Stormin

Another mule gone lame.

Some time ago, must be well over a year ago, the bearing on the inner V pulley on the C-125's mule failed. The pulley was one of the pressed steel type, with the bearing sandwiched between the two halves. The two halves spot welded together. I did get them apart but nothing more was done, as The Showman supplied another mule.

Now the same thing has happened to that mule. But to my delight, the pulleys are not tin but cast steel. Bearing held in with a circlip.  :)  So two new bearings to collect next week.

Now the C-125 is Southbend origin, made in '82. The bearing in the cast pulley is a mixture of metric and imperial.

Makes me wonder if the tin pulley mule is original to the 125? Tin as a cost saver? And is the cast pulley mule a Belgium  made item? Or a pre tin one?

Thoughts anyone?

Not seen any pressed tin Pulleys for Mule Drives, only Cast Iron type.

Maybe Mun Investments or Toro went cheap on the brand quality on later versions ?.  edit-

I have Cast Iron versions, one of which is in pieces for a refurb and sell, but low on the list.

Could not find bearings with correct Dimensions in UK, nearest was too skinny at 7/16" wide.

Actual dims are 1.5/8" (1.6250")OD x 3/4" (0.750") ID x 1/2" (0.5") wide. 

Loads available in U.S. but 'Buy n Ship' rates too high commercially and on most Auction Ads.

Be interested to know which Bearings your getting and from where though.

Edit - Just checked and it was earlier. Look's like the changeover occurred in 75 for 76.

The OEM pressed Steel pulleys (2) will set you back about £60 new and complete imported Part numbers are 104974/5. 

6203 3/4,were an off the shelf size at our local supplier, Kent Bearings of Ashford as were 6203 5/8 and 6202 5/8.

If you can't get them locally give them a ring 01233 500005 .

Ok, I see the spec for 6203-2RS-12  3/4 is undersize compared to the original according to the Spec and Cross reference sheets that I have.

Although that range is quoted as 3/4" bore option, the OD is actually measured/quoted as 40mm (1.575"). 0.030" under !.

I would want an OD of 1.625", which is why I could not find a correct equivalent in UK.

The original bearing number is (General) 22162-88, which compares to (Nice/SKF)1630DC or (Shatz) BR9930A in all dimensions.

I imagine a 6203 will just drop in, without the need for pressing?. Will be interested to know how loose the fit is when installed please Norm.

Ah!, that's not good news. Someone's put the wrong size in at some point.

Whatever you do, don't clean the bearing recess back to near metal.I suspect they packed it out with something.

6203-2RS-12 3/4 is the correct spec (2RS= 2 rubber shields. -12= 12mm width) for the Bearings you've ordered.

The width is also undersize by 0.7mm, so will also have been packed out. I hope it all goes back together ok. 

I'll not be stuck, Chris. But another mule with cast steel pulleys wouldn't go amiss. Save me making two steel ones to replace the pressed ones.

You could be right, Richard. The bearing is Japanese BTW.

I'll not be stuck, Chris. But another mule with cast steel pulleys wouldn't go amiss. Save me making two steel ones to replace the pressed ones.

i'll have a look tomorrow and see what I've got

It took me a while to work out what you were referring too as I most of my tractors have a proper PTO to drive the attachments :yankchain:  

It is very interesting that some of the pulleys were pressed steel and others cast. I will have to check out my WH mule drives to see which version they are, might even have a spare one. I have a mule drive for one of my D series but no attachments to use it with :( It will be interesting to see what type of pulleys are used on that.

Iain

I am intrigued to know if mine have cast or pressed pulley wheels but worse than that when I looked I couldn't find them. The D-Series one has cast pulleys and I only found that because it fixed to the front of my D-160. Sadly I am not as organised as Mr Showman.

It could be a good business opportunity to make up and sell mule drive refurbishment kits with cast pulleys.

Iain

Collected the bearings this morning. Just fitted one and it tapped in nicely. Very expensive though. £4-60 each. The pair cost £11-04 with the vat. I also had a good inspection of the pulley and could see no sign of it being altered.

Real glad they fit your pulleys and hope they hold up long time ok.

Still can't find any part number or dimension change anywhere. WH Bearing Part number 101480 only quotes the dims I have?. 

Here are my Pulleys and original Bearings. The pulley 'cast-in' part numbers are 101762/3.

post-94-0-02697200-1437433515_thumb.jpgpost-94-0-92933500-1437433523_thumb.jpgpost-94-0-39913000-1437433538_thumb.jpg

Maybe your assumption of Belgium producing/obtaining some pulleys with a different size metric bearing recess is possible :dunno: .