Stormin

Screw fix.

The C-121 (Black Horse) has been standing idle for a while, awaiting a damage hub having a new key way cut. That done and hub back on, everything seemed to work as it should. Except when starting the engine. Or I should say, trying to start the engine.

All that happened was the solenoid made strange noises. Flat battery? Check and fully charged. Solenoid only just over a year old but gave it a tap anyway. Nothing happened. Bypassed it. Nothing. Touching a wire from battery live to starter motor, spun the motor and turned the engine.

All earths and battery terminals cleaned up with emery cloth and tightened. Still nothing. By now I was running out of ideas so what could I try?

Now the battery leads do not have clamps on the ends. Eyelets held to the terminals with hex head self tapping screws. I know, not the best of ideas, but been ok for well over a year. Anyway, I'll put new screws in thinks I, even though the existing ones hold things tight.

New screws and washers later, normal service was resumed. Pity I didn't change the screws in the first place, but who'd have thought it?.

Terminal clamps WILL now be procured at the earliest opportunity.

Clean the connection on the back of the key switch, might test the switch while its out for connectivity. You should have 12 volts to the small wire coming from the switch to the solenoid, if no  the problem is upstream toward the switch, if yes the problem could be a ground, but if you don't have over 13 volts in the battery it may not start anyway

The fault was with the screws going into the terminals, Alain. Though tight they musn't have been making good contact with the terminal. Maybe the type of coating on the screw threads. From silver, they'd turned black.

I like the "over centre" type clamps that Countax and Westwood used to use when they had pillar type batteries. Easy to whip off in an emergency - no tools required.

When I 1st saw the title I wondered if I my account with then was still open :lol:

Glad it was an easy fix for you in the end Norm..

I like the "over centre" type clamps that Countax and Westwood used to use when they had pillar type batteries. Easy to whip off in an emergency - no tools required.

I agree, great things the quick release clamps :thumbs: