Cub Cadet

Cub Cadet 70

As some of you may have seen as my dad posted some pictures. I picked up a cub cadet 70 the other day with all the original manuals and number plates, here's the pictures of when it arrived.

AEFAC2D3-7AF9-4B66-93B2-CCCE02452710_zps

B02EAA2E-6D29-432B-907F-DD3408C33431_zps

91D87121-7DE1-4DF8-9E90-D75E1E1F1866_zps

3B500803-0FAC-4B69-816C-56681DF17FB6_zps

0872FBCB-0041-4AA7-8281-799DA58F7E78_zps

My fully restored Wheel Horse C-121 had to go to pay for my new project.

E9847DF2-CD6F-41B0-99AA-D48779C314CB_zps

These are the manuals that came with it and also the leaflets from the dealer in Cleckhuddersfax.

3E8E0FC8-998A-4829-A47C-92CA643BA943_zps

Edited by Cub Cadet

Only four of the seven photos showed up for me.  :( Model 70s are hard to find, is it a recoil or electric start? The springs on the rear hitch are not factory, but the rest of the hitch may very well be. I thought the wheel weights may be early Bolens weights, but it is possible that E. Rowe which built the weights for Bolens and many other tractors, also supplied weights to Cub dealers overseas, that may have looked like Bolens weights, but were intended for Cubs, very hard to say. I do have photos of model 70 and 100 weights that were sold here in the US. and even that is speculation unless one knows the original purchaser.

Very nice Cub Ewan, you're also lucky to get all the manuals with it! Are you going to restore it or leave it?

Tom

Only four of the seven photos showed up for me.  :( Model 70s are hard to find, is it a recoil or electric start? The springs on the rear hitch are not factory, but the rest of the hitch may very well be. I thought the wheel weights may be early Bolens weights, but it is possible that E. Rowe which built the weights for Bolens and many other tractors, also supplied weights to Cub dealers overseas, that may have looked like Bolens weights, but were intended for Cubs, very hard to say. I do have photos of model 70 and 100 weights that were sold here in the US. and even that is speculation unless one knows the original purchaser.

I'm no Cub expert as I am new to them but I'm pretty sure the springs are factory as they were an option, from what I've read anyway. Apparently spring assist was an option to obviously help lift heavier implements.

Tom

Very nice Cub Ewan, you're also lucky to get all the manuals with it! Are you going to restore it or leave it?

Tom

I'm no Cub expert as I am new to them but I'm pretty sure the springs are factory as they were an option, from what I've read anyway. Apparently spring assist was an option to obviously help lift heavier implements.

Tom

Yeah but the springs for spring assist on the Cubs fit horizontally inside the frame channel an "helped" the lift rod

post-384-0-35748000-1432565488.jpg

post-384-0-66817900-1432566009_thumb.jpg

I see what you mean, I have to admit I hadn't seen one like this before, it's just weird how both Ewans and mine have an identical lift set-up.

Tom

I see what you mean, I have to admit I hadn't seen one like this before, it's just weird how both Ewans and mine have an identical lift set-up.

Tom

You guys think alike, lol. Maybe someone saw the other tractor or it was a shared idea. I posted another picture on my previous post

Only four of the seven photos showed up for me. :( Model 70s are hard to find, is it a recoil or electric start? The springs on the rear hitch are not factory, but the rest of the hitch may very well be. I thought the wheel weights may be early Bolens weights, but it is possible that E. Rowe which built the weights for Bolens and many other tractors, also supplied weights to Cub dealers overseas, that may have looked like Bolens weights, but were intended for Cubs, very hard to say. I do have photos of model 70 and 100 weights that were sold here in the US. and even that is speculation unless one knows the original purchaser.

I've sorted out the photos now, it is an electric start and the springs are factory as they are in the brochure that came with the tractor from the dealer, this is from the brochure.

A3E0CCF4-D452-4D96-9D50-3F79D01CE922_zps

Tom

Tom

Hi Tom, it is very rusty in places so a lot of new tin work has to be welded in so I will be restoring it. Edited by Cub Cadet

I've sorted out the photos now, it is an electric start and the springs are factory as they are in the brochure that came with the tractor from the dealer, this is from the brochure.

A3E0CCF4-D452-4D96-9D50-3F79D01CE922_zps

Hi Tom, it is very rusty in places so a lot of new tin work has to be welded in so I will be restoring it.

