Rocboni

Ransomes Sand Skimming Tractor

2 hours ago, Rocboni said:

Frame reconstructive surgery! Putting back what the last owner cut out with a gas torch, why?

image.jpeg

I have seen this over and over and the only reason I can come up with is there was no one behind him holding a shovel ready to stop him.

Frame back on along with 3 speed and forward/reverse lever.

Need to fit up brake pedals with springs ect, fit fuel tank and see if engine runs (been over a year, but is a fully rebuilt engine) after a test drive it will be time for the front auger and rear conveyor frame, I don't think the latter will fit in the shed though....

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rocboni said:

after a test drive it will be time for the front auger and rear conveyor frame, I don't think the latter will fit in the shed though....

Neither will you unless you duck. :D

I thought it was a Bath registration but I've found that it was registered in Bristol, 1979 or 1980. There are two possibilities for previous owners: Bristol Water Works or Wessex Water....

8 hours ago, Chris said:

Can I get in line for a test drive also please!!

Join the que..

2 minutes ago, Will-Haggle said:

I thought it was a Bath registration but I've found that it was registered in Bristol, 1979 or 1980. There are two possibilities for previous owners: Bristol Water Works or Wessex Water....

How did you search for that? It was originally supplied to the South Essex Waterworks Co. On the 7/3/1966 (straight from Ransomes) Bristol or Wessex must have baught it afterwords and registered it with the DVLA.

After some fiddling with the engine, setting tappets and spark to TDC, it started up, too late for a test drive as it has no exhaust ATM. So a tad loud!

Brake pedals fitted up aswell as fuel tank.

Went and collected the other bits, I have underestimated the size of this, was a task loading it all by myself, with only the winch and boards to use, just have to get it off and onto the tractor somehow...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks like your getting ready for robot wars Rhys

Whats your mother going to say when you drive that out the shed when they return from holiday ;)

Believe me it's a beast, especially when you engage the auger! It drives and steers really well though. Very impressive bit of engineering.

I haven't even got the rear conveyor on yet it's 8ft.

The trouble is the front auger only has about 1 1/2" ground clearance, it would be impossible to drive onto a trailer, I am coming to the realisation that I will have to move it on to someone more equipped, the trouble is putting a price on it, it's the only complete one known to exist.

I am looking into raising the front auger without cutting anything, maybe using plates.

image.jpeg

Well it could come back to Sussex :)

They must have lifted these beasts when they were new??

Wheres Jon with his cheque book then???

Edited by Chris

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

Well it could come back to Sussex :)

They must have lifted these beasts when they were new??

Wheres Jon with his cheque book then???

If you have deep enough pockets.... 

They were simply lifted from the side of the sand bed into the bed using a crane, that's all, never made to go up ramps or anything else.

2 minutes ago, Rocboni said:

They were simply lifted from the side of the sand bed into the bed using a crane, that's all, never made to go up ramps or anything else.

And most likely had the front auger fitted on site.

12 hours ago, Rocboni said:

Believe me it's a beast, especially when you engage the auger! It drives and steers really well though. Very impressive bit of engineering.

I haven't even got the rear conveyor on yet it's 8ft.

The trouble is the front auger only has about 1 1/2" ground clearance, it would be impossible to drive onto a trailer, I am coming to the realisation that I will have to move it on to someone more equipped, the trouble is putting a price on it, it's the only complete one known to exist.

I am looking into raising the front auger without cutting anything, maybe using plates.

image.jpeg

Some times though the price is irrelevant, it's more important that something like this is preserved and shown to the public .You've done a fantastic job getting back up and running, is there no way you could move it about? Would it be within the lifting capability of a high ab on a trailer? ( I've no idea what these would weigh).

It could be moved if the front auger was lifted up, but the lower flanges will foul on the conveyor roller.

I think it would need a hiab on a truck rather than a trailer, or a very long ramp...

I see you found a seat. :D 

If the front end could be jacked up someway, it could be driven onto a trailer backwards. Just an idea and it's hard to say if it would work, without seeing it. I'll have to pop up one day.

11 minutes ago, Stormin said:

I see you found a seat. :D 

If the front end could be jacked up someway, it could be driven onto a trailer backwards. Just an idea and it's hard to say if it would work, without seeing it. I'll have to pop up one day.

Not very comfy though..

I was thinking of perminantly raising it and adding a spacer to the driveshaft, as it would never be used for actual sand skimming. 

Need one of those trailers that drops to the ground between the wheels and you lift it with hydraulics.

your welcome to pop up one day.

image.jpeg