BIGBucks35X

Bolens HT20...A big project

Hi all, my first proper post on here so I hope it's in the right place?!

I have recently acquired this dog of a tractor for a pint of barley juice and a packet of fags! (The previous owner decided a gas torch was an 'all in one' combined tool set when it came to fixing it?!!) Is there any way I can test the gearbox without mounting an engine in first? What sort of speed does the input shaft need to turn? Also the coil thing at the front looks a bit home bodged, should this be a radiator or something, the pipes come from the top / front of the hydraulic pump??

Any help or info would be great!

Thanks

Luke

post-447-0-48755100-1429436315_thumb.jpg

post-447-0-96255800-1429436415_thumb.jpg

post-447-0-03413900-1429436455_thumb.jpg

To test the hydro, I'm thinking anything from 1,000-3,600 RPM would work.

As far as the coiled tube.  That's the remains of the tubing that goes from the hydrostatic transmission to the hydraulic control valve and then to the lift cylinder and auxiliary hydraulic outlets.

The engine would have been a Kohler K532 air cooled flat twin cylinder.

Great! Thanks for the help, I may try and make an adaptor to hook up a corded drill? Jack up the rear end and see if anything trys to move.

Not sure what the chances of finding an engine are so maybe have to look at a conversion?

You've got your work cut out there. But you'll get plenty of help and advice from the Bolens lads on here. Looking forward to a blow by blow account of the rebuild. :thumbs:

Many other horizontal shaft engines will work, even the single cylinder Kohlers, as the "foot print" on most american engines is similar if not exact. In your case a 10-18 hp diesel would be nice as I think you may have access to more diesel alternatives. The HT20D came with a Ducati diesel, but I think a Ruggerini would work as well. I have the parts, and owners manual, maybe even a service manual, pretty basic design, not like John Deere. Jacking up the rear and and turning the tires might give you an idea to start with about the rear end, so would draining the fluid and seeing what;s inside, might use a screen to sift for particles. The hydros are pretty tough in those tractors and they are not that old, late 70s to early 80s. Good Luck. The pint of barley and pack of fags will be long very son, the Bolens could live forever

Wow! That's a good looking machine!

Well the gearbox and hydraulics are working after I bodged a shaft/drill connectornator, but it wasn't man enough for the prolonged playing. So the next a step is to find an engine and I'll be away!!

post-447-0-75482800-1429454382_thumb.jpg

Like the way you spun it up Luke :D

Take it the engine is long gone :( ? Theres a drive shaft to the hydrostat unit which should have a fan on it.

Any single cylinder engine will do ie Honda 8hp plus is fine to power the unit. The old engine was 20hp

The cooler on the front is nothing to do with the tractor, well not on mine?? where do those pipes go??

Just remember, if you get fed up with it I can give it a home ;)  :D

Edited by Chris

Well the engine is long gone now but I did see the tractor when it had the engine in, the guy I bought it from broke the engine up because he couldn't fix the spark plug threads in the cylinder heads, I said you could drill out and tap for the next size up plug but he wasn't having any of it from someone else, (you know the type!).

I do have the little plastic fan and a half a drive shaft (it was removed with a gas axe, as I don't think he knows what a spanner is) I think that bits in my old workshop? Having just moved house theres a bit of everything everywhere!!

I'm not sure what the coil on the front is for but it comes from the top of the pump housing to the front of the tractor then back off to the bottom of the spool valve block. Possibly is someone's extra cooling for fluid coming from an implememt, although I'm not sure which direction it flows yet?

Haha! I've had lots of offers on most on my stuff but always say...

I'll only sell my tractors once all my organs are sold!!

Just can't bare to sell anything I only seem to buy more junk!

Haha! I've had lots of offers on most on my stuff but always say...

I'll only sell my tractors once all my organs are sold!!

Just can't bare to sell anything I only seem to buy more junk!

Hi Luke, I can relate to that.

Ideally you need an engine that will take a drive on the flywheel for the PTO. It looks like you have all the essentials on the tractor. BTW I have an HT23.  

Iain

My tractor is a 1476, very similar, but older Large Frame Bolens with the single cylinder Wisconsin 14hp, just make sure you have the right size crank shaft to use the three pulleys and you should be fine

Time for an update!!

(I hope this isn't considered butchery by the puerists!!)

Well, I started to look into fitting a new engine a few weeks back and this is how it is looking so far!

post-447-0-69990900-1431698559_thumb.jpg

I have extended the chassis and built a frame on the back to fit the bench seat for two people to potter round the rally field and also replaced the foot speed control with a hand operated quadrant assembly.

I have machiened a boss to take a triumph herald UJ flange (and yolk) which I am using to repair the existing propshaft.

I have made a dog drive for the starting handle (also homemade) so it disengages the handle when the engine starts (as opposed to the original which was on a key) and extended the handle shaft out the front of the tractor.

post-447-0-61935900-1431699213_thumb.jpg

post-447-0-65077100-1431699292_thumb.jpg

post-447-0-03588800-1431699363_thumb.jpg

I'm now going to start looking at the steering which will have to go down the side as there is no room with the new engine! I will post some more pictures up as progress continues!!

Also I have some bolens leftovers including the old rear wheel arch/bodywork, bonnet (both in bad condition), some steering components and front PTO parts if these are worth anything to anybody as I don't partucually want to scrap them! Just let me know.

Luke

Time for an update!!

(I hope this isn't considered butchery by the puerists!!)

Well, I started to look into fitting a new engine a few weeks back and this is how it is looking so far!

attachicon.gif20150515_145937.jpg

I have extended the chassis and built a frame on the back to fit the bench seat for two people to potter round the rally field and also replaced the foot speed control with a hand operated quadrant assembly.

I have machiened a boss to take a triumph herald UJ flange (and yolk) which I am using to repair the existing propshaft.

I have made a dog drive for the starting handle (also homemade) so it disengages the handle when the engine starts (as opposed to the original which was on a key) and extended the handle shaft out the front of the tractor.

attachicon.gif20150515_151024.jpg

attachicon.gif20150515_151014.jpg

attachicon.gif20150515_151056-1.jpg

I'm now going to start looking at the steering which will have to go down the side as there is no room with the new engine! I will post some more pictures up as progress continues!!

Also I have some bolens leftovers including the old rear wheel arch/bodywork, bonnet (both in bad condition), some steering components and front PTO parts if these are worth anything to anybody as I don't partucually want to scrap them! Just let me know.

Luke

Luke, I don't think many people think a HT-20 is a rare or unusual tractor that cant be altered into a serviceable machine by imaginative ways, you go there!!!

Did you really put an earthmotor to a moving machine ?  :rolleyes: Nice one! now you have missing a big alternator, or generator for housepower...

im thinking to place an cars old electric startermotor to my husky, to go back and forward easier than now with the huskys own gearbox. first i place  muchpowered alternator from a car to the tractor with an belt..  :blink:

Another busy afternoon in the shed!!

Have finally finished the steering and made the new propshaft.

I have fitted the carb rebuild kit and the engine runs sweet now! Had a short play but it was getting dark so parked her back in the shed, I can't help feeling that the transmission could Do with a new filter and an oil change, anybody know what type of oil should be used as there seems to be an online debate between any hydraulic oil and AFT'F'? Also will the filter be a standard size?

Thanks

Luke

Hi Luke,

Trans oil is red ATF & you can still get filters. I do have  a new one in my shed from the US but you can get them from Central Spares here in the UK