Anglo Traction

Yellow Mower Challenge!

Looks good Richard. :thumbs: What condition were the spindle ends in. ?  The one visible looks as if it has been machined.

Hello Alan, thanks. The Bearing and Pinion surfaces at each end cleaned up ok with no pitting, even though the L/H Drive Chain, Sprocket were solid with rust and the R/H Bearing rusted up.

Checked them over with a Micrometer , then polished them up with Crocus Grade Emery. Bearings are still a press fit. I had made covers for these areas out of Copper and Brass tube to protect them at the Blasters.

The Drive Pinions are less worn than my originals (they were subjected to sandy soil lawns in their previous useful life, but all still good/useable).

So it means I can use all the Drive parts from John's Donor Mower including the Wheels as the parts all have 'Bed In and Mate Up' well together.

Lucky the donor mower turned up. Soon be cutting grass. :D

Yes Norm, not sure where I would've been without this other machine. Still cost a lot to sort it though. 

That's good news Richard, it sounds like your well on the way to getting the yellow peril finished :thumbs:

I think the end is in sight Ian, a bit of back tracking to do, what with changing the Piston and a few other bits

This Cylinder is not without a few defects, but as long as I'm careful to avoid hitting hard stuff with the Blades, it should be ok.

Checked it for balance with a crude set up-

post-94-0-94025200-1436194542_thumb.jpg

Would need 52 grammes of weight on the periphery to even it out, but I won't bother and just fit it, the new Bearings should cope with that ok.

The Pinion on this end is a bit pitted, but not on the contact faces of the teeth, so should be fine with a splodge of Grease-

post-94-0-47079600-1436194564_thumb.jpg

The Bearing has been transferred to the Housing from John/Alan's Donor Machine, as it was less corroded, but not so tight-a-fit.

Also tapped the Oil Hole in the top 1/4"BSF ready for fitting a pipe from a 'Screw Down' Grease Cup which will be fitted.

The other end only had to have a hardened 'Dirt Excluding Washer' (Atco's description, not mine) made, as I can't for the life of me find the one from the other Cylinder!

.... must be those pesky Workshop Gremlins.

You may just see, if you click on and enlarge the image, that there are a few black lines traversing the Ground Blade face.

This section has been damaged/distorted and has a few cracks in the blade. Like I say, I'll just have to be careful with it-

post-94-0-97960300-1436194555_thumb.jpg

.......This end won't be fully assembled until it's fitted to the Mower.

Today, I changed the New Bronze Bearings over from the old Wheels to the J&A's Donor Wheels, having finished painting them.

I fitted a Hub Cap just to see if they would look ok-

post-94-0-80149600-1436194572_thumb.jpg

Still waiting for assorted Engine Parts and Materials delivery, Sorted and now waiting for the Canvas for the Grass Catcher.

Also got some 'Sail and Canvas' Needles etc. Yes I'm going to have to sew it all up myself.

Not really linked to this project, but I've also been playing with the various parts of the Spare Villiers 98cc Mk2, ready for a re-bored Cylinder, Rings, HT Coil and Ign Lead. All main parts clean and prepped ready-

post-94-0-77709800-1436196056_thumb.jpg

Nothing major as far as progress really, but have continued working on the Grass Catcher for now.

Completely dismantled it to it's component parts which are not that substantial in strength.

The canvas edges were reinforced with wire and secured under a folded edge around the base panel. The edges carefully prised opened up to free the canvas so I could start to unpick the seams with a 'Stitch Ripper' tool.

Canvas has arrived and is a perfect match in weight and colour, and have enough material to make 2  in case I screw up-

post-94-0-40822400-1436539944_thumb.jpg

As was shown in previous pics, the front Rod Tangs on each end were in a bad way, so I searched around for some new rod to replace it. Found some at my local 'Drill-Service' stockist, 2metres of original PS Stubbs 1/4" diameter Silver Steel. Got a discount too, as it had a slight bend.

The galvanised base panel had a few dents which I tapped out ok after a good clean with a scourer and came up real good with very little rusting- 

post-94-0-27892200-1436539974_thumb.jpg

I've cut the new canvas by using the original as a pattern ready for sewing up, but have now had to order a Sewing Awl to make it easier for my hands/joints.

If all goes well, I should have this part finished in just over a week. Hoping the engine parts will be here by then.

Done the hardest part of stitching the seams, namely the bottom edges that will be captive under the folded base edge.

My spacing and straightness of the seam drastically improved after the first 30cms and past the first crimped corner seam-

post-94-0-33526500-1437163525_thumb.jpg

Thankfully most of this bit is out of sight.

It's a bit fiddly with trying to keep the tension on the yarn, but quite satisfying despite the loooong time it takes me. 

The 1/4" diameter Rod frame was in a mess (bare metal originally) and it had welded to the old canvas with the rust.

Had a lot of cleaning and straightening to do, but it now has a coat of Kurust, Oxide Primer and Black Enamel.

A trial fit of the Canvas with the Base is looking good-

post-94-0-14287300-1437163537_thumb.jpg

I think I've worked out the finishing sequence. Look's like I'll have to stitch the top edge over the Rod Frame after finally fitting/locking the canvas to the base, which will be interesting. Got to do it nice as this top part will show. That's my weekend booked up. 

Finished Stitching up the canvas to frame over the weekend after pinching the base edges (makes a change from me being stitched up!)

The before pics in post 98 near the bottom of page 5. As now-   

post-94-0-67265800-1437501163_thumb.jpgpost-94-0-39243900-1437501201_thumb.jpg

Going to string the next job out (no pun intended). Probably take the support cord from both frame corners of the 'Catcher' to a single point on the Handlebar joint, the cord needs to be adjustable.

