L8on

Westwood gazelle w11 restoration project

Hello all I am new to the group,i have bought my father in law a ride on mower as he is staring to struggle doing his big garden by hand.I am not made of money so had to get a fixer up and come across a westwood gazelle w11. It was in a sorry state but I have spent the last 4 weeks taking back to bare metal and powdercoating every part , replacing every nut and bolt. My question is I have spent all this time doing the restoration I didn't think to ask the question are these any good at cutting grass?

20170703_183937.jpg

20170703_184035.jpg

20170710_195034.jpg

Hello and welcome to the Forum............... Most impressed with your effort to produce a superb finish on that machine. Others here will know much more about Westwoods than me, so can't offer an opinion on quality of it's mowing performance. I'm sure your Father-in-Law will enjoy using it irrespectively.

They worked well and were simple to maintain. The build quality was a bit questionable in places with the parts book containing several " use as required" references when it came to shims and spacers but yours is probably built to a better standard than when it left the factory - especially the paint work!  Deck rot could be a problem.

Hello all thanks for the coments :) sorry about the delay in replying I didn't get any notifications. I have just finished the deck and fitted it today. It shakes when I engage it. I have adjusted the tension and it's seems a little better ....any suggestions would get appreciated:)

20170726_160958.jpg

20170727_184836.jpg

7 minutes ago, L8on said:

Hello all thanks for the coments :) sorry about the delay in replying I didn't get any notifications. I have just finished the deck and fitted it today. It shakes when I engage it. I have adjusted the tension and it's seems a little better ....any suggestions would get appreciated:)

Look's great. As for vibration, I presume you have checked the Blades for Balance after (if you have) Sharpening?. Often a balance issue with high speed rotating metal.

On 16/07/2017 at 10:56 AM, Anglo Traction said:

Hello and welcome to the Forum............... Most impressed with your effort to produce a superb finish on that machine. Others here will know much more about Westwoods than me, so can't offer an opinion on quality of it's mowing performance. I'm sure your Father-in-Law will enjoy using it irrespectively.

Cheers pal I have nearly finished it now I can see light at the end off the tunnel:)

18 minutes ago, Anglo Traction said:

Look's great. As for vibration, I presume you have checked the Blades for Balance after (if you have) Sharpening?. Often a balance issue with high speed rotating metal.

Hello thanks for the reply :) I haven't balanced the blades this is my first experience with any petrol lawn mower. How would I balance the blades:)

On 18/07/2017 at 9:37 PM, Triumph66 said:

Tidy job :thumbs:

Spares are relatively easy to get a hold of and they do a good enough job cutting grass but don't allow it to get too long though. 

Thanks for the reply :) that's great news . He never let's it get to long I was just hoping it would cut half decent 

On 19/07/2017 at 9:36 AM, Wristpin said:

They worked well and were simple to maintain. The build quality was a bit questionable in places with the parts book containing several " use as required" references when it came to shims and spacers but yours is probably built to a better standard than when it left the factory - especially the paint work!  Deck rot could be a problem.

Lol yes the build quality was a bit iffy...I  built my own powdercoating oven last month ...so this project was a great way to learn. I am suprised how easy it is :)The deck had a few holes but I welded them. The metal was quite pitted but still plenty of life left.

20170715_131133.jpg

20170715_180818.jpg

On 19/07/2017 at 10:31 PM, Bunty said:

Hi,  pleased to meet you, I'm new here to!  Did a great job, a perfect boys toy!!  And, it cuts grass ! :D

38 minutes ago, L8on said:

Hello thanks for the reply :) I haven't balanced the blades this is my first experience with any petrol lawn mower. How would I balance the blades:)

Just set this up as I have to check my new Blades for my Deck project. Imagine the Se-Saw principle or a pair of scales.

Hopefully the pics will explain the principle for you.

The idea is to set it up on a very flat surface with a straight Bar to fit snugly through the Blade Centre bore and to roll without friction resistance either way (left or right).

Out of Balance-

DSC01686.JPG.86c43d852a9ccdd80f5c31033f87734e.JPG

And well balanced-

DSC01687.JPG.e2cd7cdf294230a70e7a2e3f58d9c86b.JPG

Surprised even these new genuine OEM Blades are out of balance. Idea is to carefully remove metal from the heavier side until perfectly balanced.

Then just ensure they're fitted centrally on the Spindles and torque the retaining nuts or bolts to what ever the manufacturer specifies.

Any probs, just ask.

Well I have been in the garage all day trying to find the source of the vibration.  I balanced the blades as the were out but still the vibration is their. I noticed the belt is really worn and is flat on the top edge. Also the belt tapers in spots. I have ordered a 69" belt for a 36" deck hoping this may solve the issue :) do you thinknow a worn belt would cause this vibration?

Still churning this over in my head.

I presume the 2 Deck Spindles run freely and smooth.

If the engine runs smooth without vibration, then the Engine Pulley is ok. Not sure what the PTO Clutch set up is on these, but there could be something out of balance on the output side.

A Deck Spindle may be bent, or a pulley attached to one is out (not concentric or buckled).

There seems to be quite a distance between each Deck Pulley and back to the PTO, where the Belt could resonate and cause the vibration?.

Could there be some missing Idler/Tensioner Pulleys that take up the slack over the unsupported belt distances?. Afraid I'm only guessing.here. 

Thanks for the reply'so guys the engine runs sweet with no vibration. It's only when the deck is engaged. The belts flap about like crazy I have tensioned it right up which calms it down a bit. I will have a look at the spindles  on my days off. I did notice that 1 spindle was slightly harder to turn. Thinking about it this may be down to the bearing housing crushing slightly when I had it in the bearing press in work trying to get the old ones our......they were really stuck in there.

Edited by L8on

You can't have to much WD 40 when metal gets stuck! lol Not familiar with your grass cutter, perhaps the worn belt indicates something is worn which causes wear on the belt!  

To be honest it's probibly the original belt :) I will replace it and see how it running.  I am looking for some new bearing housings but I can't seem to find then anywhere online

40 minutes ago, L8on said:

To be honest it's probibly the original belt :) I will replace it and see how it running.  I am looking for some new bearing housings but I can't seem to find then anywhere online

Have you established the Part Number for the Housing/Ass'y. Depending on the age, it's possible they are the same as some Countax models.

As Norm says, an Ad placed in the 'Wanted' section and maybe a picture here with some dimensions will help.