Phyliss

Which Bolens are unusual / rare?

Good evening all.

I just wanted to put a question out regarding unusual Bolens machines. Which models are hard to find / rare in the uk? I occasionally see the odd Husky Bolens & lighter green & white ride on mower in my day to day work but never given it much thought?

Regards

Philip

Philip, as a bit of a Bolens collector I have to say that these days they all seem rare in this country.

Probably the most rare are ride-a-matics and round hood tubeframes especially the 600. You don't see many largeframes for sale but I think plenty are about.

Iain  

Thanks Iain, as far as i remember ride-a-matics are green & yellow with heavy looking rounded hoods. How do large frames differ from tube frames or standard frames. Also how do Husky Bolens fit in?

Philip

Philip,

The early ride-a-matics were green and yellow and the later ones gold. The front grill is made from cast. The later Ride-a-matics were square fronted still with a cast grill. Husky was the name given to the early tubeframes which predominantly had Wisconsin engines, the 600 had a B&S engine. When Bolens moved to Tecumseh engines they dropped the Husky name and they became G or H series (Gear or Hydro). The husky badge was still used on the front of the early G/H tractors. The easy way to identify a tubeframe is the chassis which is two tubes/pipes.

If you look at my post on my Bolens G14 you will see a picture I posted of several of my G/H series tractors. At the end of the line up is my large frame tractor, a HT23. Also in that post is a picture of my latest H16 which is an early model with the husky badge on the front.

I am sure more knowledgeable people than me will fill in the bits I have missed.

Several Bolens collectors on this forum and we are all always on the lookout for more, so if you know of any for sale do let us all know. For the rare ones you can let me know first :)

Iain

Philip,

Several Bolens collectors on this forum and we are all always on the lookout for more, so if you know of any for sale do let us all know. For the rare ones you can let me know first :)

Iain

Philip,

One of the code of conduct within the Bolens Circle is that the Bolens collectors on this forum are contacted in alphabetical order which by a stroke of good fortune I am first on the list for any rare Bolens!

Andrew

The tube frame 1556 was only made in 1972 and the Large Frame 1477 was only made in 1971, I would think either one of these would be very hard to find anywhere. Even though the ride-a-matic and round hoods are earlier tractors they made many more of them, but they are becoming very scarce. tube frames used two thck tubes attached to Baluster up front and the cast iron rear end in back, the Large Frame was, well, larger and used a heavy channel frame. Large Frames were the first to be able to use Cat 0 three points, previous Bolens models utilized a sleeve hitch for raising implements, and Large frames were hydros, were very few tube frame models were hydros, many not offering a hydro lift either which was standard on the large Frames

Philip,

One of the code of conduct within the Bolens Circle is that the Bolens collectors on this forum are contacted in alphabetical order which by a stroke of good fortune I am first on the list for any rare Bolens!

Andrew

Whoa Andrew, I believe Alain comes before Andrew, your second :D

Whoa Andrew, I believe Alain comes before Andrew, your second :D

Alain, it doesn't count mate as your name spelt wrong! Come to think of it, so Iain's! So that's just Chris and me. No wait, Chris is spelt wrong too; it should be Christopher. Anyway as I was saying, it Dave and me. Hang on, Dave spelt wrong as well. It should be David.

Oh well, Look like I get first dibs for all Bolens stuff after all.

Cheerio losers!

Andrew

Blimey! I didn't want to cause a riot.  :o Only kidding. I never realized there were so many differences & models. Thank You to you all.

If i come across anything fancy i'll inform accordingly. I know i keep a late light green Bolens (Briggs V twin) going for a customer but can't think of anything older around at the mo. It was just in case.

p.s i think i heard mention of a Bolens with loader late last year but i can't be sure. I'll have to remember where i heard it.

Night Night  -_-

Philip

Blimey! I didn't want to cause a riot.  :o Only kidding. I never realized there were so many differences & models. Thank You to you all.

