Triumph66

Aspen Fuel

On the subject of tranmission oil in another thread I thought I would raise this topic.

Some of you may know that I run a bespoke gardening business in South Devon. As many of you know, modern unleaded fuel goes off quickly and can cause some headache when you need to use your mower or in this case, your tractors/ ride ons after being unused over the winter.

I don't use a lot of machinery as my business is garden design, writing articles for gardening magazines and carrying out the more techical aspect of horticulture. From time to time I am asked to cut hedges, strim grass and fell trees; jobs I enjoy doing. As I don't use my 2 strokes equipment a lot, I have gone down the route of using Aspen 2 which is specially formulated for two strokes engines. Apart from being better for the environment and for the operator (the Aspen fuel is ethanol free and consists of approximately 12 chemicals while unleaded plus the 2 stroke oil consist of over approximately 50 chemicals) the fuel can stay in the tank for 5 years without going off. Modern fuel goes off after 2 or 3 months (if the fuel is yellow then it's stale and is difficult to ignite.)

I have not used Aspen 4 which is for 4 stroke engines but It it has the same principles as Aspen 2. I can honestly say that using this product have made life easier for me and that all my 2 stroke machinery fires up first or second time after a period of unused. For example, my Husqvarna chainsaw was last used in March '14 and it fired up first time in November. As I use my cylinder and rotory mower throughout the season, I use ordinary unleaded petrol. In the winter, I will run it on Aspen 4 so to start up easier when the mowing season begin

I am going to use Aspen 4 on my Bolens. I read somewhere that the company is manufacturing petrol for classic cars for the very same reason (I have a Morris Minor LCV van).

The downside is the price but for less hassle, less damage to the environment, better for the machine and more importantly, better for the operator, I would consider this.

For more details, google aspenfuel.co.uk

Hope this is of some interest.

Cheers Andrew

Aspen 2 is around £19 for 5 litre. You can get 1 litre as well but do not know the price. Yes it is more than unleaded petrol (especially now that fuel is lower than it was a few months ago!). If I used my machinery week in and out I would probably use ordinary unleaded plus the oil mixture BUT having used Aspen2 on tree work and hedge cutting I don't smell the fumes and I don't feel tired etc. Crucially, the machine runs better as the plug isn't fouled up nor is the air filter or the carb. Efficiency is the key word here I think from the operator and the machine.

Hi Andrew,

We well that stuff at my work and use it on some of the smaller machinery. I am by far no expert but I have heard some people experiencing problems with the fuel, that after using the fuel the engine starts to run rough, that's on two stroke by the way.

Tom

Edited by Tom

Hi All

I use Stihl petrol same as aspen two mixture on my chain saws and my combi hedge cutter had to adjust combi engine they all run sweet now.I am also starting to run my merry tillers that I show on Stihl 4 stroke petrol so far no problems

As you know when we show we only run the engine if and when required and do not use a lot of petrol

Thanks

George S :tthankyou:  :england:  :scratchhead:

Thats some very interesting stuff Andrew, I will give their website a good read. 

Funnily enough my Husqvarna chainsaw (2 stroke) actually seems to run nicer using old fuel but as a fresh mix with the 2 stroke oil, old mixed fuel left in the tank it does not like. But do realise this is probably an odd one out.

Like everyone else I've suffered from old fuel just not making things run right if at all.

But I've also experience of leaving my quad for 3 years in the garage and turning on the fuel and it just starting!

I dose all the fuel that I buy for my garden machinery with Briggs Fuel Fresh (aka Fuel Fit) and that looks after the gumming and starting issues. When I had the business all our workshop fuel was dosed with it. In the autumn we would start to "double dose" as a precaution against winter serviced machines "going bad on us" . However I know of one brave buininess that made the decision to use only Aspen in all two stroke machines going through their workshop and returned all machines with a full tank but this gave rise to some machines then not running properly when refueled with customers' own mix and being returned under complaint!

That said, if I were using hand held two or four stroke machinery "for a living" I would give serious consideration to using an Alkylate fuel on health grounds. The problem for someone in that situation is recovering the cost from the customer in a cost conscious competitive market place. Possibly the conditions surrounding its use will be similar to when car seat belts were made available; first as an accessory, then as an option on new vehicles, then standard on all vehicles and finally legislation stepped in.

Very interesting feedback and views concerning Aspen and their competitors. As I said earlier I have not experienced any problems using it and as it's alkylate based I find I can work longer without feeling tired compared to ordinary fuel.

When I use my machinery I charge for the fuel and the use of my kit which amply covers the cost of fuel used.

I am interested in George's (The Fife Ploorman) use of Stihl petrol and Wristpin's use of Briggs Fuel Fresh. As part of my business I also service my customers' lawn mowers and I have put fuel stabiliser in the petrol tanks after the service. I encouraged my customers to fill up their 5l fuel cans halfway and then they can again top it up with fresh fuel a few months later so as to reduce the use of stale fuel.

Cheers

I am interested in George's (The Fife Ploorman) use of Stihl petrol and Wristpin's use of Briggs Fuel Fresh. As part of my business I also service my customers' lawn mowers and I have put fuel stabiliser in the petrol tanks after the service. I encouraged my customers to fill up their 5l fuel cans halfway and then they can again top it up with fresh fuel a few months later so as to reduce the use of stale fuel.

Just to clarify, the Briggs product should be mixed with "pump fresh"  and not added to existing fuel. I add it to my cans before going to the garage to fill up.

You are fortunate in having a quality customer base where you can get the rate for the job . Many of my former contractor customers seemed to struggle to get a decent rate but perhaps that's what they wanted me to think!

Just to clarify, the Briggs product should be mixed with "pump fresh"  and not added to existing fuel. I add it to my cans before going to the garage to fill up.

You are fortunate in having a quality customer base where you can get the rate for the job . Many of my former contractor customers seemed to struggle to get a decent rate but perhaps that's what they wanted me to think!

Yes, I am lucky as a lot of my customers want a trained gardener to look after thier gardens properly such as pruning, plant division, planting out and creating a garden of thier dreams and as such there are very few of us around who can garden professionally.

More to the point, thanks for pointing out pump fresh fuel regarding the Briggs product.

Digging up an old thread.

On Saturday I had the joy of cutting the hedge around our garden which is approx 8 foot high and well over 700 foot long. I hate doing this job because I am left handed and most hedge cutters appear to be designed for right handed people, which results in having the exhaust in my face. I also suffer from sinus problems so I am usually ill for three days after each cutting session. It normally takes me four days to finish the job, which I spread over four weekends.

I decided to give this Aspen fuel a try and I managed to cut the complete side of the hedge in one day without feeling ill afterwards. Just about every muscle in my body aches but I feel fine, the rest is just old age. I used a gallon of fuel so it was not a cheap cut but worth it. Next weekend I will get some more fuel and tackle the top.

Thanks for the recommendation guys.

Iain

I understand your difficulties Iain, as I'm a 'Southpaw' (Leftie) as well, but try to use many things as a R/Handed person does. 

I've also decided to go over to Aspen on the infrequently used and small engine machines like Chainsaws & Brushcutters.

The Atco Sidewheel will run on it as well...... Still too expensive to run Garden Tractors on it. Would be good if they treated it as a special case and at least removed the Duty Charge on it to  reduce the cost and increase it's use.

I am pleased that you guys see the benefits of Aspen though it's expensive the benefits far outweigh the costs in my opinion.

I used my Stihl hedge cutter this morning to trim up several box hedges for a customer. Not used it since well before Christmas and it started second time. Job done.