meadowfield

Look what followed us home

Very nice Mark, even has the rear wheel weights! Look forward to seeing more of it,..

Tom

Also hard to find fenders, and what looks to be a rear lift as well

Mark, I have never seen a cub with that factory ( I think) rear lift with spring assist and sleeve/implement hitch adapter, even has the original rear light. You really scored!!

Mark, I have never seen a cub with that factory ( I think) rear lift with spring assist and sleeve/implement hitch adapter, even has the original rear light. You really scored!!

We found out when we collected and spoke to the owner. He was being pursued to sell the hitch outside the auction!

Great little CC well done, good score! look forward to seeing more on this :D 

P:S  If you get 5 minutes extra time, could I possibly be cheeky and ask for some close up photos of that rear hitch/lift assembly? I've got the lift arm just not the rest and I'm curious as to how making one would work out.  

The wheel weights are early Bolens weights probably from a ride-a-matic

They are identical to the set of ride-a-matic wheel weights I am but they are also identical the set of weights that come with my Cub, which still have the original yellow paint.

Is it possible that they are a generic weight that was fitted to a number of tractors at the time.

Iain

I'm guessing that they were somewhat generic.

I have Bolens weights with BOLENS cast into them and another set that are identical but have OLDA cast in them.

post-342-0-27505600-1430679658_thumb.jpg

I had to look a few times just to check I wasn't seeing things... Yep, it's not red :D

A very nice find Mark, I'd give it a good wash then the oily rag treatment rather than a repaint. She looks great as she is. :thumbs:

I'm guessing that they were somewhat generic.

I have Bolens weights with BOLENS cast into them and another set that are identical but have OLDA cast in them.

And some like those had nothing stamped on them, but Jerome says those are RAM wheel weights and the Cubs were similar, but slightly different, I have to say whether he is right or wrong, he knows alot about these early tractors

And some like those had nothing stamped on them, but Jerome says those are RAM wheel weights and the Cubs were similar, but slightly different, I have to say whether he is right or wrong, he knows alot about these early tractors

I have a set of wheel weights not too dissimilar to the above but embossed with FMC. Apparently they fit the Gutbrod tractors too so possibly is generic like Iain suggested?

post-259-0-53505100-1431552818_thumb.jpg

Most 12 inch wheel weights fit all other wheels, an exception is the early walk behind 12 inch that may be a little larger. I have seen at least 4 styles of the Bolens weights, but only know of Bolens offering them on their tractors, never saw any other brands offering weights made like Bolens, without the name, but I'm sure a smaller company could use the same foundry and save money. I do think the Cub original rear weights were the same as later cubs as they were modeled after the front Cub tractor weights. Many foundries will reproduce wheel weights from a picture or example, 400.00 for the first pair, subsequent sets go down in price

It is altogether probable that the Rowe Foundry built the wheel weights for many old garden tractors after reading the statement below from the Rowe Foundry company history. I have seen Bolens weights that were marked Rowe, MTD, OLDA, Bolens, FMC, and unstyled as well. Supposedly FMC marked wheel weights are for tractors built after 1973 and BOLENS marked wheel weights were produced before 1973. That's why I have different weights on different tractors. tHE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS. aLAIN

"During the 1950's river clamp producers began looking elsewhere for product materials and found that concrete was the answer for the new river clamps. This, coupled with the steel manufacturers strikes, caused management to look elsewhere for business. Counterweights for agricultural and industrial tractors were the answer. At one point Rowe Foundry held more than 75% of the aftermarket agricultural tractor weight market" (Rowefoundry.com). 

http://www.rowefoundry.com/history.html

post-384-0-90862300-1431566258.jpg

Interesting.

The weights I have on the HDT1000 are marked E ROWE.

They were originally for combines, but they do fit the 12" wheel just fine although they do increase the width some.  They are roughly 105 lbs. each.

Here's a couple of pics. One is siting next to a Bolens rear weight just for size reference.

I found that having the forklift to aid in installing them made the job a lot easier than it would have been without it.

post-342-0-26918800-1431590083_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-14234800-1431590143_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-82492300-1431590467_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-28572600-1431590488_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-01031300-1431590505_thumb.jpg