If i come across anything fancy i'll inform accordingly. I know i keep a late light green Bolens (Briggs V twin) going for a customer but can't think of anything older around at the mo. It was just in case.

p.s i think i heard mention of a Bolens with loader late last year but i can't be sure. I'll have to remember where i heard it.

Night Night  -_-

Philip

well the mention of the loader will cause a riot on here, probably all of the bolens folks would want to know where that is, hell i even want to know and i'm a WH guy :lol:

HELP. !  After reading all the above posts I am a bit nervous that I might be flattened in the stampede at my about to be revealed news.  Rapidly building armoured shelter right now.  I know of approx 10 various Bolens which are about to be sold.  These belong to a friend who is downsizing his property due to ill health etc.  I believe I need to get the moderators permission first before saying too much as the owner is not on the forum or internet.

Just as a starter there a two Ride a matics, the cast gold versions, various Husky's, a large frame Hydro which if I remember, is an 1177,  plus, wait until I take cover, a Husky I think, with a front Hydraulic Loader.  Also to be disposed of are approx 13 other garden tractors plus loads of other stuff.  As said above, I think I need the go ahead from the mods before going too far, if I haven't done so already.

If so, mods please delete.

Alan. Spelt the correct way. :lol: ,

HELP. !  After reading all the above posts I am a bit nervous that I might be flattened in the stampede at my about to be revealed news.  Rapidly building armoured shelter right now.  I know of approx 10 various Bolens which are about to be sold.  These belong to a friend who is downsizing his property due to ill health etc.  I believe I need to get the moderators permission first before saying too much as the owner is not on the forum or internet.

Just as a starter there a two Ride a matics, the cast gold versions, various Husky's, a large frame Hydro which if I remember, is an 1177,  plus, wait until I take cover, a Husky I think, with a front Hydraulic Loader.  Also to be disposed of are approx 13 other garden tractors plus loads of other stuff.  As said above, I think I need the go ahead from the mods before going too far, if I haven't done so already.

Stampede started, I need a boat and oar.

Dear Alan,

Thank you for sharing this info with everyone.

I am more than happy to take the lead on this offer. I know the others are too busy to take care of this situation satisfactorily and fairly. In any case I am the only one with the correctly spelt name.

Yours obedient servant,

Andrew

PS Alain, the Royal Navy are on stand by to intercept you. I have told them you are an insane illegal immigrant.

Very interesting, looking forward to hearing more.

Iain, spelt the correct way - honest :)

Dear Alan,

Thank you for sharing this info with everyone.

I am more than happy to take the lead on this offer. I know the others are too busy to take care of this situation satisfactorily and fairly. In any case I am the only one with the correctly spelt name.

Yours obedient servant,

Andrew

PS Alain, the Royal Navy are on stand by to intercept you. I have told them you are an insane illegal immigrant.

I hope they fair better than the U.S. Air Force in intercepting a Gyro pilot at the Capitol, because my row boat will have stealth capabilities and I will be disguised as Stephen Fry. I also do not believe that you are British Andrew, not knowing proper spelling and all.  :D  :D

Alain,

Don't be fooled by its appearance.....

A true story. When I was a Head Gardener with the National Trust, one of my gardeners served in the Royal Navy for 25 years. He told me a funny story about how his ship sailed pass an American battleship somewhere.

The American captain flashed a signal to the British Captain saying 'What it like to sail pass the World's largest Navy?'

The Royal Navy Captain promptly responded 'What it like sailing past the World's best Navy?'

An absolute classic.

Cheers

Andrew

Night Night  -_-

Philip

Well back on topic then!!

Where abouts in West Sussex are you Philip.

I have a large frame bolens with a loader & rear digger in a sorry state atm

Chris

hi alan ime the best moderator on here, so if you want to pm me all the info i can decide if it can be posted :D after ive had first dibs of course :rolleyes:

Well back on topic then!!

Where abouts in West Sussex are you Philip.

I have a large frame bolens with a loader & rear digger in a sorry state atm

Chris

Hello Chris,

I'm not far from you, the other side of Billingshurst. I don't actually need another project at the mo; i was just interested in case any crossed my path in the future.

Thank You anyway.

Regards, Philip