Joe the small engine man

Transmission oil

Most Toro distributors will get you the filter for around £17 which is cheaper than the us.

Make sure you use the proper one though. There's some videos and lots of pics on the gt14 thread on redsquare

Same here :huh:  Maybe WH do use different oil??

I would have thought Red ATF in the rear & SAE 30 in the engine

Thats what I use in my Bolens anyhow :D

This brings back delightful memories of doing lots of research into oils and filters when I did a mechanical refurb of my D-160. I concluded that SAE30 was the best for the WH engine AND auto transmission. I did not feel right putting normal engine oil in the transmission as it then uses that for the hydraulic lifts, but it has worked well for the last couple of year and was what the experts recommended.

For the filter, I was not going to pay the UK or US Toro prices so I cross references various part numbers until I found a regular equivalent at a better price, however like a muppet I forgot to write down what it was and have now forgotten.

Iain

I am the same too on my BOlens; I use SAE 30 lawn mower oil as they are air cooled engines and as I have approximately 10l of EP90 left over from my Land Rover days for the transmission.

The auto transmissions on WH's are strange compared to the regular autos on a Bolens

You as well eh! :D

From the posts I have read, I think we all either run or in the past have run a LR. Must be something to do with our mutual interest in the equipment we talk about on here.

Iain

It does sound wrong using engine oil, but times have moved on. Things have improved and engine oil on modern cars is used for the gearbox/diff as well....

My C101 has 10w40 in the transmission too for the last 4 years. Only downside is it leaks out faster :D

It does sound wrong using engine oil, but times have moved on. Things have improved and engine oil on modern cars is used for the gearbox/diff as well....

My C101 has 10w40 in the transmission too for the last 4 years. Only downside is it leaks out faster :D

Not just the modern ones! Remember the original 850cc Mini with 20/50 for everything!