deck which we worked out was for the estate keeper.

I think I saw yours on the net??

Chris, I wonder if your mate would post some photos of his LK so that I have something to work off? Be very interested in seeing a UK one anyway. Cheers

I would not be too surprised if the mower was still in good shape, after all it is a Bolens. I will leave others to pass judgement on the lady.

I wish I had not seen this, I really want one now (the mower that is).

Iain,

I am really pleased I got the LK though I wish the lady was also part of the deal!

I have been contacted from a fellow US LK owner who offered some help on sourcing elusive parts for the LK. He was amazed that Bolens sold them over here. I will tell him that there are at least 2 in the UK that I am aware of (Chris' mate).

I have to say what really persuaded me to buy it was the captivating plastic garden seat!

Excellent news Andrew ;) Thought you'd gone a bit quiet on the buying front  B)  How did you get another one agreed by your wife?  :P Sounds very interesting though. Its one of these?

16265a.jpg

Daniel,

Yes that's the one.

I have attended some assertiveness courses recently to assert my authority with the missus. I am plucking up the courage to tell her.......

Andrew,

I rang Mark last night, he says he can take some pics but as its a bit buried at the back of the shed you may have to wait a short while :angry:

It / was in full working order when he last had it running.

Its got a Lawson engine fitted which all that needed was the points cleaning & some fresh fuel to make it run :D

He has got a deck for an Estate keeper which came with it, the lady who he brought it off wanted rid as it was her late husbands.

I have not yet had a chance to collect my latest Bolens due to my illness over the Christmas Period but hope to get it organised shortly. In the meantime I taken some photographs of my Bolens catalogue showing examples of a Lawn Keeper plus some details. I watched several videos on these models and the articulation on these are incredible.

.post-259-0-19794300-1420749896_thumb.jpgpost-259-0-91049500-1420749949_thumb.jpgpost-259-0-05350900-1420749986_thumb.jpg