Sign in to follow this  
Alan

DIGGER DAY

While at John's yesterday we decided that as there was nothing else left to find we would try and find something else. :rolleyes:  There is / was a tangled pile of drain pipes, plastic pots, tins, angle iron etc partly buried in undergrowth at the front of the barn.

IMG_5422.JPGIMG_5421.JPGIMG_5420.JPGIMG_5419.JPG

So out came the digger and with Chris practicing his lever twiddling skills, helped with a bow saw, cutters and our hands, the green stuff was cleared.

The first new find was a David Brown attachment of some sort. Took a bit of removing from the roots of a tree.  The hydraulic ? motor at the end would have revolved via the hand wheel.  No idea of it's use although I expect someone might know.

IMG_5433.JPGIMG_5432.JPGIMG_5431.JPGIMG_5430.JPGIMG_5429.JPG

The only other find today was this grass cutter.  Approx 5 foot wide.  Wheels still turned although one is badly bent as another tree had grown attached to it and put up a good fight.

IMG_5427.JPGIMG_5428.JPGIMG_5424.JPGIMG_5425.JPGIMG_5426.JPG

It was VERY hot but Chris thought he would be cooler in the digger as he had the roof acting as a shade. :scratchhead:  He found out he was WRONG and finished up looking like a boiled lobster.  Now, what else can we find. Where else can we look.

Thought I recognised the single one. Yes, at school, MF tractor though providing power. Can't remember how many and how they were hung on the tractor but they were all lifted and secured clear of the ground so the tractor could drive off on the road to the next job. Having had some dealings with more modern hydraulic motored gang sets this system did seem simple and effective. 

When I was working in the Mendip Mower Co., in 1962 we had a contract to do all Wiltshire County Council's mowers and tractors. I reckon Norman Currel and I did hundreds of those Ransomes Gang mowers. We stripped, cleaned, sharpened and repainted them, we replaced the cylinder blades where necessary. Gear oil was SAE 140 we nearly had to put it in with a spoon it was so cold! They used them in threes, some had steel wheels, some had pneumatic tyres. We also had a number of big Dennis Mowers and 3 Trusty Steeds.  

Edited by Will-Haggle