HeadExam

Bolens 1556 restoration progress

Its been some time since I was able to get on with the restoration on the 1556, but yesterday was a good day. I removed the wiring harness for a rewrapped of tape and removed the PTO to rebuild and paint black, I also lifted the engine to paint separtly. I sanded everything with fine sandpaper then rewashed with the power washer, After drying, (did not take long, a little over 35C here yesterday) I sprayed the OSPHO on rusty and bare areas while I prepared my primer. I used a Alkyd clean metal primer with a hot reducer and a small amount of hardener, applying liberally, many pieces getting multiple coats. Next i will sand and power wash again, then use two top coats of Alkyd Industrial enamel with a hot reducer and hardener. Decals will come after tractor is put together. Its a start, still many weeks to go. Attention to detail is very important to get these back to original.

post-384-0-85982100-1435227570_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-37074800-1435227575_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-27830700-1435227579_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-46984500-1435227583_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-46440200-1435227587_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-50519000-1435227625_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-71661100-1435227629_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-22661700-1435227634_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-82821800-1435227637_thumb.jpg

Alain,

Looks like you are making great progress and it is looking good.

I assume you are painting it with a gun on a compressor and that by reducer it is what we (well me anyway) would call thinner. I would be really interest to know more about the types of paint, reducer and spray equipment you are using.

Iain

Alain,

You are doing another sterling job on this Bolens. Your methodical approach to this project is inspiring. Looking forward to seeing you getting this back up and running and on the road (at least on the lawn!).

Cheers

Andrew

It's looking good Alain, I bet it was fun getting the spray gun into some of those nooks and cranny's...

The "gallows pole" that's holding up the engine looks a handy bit of kit to have :thumbs:

I'm using a one quart cup gun with a compressor. My compressor has a 20 gallon tank, but these smaller compressors don't always keep up, so I use another 20 gallon tank from a dead compressor to have a extra storage of air. I'm priming with Rustoleum White Clean Metal Primer in their Professional Series (silver can) with a mixture of lacquer thinner and synthetic paint thinner, at a 3 parts paint one part thinner ratio, with a 25 percent lacquer thinner and 75 percent synthetic thinner mix, with a small amount of poly converter (hardener). This makes the paint mix really hot and allows it to burn or melt into the old finish, but not too hot as to pull or wrinkle it. I spent considerable amount of time testing these ratios and this works, without the hardener it is a little easier to sand, but it isn't as durable of a primer. For a top coat I will be using Anchor Alkyd Saf-T-Guard enamel #500, custom mix to the Bolens color, it is what is used on industrial coating and equipment all around here. It is a local company and the sons of the original owners still run the plant. Anchor developed the first rubberized latex paint that came premixed in a can in the early 1950's and have had their plant in Tulsa, Oklahoma ever since and sell coatings world wide. They make many different types of architectural and industrial coatings, their exterior house paint is the best I have ever used, their interior paint is okay, but it is also half the price of anyone elses paint. For some time their main business has been Industrial Coatings. I like to use their black tower paint on blades and plows, it is the hardest paint I have ever used, no thinner needed shoot it straight and clean up the equipment immediately with lacquer thinner or Methyl Ethyl Ketone. on my painting of the Bolens with the hot mix and the gun set at 30PSi, I did not have one speck of over spray on my hands, arms, or clothes, look close, not much on the paper either, it shoots and drys quick. I laid on my back on a rug to shoot the bottom side, no over spray on my glasses either. It took 2 quarts to shoot everything, some things were shot twice. That's alot of paint on the metal. The gallons of Rustoleum primer are about 27.00 US and gallons of the Anchor finish gloss paint are around 32.00 US. I can paint two tractors with a gallon of primer and a gallon of finish. It all took one hour including mixing and cleanup 

http://anchorpaint.com/industrial/products-for/maintenance/saf-t-gard/