ranger

Playing with cultivator, Broke the hitch.

Took my cultivator to the horse paddocks to break down some rutted ground from last winter, working fine until the link (m8 threaded bar) snapped.

took her to pieces and decided to try something different.

A 24v linear actuator, -recycled- coupled to the hitch and drawbar proved it could lift the cultivator at 12v. (also me)

I removed the rockshaft, homemade, and the unit fitted under the seat with room to spare.

A couple of lugs welded to the crosspiece, an extension to the 'ram'  and it worked! I may add some braces from the crosspiece to the axle, but the whole lot is already stiffened by the fender raising frame added to gain clearance for the tyres.

Tried it today with the discs, the ground was a bit hard, then I realised I need to change the temporary extension for one with a slot to allow the implements to 'float'.

I coudn't find a dpdt switch so I knocked up a unit using a 're-cycled' joystick and three 5pin relays as a polarity reverser, the joystick has a mag-mount so It can be fitted wherever it works best, there is a button on top of the stick which has to be pressed before the other controls will operate. I may fit another actuator to the front to pic up my front weight, this is made from a number of 'flitch' (I think they are called), plates, again re-cycled, each one weighs 1.8kg. the toolbox fits to the hood grill using a couple of 'anti luce' catches, on and off in seconds, plus adds a bit more front end weight. I may try changing the Linak motor for a hydraulic cylinder as the next stage in the experiment, cylinders are no problem, and I also have an ex- mini-bus wheelchair tail-lift electro-hydraulic unit that should fit under the hood.

P1030765.JPGP1030764.JPGP1030766.JPGP1030767.JPGP1030768.JPGP1030769.JPGP1030770.JPGP1030771.JPGP1030772.JPGP1030773.JPGP1030774.JPGP1030775.JPGP1030776.JPGP1030777.JPGP1030778.JPGP1030780.JPGP1030781.JPGP1030782.JPGP1030783.JPGP1030784.JPGP1030785.JPGP1030786.JPGP1030787.JPGP1030789.JPGP1030790.JPGP1030791.JPGP1030792.JPGP1030794.JPGP1030795.JPGP1030796.JPGP1030797.JPGP1030798.JPGP1030799.JPGP1030800.JPGP1030804.JPGP1030805.JPGP1030802.JPG

Two one horsepower units.

3 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Now that I like. Very much. No messy hydraulics. :thumbs: What is the actuator off?

Thanks Norm,  they're used for spread pattern adjustment on gritters, 5 wires, two for motor, 3three for feedback potentiometer for positioning, they are usually scrapped because the pot fails,I should have some 'spares', if you want to 'experiment', pm me your address and I'll send you one to play with. force is 2000n, but that is at 24v. I've just ordered a dc-dc converter from Hong Kong, this is a 12v to 24v step up, it may give a bit more power and speed, we'll see, only a tenner post free. I may even try two batteries on the front as weights, why add dead weight when it could be doing something useful? This one pulled around 3amps no load on the hitch, and around 7amps with me standing on the hitch. You can buy 12v ones, but quite expensive.

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 8:31 PM, ranger said:

Tried it today with the discs, the ground was a bit hard, then I realised I need to change the temporary extension for one with a slot to allow the implements to 'float'.

I'm thinking of a chain, Doug. That will allow float. Also give some adjustment by using different links.

Be carefull at the ram end Norm, it will twist, or try to as it extends or retracts. You'll find your bolt/pin will catch the tank. This why I fitted an extension with the bolt vertical, I should have slotted the hitch end to allow 'float' but I used a couple of shackles instead to see how it works. A chain may allow too much 'twist'.

I hope the diagrams are ok, and you can understand them, the more I looked at them, the more aspirins I had to take.:wacko:

Doug.

I should have thought about the twisting with it working on a screw. We had smaller versions on the oscillator frames where I worked.  I'll make an extension as you have and slot it.

The diagrams are all too much for my limited electrical knowledge. But I showed them to my tame ex BT electrickery mate and he understands them. :D