slf-uk

Bolens G14

I have been doing a bit on the G14 between other jobs. Tom dropped in the other day too and he got to try some of my tractors. I expect he will be buying a Bolens now after trying one, I really should have taken a picture :)  

In the end on the G14 I milled the head out to take a 1-1/2" sleeve then knocked up a sleeve on the lathe which I then put a 1" BSP thread in. Welded the bracket onto the sleeve and pressed into the head. I have reassembled the engine and plan to give it a wash before putting all the tin work on.

post-276-0-42122600-1428437935_thumb.jpg

Iain

That does tend to happen a lot when a GT lover encounters a Bolens for the first time.  :D

It didn't happen to me the first time, I guess I didn't inhale  :D but it really took hold with the second, third, and fourth time.

That does tend to happen a lot when a GT lover encounters a Bolens for the first time.  :D

This is exactly how I got addicted to Bolens.

We do have a big problem in the UK with the small number of Bolens tractors available and this forum does have a large number of guys that like other brands, especially the red brand. As such, can I suggest we keep this as a secret otherwise they will all try a Bolens, get the same addiction and we will all be chasing a very small pool of tractors. I would also hate to see the other brands of GT's being left under hedges unloved and rusting away.

The pool of Bolens just got a little smaller as I have just agreed to buy another one :)  :) more details to follow after I pick it up, which hopefully is Friday.

Iain

We do have a big problem in the UK with the small number of Bolens tractors available        The pool of Bolens just got a little smaller

Iain.  I know of a pool of Bolen's which is NOT getting any smaller.  YET. :)

Alan.

Over the weekend I gave the G14 a diesel bath followed by hitting it with the pressure washer. It is so much nicer to work on now but the state of the grass where I gave it a wash was the subject of much discussion with the boss.

Progress on the G14 has been slowed by work commitments and I got distracted by buying and collecting another H16 :) . Picture from the advert

post-276-0-38962000-1429042923_thumb.jpg

Tonight I had a relaxing hour in the workshop on the G14 fitting the exhaust, engine panel work, throttle/choke cables and a few other jobs. Thanks to Norm's reminder I took the plug out of the exhaust pipe first ;)

post-276-0-60000900-1429042981_thumb.jpg

I still need to fit the fuel tank and pipes, straighten and fit the hood, fit new battery cables, repair some more damaged wiring and refit the PTO and body panels. I have also bought some new front lights for it.

Iain

I finished putting the G14 together today and took it off the tractor bench. It started on the first go and the debris coming out the exhaust was amazing. With the damage it had to the exhaust port I don't think the exhaust has been used in years. I had thick brown smoke for about 5 minutes until it had cleared all the rust and spiders out, after then no smoke or unexpected noises. 

As expected the clutch was stuck on but it didn't take a lot to free it off. The gearbox is sweet and it was good to take it for a drive.

The downside is the carb is still not right and it would only run on full choke, but it did run and pull well. I left it running and after about half an hour it started to run bad as the carb float valve had stuck open. I will need to pull the carb off again and go through it with even more attention to detail. Any tips on getting the carb float valve to work correctly are welcome as I tried everything I can think of including a light honing of the valve seat, which work for a while. 

For the moment it's time in the workshop is over as I have put the HT23 on the workbench for some overdue maintenance which will include removing the engine to get to the starter motor.

Iain

Maybe dirt is finding it's way through from the fuel tank. Just a speck will cause the float valve to leak.

That is a good point. As it has a plastic tank I just gave it a quick wash with some petrol. I will do it properly with some tank cleaner.

Thanks

Iain

Does anyone have a cutting deck ive just bought my first g14 also looking for front loader and other attachments please help want to see this baby wirking sgain manythanks ryan

The size of the silencers on the Bolens gets me. It's bigger than the engine. :P

I think Bolens called those the :Hush Tone Mufflers.

They are a bit on the largish side, but they sure tame the "bark".  MUCH quieter than the little round can type mufflers.

Does anyone have a cutting deck ive just bought my first g14 also looking for front loader and other attachments please help want to see this baby wirking sgain manythanks ryan

I think Bolens called those the :Hush Tone Mufflers.

They are a bit on the largish side, but they sure tame the "bark".  MUCH quieter than the little round can type mufflers.

Those Tecumseh engines really do bark out compared to a Wisconsin or Kohler. The original muffler on one of my G10's is toast and I have temporarily fitted one of those round can muffler. It is far too noisy.

Hi Ryan, Welcome to MOM, like others I would really like to know more about your Bolens. Some very knowledgeable Bolens folk on this forum who I am sure would be willing to help you with any problems

Iain