harryt

Simplicity 525 serf

I picked this up recently. I think it is a simplicity serf 525. It is a very small tractor and looks quite cool. I'm not sure but I think it is 1969 and I think it has the original engine. Any help on identification would be appreciated. I will prob give it a light restoration some time as shouldn't take to long.

image.jpeg

So, I managed to get the engine going today with some help from Chris. Cleaned the difficult to reach points and away she went. The engine runs very well, however the recoil is broken and it also needs an air filter assembly. It is a 130905 model, I have had a look online but can't really find anything in the UK

Thanks

The manual can also be a help for identifying missing or non OEM parts as well. They are a great source of information on how the machine was put together and how it works and is nice to have when you do need parts and find yourself without a manual. I wasn't implying it was broken or somehow defective. They are geat little machines for a small lot, I've had quite a few 7-8 hp machines that cut better than anything made today, your 5 hp is a quality made machine.

DSCF2728.JPG

DSCF2729.JPG

DSCF2730.JPG

46 minutes ago, nigel said:

So we're they red or orange or both, all the ones I've seen here are orange

They were red, sort of, Simplicity used a red up until the early 1970s, then went to a orange red, similar to, if not the Allis orange, red in 1972 with the 3400 series, the 3300 series might have had this same paint in 1971, not sure. I would say it is a safe bet to say all Simplicity tractors were red (and later some white accents) prior to 1970 and that all Allis tractors were mustard yellow, after 1971-1972 Allis moved to a white and orange scheme for the transition time when they were building their own tractors in Lexington South Carolina, but at this time the Simplicity was transitioning into a white and orange tractor with the 3330-3400 series. When the forced government split between Allis and Simplicity was repaired the Simplicity's were white bonnet, wheels, and fender stripes and orange frame and fender base, while Allis tractors were Allis Orange. The Allis Orange used on post 1974 garden tractors however is not like the early Allis orange used on farm tractors, in fact it may be the third color of Allis orange that was used on Allis brands. Sorry you asked Nigel?, lol. Here are two pictures of the new 1969 Simplicity tractors, the entry level Serf (translation-your a poor bloke) ridden my the lady, and a step above, Yeomen (translation- your a poor bloke with a bad back) ridden by the man, they are the second color of Simplicity red, a little brighter red than the Simplicity used on the older Wonder Boy and Model 700 and walk behind tractor models

pg18_627.jpg

pg20_525.jpg

yep they started using orange in 1969, the 1968 Serf model 515 was red, but they showed the 515 in the ad I posted with the lady driving. It appears in the photo as if the 1969 Serf 525 is red, but all photos I have found, including yours are orange. This is very common with Bolens they have even used a older single cylinder tractor photo on a new twin engine ad brochure.