It was factory, but I think it was Auto Culto made to fit on Cubs, but not a hitch that IH or Cub Cadet specifically made. The hitch was sold in order for you to use (and buy) Auto Culto implements that would attach to the Cub and Universally to possibly many other tractors as well. They probably had the same deal that Allied and Brinly had in the states and therefore, yes factory, but not IH, that however is splitting hairs at this point. It does seem that the mounting point for the springs needs to be moved back and attached to the seat mount rather than attached to a rod across the seat brace. Notice the factory IH wheel weights in the picture, you cant see all of them, but they were the same for many years, I still believe yours may be older Bolens weights, but I could be wrong. What I do not understand is how the Universal Auto Culto says it is a three point, when there are only two points to lift, by the holes in the lift straps. I just don't see where the center lift would hook too the implement in order to actually lift an implement, because with out the center piece it isn't a 3 point implement lift, nor could 3 point implements attach to it and 2 point attachments would be difficult to lift  without a 3rd point of lift. It is what revolutionized farming, the Ford three point system. I'm no expert on Cub or Auto Culto, but it would be very interesting to see how the lift worked (I know the thing worked, lol) and what type of implements it used. Does the brochure you have show any other details/pictures? The brinly lift would have hooked into the bracket with the three holes at the lower bottom of the tractor, a U shaped bracket with a sleeve hitch mount, the hole on the top lift would have had two straps attached to the bottom lift and used to raise the implement. The bolts would tighten the implement to the the back of the hitch. the Cub original rear bottom lift was different and used a single spring to the back of the seat brace for an assist, as in the photo, you can barely see the spring at the top.

post-384-0-19622900-1432579645.jpg

post-384-0-01794200-1432579764.jpg

It was factory, but I think it was Auto Culto made to fit on Cubs, but not a hitch that IH or Cub Cadet specifically made. The hitch was sold in order for you to use (and buy) Auto Culto implements that would attach to the Cub and Universally to possibly many other tractors as well. They probably had the same deal that Allied and Brinly had in the states and therefore, yes factory, but not IH, that however is splitting hairs at this point. It does seem that the mounting point for the springs needs to be moved back and attached to the seat mount rather than attached to a rod across the seat brace. Notice the factory IH wheel weights in the picture, you cant see all of them, but they were the same for many years, I still believe yours may be older Bolens weights, but I could be wrong. What I do not understand is how the Universal Auto Culto says it is a three point, when there are only two points to lift, by the holes in the lift straps. I just don't see where the center lift would hook too the implement in order to actually lift an implement, because with out the center piece it isn't a 3 point implement lift, nor could 3 point implements attach to it and 2 point attachments would be difficult to lift  without a 3rd point of lift. It is what revolutionized farming, the Ford three point system. I'm no expert on Cub or Auto Culto, but it would be very interesting to see how the lift worked (I know the thing worked, lol) and what type of implements it used. Does the brochure you have show any other details/pictures? The brinly lift would have hooked into the bracket with the three holes at the lower bottom of the tractor, a U shaped bracket with a sleeve hitch mount, the hole on the top lift would have had two straps attached to the bottom lift and used to raise the implement. The bolts would tighten the implement to the the back of the hitch. the Cub original rear bottom lift was different and used a single spring to the back of the seat brace for an assist, as in the photo, you can barely see the spring at the top.

I understand what you are saying, I suppose that's why mine and Toms has the clevis part attached to it.

This is the brochure, notice they are cub cadet matched equipment, not cub cadet made

E922B074-08B9-40FB-BF17-FEB1CE44204F_zps

This is the only part in the brochure that shows the lift in action, it's not very clear

2206F699-A2A3-44FB-8550-A60FD00FC03C_zps

I've always wondered why CC called that hitch a 3-pt when it's obvious that it isn't.

Maybe it was the marketing weasels that came up with that to make it sound more like a 'big' tractor.

An engineer certainly would have never made that claim/mistake.

I love all the literature you have, very interesting with lots of useful information. I'd love some of those implements!

Tom

I've always wondered why CC called that hitch a 3-pt when it's obvious that it isn't.

Maybe it was the marketing weasels that came up with that to make it sound more like a 'big' tractor.

An engineer certainly would have never made that claim/mistake.

Cub Cadet didn't make the lift that I put pictures on of, the part that they called the 3-pt hitch is the casting that features in the brochure below, this came with my tractor. The pictures that Alain posted is what the Cub Cadet and Brinly 3-pt hitch was like.

2D4DA83F-9B11-4E0F-97AE-68579A736B5A_zps

3CD821FB-E8F2-45F6-88ED-A55496645232_zps

41DD0C79-BF03-4BBA-968E-F52458F0AB9A_zps

I love all the literature you have, very interesting with lots of useful information. I'd love some of those implements!

Tom

There is some cool implements isn't there.

Ewan

Auto Culto was as many of you know a brand of walk behind machine built by Allen & Simmonds in Reading, Berkshire. The lift that Ewan and Tom have was more than likely used to allow Auto Culto produced attachments for the Cub Cadet and other 4 wheel tractors. I imagine that with the influx and increase of ride-on machines Auto Culto saw an opportunity to still be relevant in the attachment business which had a lot less overhead and headaches.I understand there being a lot of Wheel Horse related equipment over in the UK as there is a factory in Belgium being, and I can see Cub Cadet as International Harvester had English and French lineage, but I'm surprised not seeing more John Deere equipment. I'm not surprised in seeing Bolens equipment as you folks seem to know a well built machine when you see and use one. It seems Mr. Howard was so enamored with them, he added his name to the machines so Like David Brown we could suppose there was a Howard Bolens, lol. The Rear Tool Bar, Moldboard Plough, and Potato Lifter in Ewan's literature is definitely Allen & Simmonds Auto Culto equipment. The original lift may have also came with a cross bar for attachments that didn't have outside pins, but without a chain over, or to, the top "stinger" or one point lift, I'm not sure how you would lift the Plough or Potato Lifter, which would be necessary. On the Auto Culto MK2 and Deluxe's this was accomplished by a bar attached to the implement

Just an update on what I have been up to this week....

43FDC849-452B-4FAD-9A0C-CD1919156868_zps

Added a new starter switch so that it will start properly for Newby hall.

E990BCB2-0D1B-41B6-A827-1BB1128E2104_zps

I replaced the bonnet catches with some small bearings.

5FE343A0-77B0-4568-838F-6B45CE837898_zps

Cleaned and zinc plated all of the wheel nuts which were incredibly rusty :/

B699638D-2561-428F-84DE-22E9F9CD1F90_zps

I started on the steering wheel which was in a bad state

DD00AA25-401D-4D3B-BA21-44A5A55F1D81_zps

6C108C0B-47BF-4C0D-A78A-D3303D1ECDBC_zps

Started to fix the split in the steering wheel by using a dremel to grind out the rust and bad plastic

78F8CB98-E99E-4365-B42F-BB9E6411DA1B_zps

There will be more pictures to follow the restoration. :)

You can buy 25 zinc coated wheel nuts for 12.50 on epay, not sure of international shipping cost, but that's enough to do three tractors

Awesome, I never thought to look, might be a plan for when I restore it fully.

Either that's one heck of a big wheel, Ewan, or you've a very small foot. :P

Your getting on well with it. Be nice to see at Newby. :thumbs:

What he said ^^ ;) thanks Norman :) Edited by Cub Cadet

Either that's one heck of a big wheel, Ewan, or you've a very small foot. :P

Your getting on well with it. Be nice to see at Newby. :thumbs:

That's funny. I hadn't noticed that the wheel being farther from Ewan's foot made it look huge, the wheel that is.

Been busy fixing my steering wheel today, here are some pictures.

I used some black epoxy putty which worked really well.

F28E9462-83AD-458C-8320-6BEF7625256C_zps

C75F21B9-D703-42ED-9680-51B2A4A8F9DF_zps

C0D09C1D-8EE7-4E86-A076-3E9FBC35AD80_zps

After a polish you can barely tell it's there :D

BCA02AB5-374E-4DC4-BCEE-5BFDFC11C537_zps

All painted and fitted back on ready for next week.

D5B2406A-1CC8-4792-BF07-5EA770A5FF98_zps

I have added a temporary replacement grill to the front since the old one had completely rusted away and I painted a new number plate as the old one had been painted over.

395001C9-86C1-4ED7-9CD5-4290051952BC_zps

Ready to be loaded up tomorrow for Newby hall tractor fest :D

Edited by Cub Cadet