expeatfarmer

Ransomes Digger

For some time I have had problems with a neighbors drain that crosses our land and so I have decided to intercept it and put in a manhole for rodding access. Good job for the digger so out it came nice hot sunny day, dug the trench, found the drains ( my wife is a dowser ) using two bits of fence wire, spot on location. madepost-292-0-30050300-1441646375_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-76777100-1441646421_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-47533600-1441646478_thumb.jpg the trench much bigger for the manhole and then thought I would go back to the other end of the trench and clean it out ready to lay the pipe. I managed to straddle the trench without a problem until I came to a bit where the wall collapsed under me and pulled the track off the drive sprocket. Ho Hum! serves me right for being over ambitious, now I need to get some more crawlers out as a recovery team!

Managed to carefully jack up the side on the bank just enough to get the track back on. Jacked up the front so we could just get a thick plank, (No comments thank you) under the front of the other track as a ramp and drove it out with the aid of a Fordson Dexta.

He said I could drive it, but between a cup of coffee on his veranda, chatting and admiring the view, I forgot. :rolleyes:

Sorry Norm I will be moving all of them around shortly so come over and have a go anytime.

Thanks for your help, I decided the safest way to clean out the trench was to fill it in and then go back over it.

Pleased to help, Jonathan. It was worth it just to admire the view. :)

Sorry Norm I will be moving all of them around shortly so come over and have a go anytime.

Give me a shout when you do. :thumbs:

Manhole and pipe laid yesterday, backfilled, just tidying up when the dipper arm ram piston nut stripped off the shaft. It has happened before, I managed to re-thread the shaft on that occasion not sure I will be so lucky this time may mean a new shaft. It is caused by the weight of the dipper arm and bucket coming to a sudden stop at the end of the ram travel. I have been trying to think of some way to cushion or restrain the arm , a big spring in the ram might work but would limit travel. Any ideas ?

Would cut digging power, have managed to sort it thread on shaft was ok it was nut that stripped, new nut plus I have now peined over end of shaft rivetting nut on to shaft fingers crossed about to test it.

Have you considered using a helicoiled nut? They are in use from the factory on a lot of the breakers that I work on. Stops things comming undone or stripping probably down to the wound spring gripping the threads tighter.

Can't quite visualise the layout but is there a danger that by "strengthening" a relatively cheap nut the problem could be transferred  to  a more expensive and difficult to fix component?

I think basically it is a design fault, the ram shaft is 1" dia but the end of the shaft is turned down and threaded 1/2",,a 1" nut would probably solve the problem. Best place for a buffer would be between the tam piston and the screw on end cap but as it is now this would shorten the ram stroke and affect the digging depth and reach  a slightly longer ram would be needed.

Machine is up and running now and I have ordered a spare ram with a thicker shaft just in case. I just need to be careful when digging not to fully extend the ram harshly.

Thank you James I am really pleased with it , it is a proper working digger, years ago I used to have a fleet of Mantis excavators I hired out to the gas board etc, they were a very handy tool but very much a single function operation when digging which made progress slow and jerky. The Ransomes flows from one service to the other and has more grunt than is probably good for it. The best thing I did when I built it was to fit an electric start dynostarter. Last night I left it outside and it rained all night, went to the digger this afternoon turned the key and it started and ran first rotation. Having spent an hour cranking over my dumper which annoyingly fired every turn but would not run I know which machine will be fitted up next!