Stormin

Plough.

At the Newby Hall show, The Showman brought up a plough for me he'd collected from Alans friend John.

post-111-0-73624400-1437494200_thumb.jpg

post-111-0-47886600-1437494303_thumb.jpg

Last night on reading young Toms post on preparing for Rural Past Times, I was hit by inspiration. Doesn't happen often. Off into the workshop I hastened, and the plough, all in bits, was roughly put together.

Today a trip up to the farm for some scrap metal. Back home I set too. The result is below.

post-111-0-59584600-1437494410_thumb.jpg

post-111-0-44856100-1437494477_thumb.jpg

I could do with some heavier gauge cable for the lift, I haven't got any. Or chain and run it through a custom tube? I have the bits for that.  Or make a solid bar mechanism? I have some bits for that.

I may also shorten the arm by an inch or two, where it goes down to the shoe. Give a bit more ground clearance when raised.

Decisions! Decisions!

Hi Stormin

Consider making your bracket to fit pin hole on plough bracket this will give you lateral movement in case you hit a stone it allows plough to move left or right please see hitch on my gutbrod

post-117-0-84849000-1437497383_thumb.jpg hope this helps my check chains will have free play for the same reason

George S 

Your plough is the same as mine. I did think of using the pin hole and I understand what you mean. I'll have to have a re-think. How much sideways movement do you have?

What did you have to do that for, now I'll have to do something to mine or use yours

You've got 17 days. :D

I am looking forward to see your ploughs in action at RPT. I will be there as a visitor not as an exhibitor though as I have too much on. Hopefully will have something sorted out for next year......

I am looking forward to see your ploughs in action at RPT. I will be there as a visitor not as an exhibitor though as I have too much on. Hopefully will have something sorted out for next year......

Wear something old Andrew, I'm sure we can get you involved somehow

Bit of modifying this morning.

The square bit the pin goes through was cut off the box section. Box section drilled to take a pin. Long bolt procured from the farm and made into a pin while there. Also came back with some heavy duty electric fence wire that was going spare. :D

Fence wire is now lift cable and it lifts the plough nicely. Well it does after I reset it. I fitted it at first with the lift lever in the up position. :rolleyes:

There now is a bit of swing in the plough as George suggested. Is there enough or maybe to much? I haven't a clue.

Anyway, the plough now fits the tractor. Still bits to do yet.

post-111-0-19590200-1437567571_thumb.jpg

post-111-0-81647500-1437567599_thumb.jpg

post-111-0-07352900-1437567674_thumb.jpg

Hi Stormin

The two threaded bolts should be put in adjust them to give you some free play believe it or not half inch of play can make a difference try it. best of luck with your ploughing

George S 

Thanks George. You've just answered something I've been wondering. I wasn't sure if that shaft should swivel or not. It's seized solid. The bolts had been screwed right in, so it couldn't move anyway. Going to take some freeing, methinks. :(

Hi Stormin

Can I suggest that you put wheels front and back on a 2 inch board check if plough touches the ground if it does try 4 inch deep board if it does the try six inch  this will give you an idea of the depth you can attain if you cannot get these depths you may have to move the hitch point

Give me a pm if you need any help

George S

Hi Stormin

When  you have the plough on the ground  in a straight line with the tractor measure the distance from the inside of the back wheel to the ploughshare this will give you the width of the furrow if eight inches wide you can get 5 inches deep

if 10 inches wide you can get 6 inches deep if you are too deep for the width the plough will push the furrow over not turn it over hope this helps

George S

I'm posting here George, rather than a PM, as your advice and comments may help others. Not just me.

I've re-made the hitch, as ground clearance when traveling was very little.

post-111-0-01961500-1437759836_thumb.jpg

The next photo is it on 7-1/2" boards with plough fully down.

post-111-0-46220300-1437759966_thumb.jpg

Plough is not touching the ground. Front tip is 1-1/4" off the ground and rear is 1".  I cannot get the plough level as no more adjustment.

This last photo is of plough in position as if to start ploughing.

post-111-0-77650000-1437759923_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing here, that from my measurements, the plough will drag itself down to 6".

Distance from share to inside of rear wheel is 6-1/2 inch. From your figures, guessing again, depth would be approx. 4".

Again, your comments, suggestions and advice greatly appreciated.

I know one thing, it's flamin' 'eavy. :o  I'll have to get the dumb bells out or work out some spring assistance to lift it. May have to reverse to get it out of the ground.