the showman

Stormin's new tractor

Nice to meet Norm today.  He was just as Chris described, another nutter. :hide:  Chris managed to get a few photo's when Norm returned to refuel.  Most of the time it was a case of heard but not seen as he was plowing through the undergrowth.  More of John's bits and pieces will soon be heading north.   Thanks Norm.

It was a good day at Johns. Good to meet Alan, a fellow Northerner from Gods end of the country, and John at last. Managed to find one or two bits the vultures had missed. If I'd had more time and Chris's van had been empty, I think there would have been more than one or two. :D

1 hour ago, the showman said:

Good job the tea was flowing 

image.jpeg

Chris without tea would be like a car without petrol.  Both would stop working.  The tea was also joined by coffee today.  The kettle never had time to cool off.

8 hours ago, HeadExam said:

It look like a good time all around. Is that a Briggs twin in the Roper? I thought they were Onan's

As far as I know most did have Onan's.  I think, but not 100% sure, that the Brigg twins were only fitted for one year. 1978.   Also think that 1978 was the only year for the black and silver color ( American spelling ) scheme.

9 minutes ago, Alan said:

As far as I know most did have Onan's.  I think, but not 100% sure, that the Brigg twins were only fitted for one year. 1978.   Also think that 1978 was the only year for the black and silver color ( American spelling ) scheme.

do you have a 917.XXXXXX number you could give me? Thanks

48 minutes ago, HeadExam said:

do you have a 917.XXXXXX number you could give me? Thanks

Alain.  The Roper ID plate gives the model number as T5828DR   Serial 3138B01202     I have not been able to trace these on the web but Sears GT16

917 - 257050  is identical as far as I can see.   Info found via Searstractormanuals.com The engine model number is  401417  0127    Type  01   Code  780915  12  which dates the engine to 1978.

Searches on various American forums also indicated that the black and silver color, combined with the twin Briggs, are a 1978 combination. Someone may know otherwise though.

1 hour ago, Alan said:

Alain.  The Roper ID plate gives the model number as T5828DR   Serial 3138B01202     I have not been able to trace these on the web but Sears GT16

917 - 257050  is identical as far as I can see.   Info found via Searstractormanuals.com The engine model number is  401417  0127    Type  01   Code  780915  12  which dates the engine to 1978.

Searches on various American forums also indicated that the black and silver color, combined with the twin Briggs, are a 1978 combination. Someone may know otherwise though.

Here is the manual for the 1974 Roper RT16T which had the Briggs twin in case you don't have it. See if this isn't the same, or different from yours. I haven't found the 1978 manual yet. My Roper/Sears manuals are a mess. BTW, I believe the Roper RT16T was made with the Briggs twin from 1974-1977 and the Roper GT16 with the Briggs was made in 1978 only.

Roper_ RT-16T_T63241R1.pdf

The RT-16T has a lot of differences to the GT16 Alain.  Although the chassis and many of the smaller parts look the same, the fenders, dash tower, gas tank and grill top half etc are different.  The RT-16T grill slopes back at the top when viewed from the side and the headlamps are set lower.   This can just be seen via the parts manual link and also on photos of the RT-16T found on Google images.

I expect there was a lot of variations over the years, as with most things, so some RT-16T's could have had similar parts to the GT16 fitted.  The decals also appear to vary a lot even in any given year.