At the mercy of 'Villiers parts' for a delivery so I can change the Piston over and fit the Cylinder/Reel.

That's looking good, Richard. :thumbs:

Thanks Norm, better than I expected, think I got away with it.

Fantastic work Richard, is there anything you can't do? :D

Hi Ian Ta!, I think they would call 'us Ilk's' that turn our hands to most things as a-  J.O.A.T.M.O.N  :huh:    ?    :) .

......................oh!, I can't grind a Cylinder down to the correct size.....then again nor can some professionals.     

i wish i had your talent  richard cracking job :thumbs:

Er !, You (and many on here) already have lots of it Nigel and thanks, just look at the things you turn out of your workshop....Landy being the latest !.

I can't do biggish projects like many of you Guys, so have to put up with the small finicky ones :( .

Been patiently waiting for Engine bits and the good news is my wait is nearly over, they're now on the way :hdance: .

In the meantime and instead of finishing the Grass Catcher Supports/Cords, I thought as the weather is warm n sunny, I'd start on the construction of an item that will greatly ease the manipulation of this wide, restrictive machine.

Starting with an old 1920s Oak Sideboard top I had in store-

post-94-0-54203200-1438524650_thumb.jpg

Measured up, Chopped it up, bolted, glued and screwed some strengthening planks each end, then fitted some cheap 3" Casters (2 fixed and 2 swivel).

We now have the makings of a 'Transporter Trolley' that is not quite 18" (45cms) deep and 36" (96cms) wide, so it can access areas through very narrow gaps now -

post-94-0-62275900-1438524659_thumb.jpg

Just finished bonding a layer of thick rubber garage floor covering on it and only need to add a few bits to secure the mower in place while it's on and a drag handle, probably detachable.

Getting the mower on is no problem, but may have to bolt a hinged Ramp on one side to get it off easier.

Means I can drag it around to the back onto the lawn to finish the work in daylight and then........... test it out !. 

Surprised to get a delivery of Goodies so soon today !

post-94-0-93805300-1438600820_thumb.jpg

Mainly parts for the Spare 1954 engine rebuild and consists mainly of a nicely re-bored cylinder +0.030".

Most importantly, the New Alloy Piston for the Mower, including Gudgeon Pin (wrist pin) and Rings!.....bonus.

Checked the weight and only 4 grammes difference with the old original. Hoping to get the motor sorted and tested this week and then fit the Cylinder (reel) etc.   

A non pictorial update on the corrective repairs. The Shiny new Piston has been installed.

Had to ease the fit of the Gudgeon Pin as it was tight in the new Small End Bearing.

I had swapped the new rings that were in the engine over to the new piston. Turned over real smooth by hand and nice compression. 

Started 2nd pull, a small amount of fine carb adjustment made it run perfectly. Vibration issue sorted. 

Spent most of this pm installing the back up Cylinder (Reel) and Drive parts. Now back on it's replaced wheels (and rollers). 

Plenty of clearance now between the Blades, Underside of Deck Panel and B/Blade adjusters.

Just the fine adjustment to the cutting/scissor action do, and they already look pretty parallel to each other.

On the downside,  The paint is lifting around the neck of the Petrol Tank !.

Must either be a pinhole in the Soldered joint, or the paint/Fuel proof lacquer did not bond to the brass well enough. Repaint job :( .

Had over yet again!, found that the 0.030" oversized piston came back with Standard size Rings fitted !!.

Good job I took them off and checked them in the new re bored Cylinder for the spare engine.

Ring gap should only be a few thou, not 0.125" !.

You have to be so careful nowadays, sadly, it seems you can't rely on anyone.

Now we have had some rain, I'll do a test cut when the grass begins to grow again.

It sounds like your making real progress Richard, I look forward to the first test cut video..

By the way, the yellow peril would look great in the line up at Biddenden Tractorfest..  :poke::D

It sounds like your making real progress Richard, I look forward to the first test cut video..

By the way, the yellow peril would look great in the line up at Biddenden Tractorfest..  :poke::D

Home stretch Ian :fingerscrossed: .

Perhaps it would look out-of-place between Ride-ons , won't fit in the Car and doubt if a Tow Bar will fit on my latest :dunno: . 

May try and find a way to drag it down to Kingsfold ?.

Now we have had some rain, I'll do a test cut when the grass begins to grow again.

We had 34mm in two hours this morning and I'll swear that the grass is perking up already!

Grass still not growing yet!, maybe the maintenance people crept around and did it when I wasn't looking.

When able, I carried on with the spare engine. Proper sized rings arrived-

post-94-0-34419300-1440276473_thumb.jpg

........now fitted and good as new.

Replacement (used) HT Coil received (took a flyer on the Auction site) and a new plug. So all the parts ready to assemble-

post-94-0-96246600-1440276482_thumb.jpg

All back together and the ignition and timing all done and spot-on-

post-94-0-97272100-1440276495_thumb.jpg

Er!, you may have noticed I have 2 Bronze Flywheels in the earlier pic,one with a silver Cover Plate and a Matt Black painted one.

Plan is to run this engine in with 2 Flywheels on. they are not the same though.

One has a standard Nut for a Kick Start Dog Ratchet, and the other is from John/Alan's Donor Mower which has the Pull Start Ring  (dated 1957 by the way),

The Black cover plate will allow me to check and set the Revs easily with the Laser Tacho-

post-94-0-25574500-1440277588_thumb.jpg

I'll probably go the 'Heath Robinson' route with a Frame to mount it in with a 'Victorian' look about it with lots of Brass, Copper and Nickel Silver.

There will most likely be an unusual Fuel Tank and may have it driving something (stationary), so I will probably shift the progress on it to another Forum section?.