Ian

Work on my Wheel Horse Raider 20 6X6

No photo's for this small update, it was a frustrating day yesterday!!

After all the chopping about of the outrigger again, the chain that had been a pain was sorted and fitted well..   Shame the last chain to go on is giving the same problems!!   Yes, that's right... It's too long or too short!!  :banghead:

I'm going to try swapping the chains about today as I think one is slightly shorter than the other and see if that helps..

I'm also wondering how much the chains have stretched during their short but very hard life on the 6x6, so some new chain has been ordered it should be here Wednesday..

Oh.. I also had to drop the 6x6 down on her wheels yesterday so I could roll her back a bit and get some working space at the front..

The weight balance is interesting.. I'd say that 52% of it is in front of the middle axles, with the 3 point put back on it might even have 50-50 balance!!     Until I sit my fat 'orse on the seat of course, then the front goes up :D

Well, yet another day in the shack trying to get the 6x6 driving again, and what do I have to show for it!!!

Only a few photo's that were grabbed from some video footage :D:hyper::hdance::woohoo:

TSS15347_zpsc4e0ca5f.jpg

TSS15348_zps0a1c8580.jpg

TSS15349_zps54ac4540.jpg

TSS15350_zps5c2d6d1a.jpg

Going in!!!

TSS15351_zpse9d6f2fc.jpg

In!  :D

TSS15352_zps255011f0.jpg

Coming back out after remembering 1 second too late that there was a tree on it's side in the nettles!

TSS15353_zps5bf143ba.jpg

The Raider looks like it's angry with me!

TSS15344_zpsecef12dc.jpg

At least it wasn't only me that crashed the poor Raider :D

TSS15346_zps3b9bc013.jpg

And to finish off..... Going up :D

TSS15345_zpsb7d6f632.jpg

Er... Too late Ben, it broke twice today!!

Backing it out the shack to load it onto the trailer and a sprocket sheered off an axle again!!

So, I welded it up again, drove it up to the yard at the top and drove it onto the trailer with no problems..

20 min's driving later and Nigel and I arrived at the show site...

I unloaded the 6x6 and guess what.. Yes my welds sheered again :banghead: :banghead:

So back on the trailer the 6x6 went and off to Nigel's workshop we trundled where Nigel's son Carl who knows how to weld and has the bit's of paper to prove it welded to sprocket back on again.. And a rather good job Carl made of it too :thumbs:

Back at the show site once again and the 6x6 was unloaded and given a test thrashing by Nigel......    Nothing broke :woohoo:

Thanks Mark, chatting with Nigel about the problem we thin it's all down to my arc welded not being able to produce enough heat to really get a hold on the axle!   At some point very soon I'm going to take my Mig welder to Nigel's and try it out with gas and proper welding wire.. If it does what we hope it will then the time to ditch the arc welder will come :)

Are you welding on full tilt with a decent rod? Decent rods make all the difference, the cheap mild steel 6010 type ones I use are not very good.

Also I think you will never get a brilliant weld onto the cast bushes. The weld cracks as it cools, I've had the same issue a few times.

The cheapo welding rods never seem to work very well unless you have a decent set with highish OCV or a DC unit (if you can avoid 'arc blow')  I've just ordered a 10lb box or 6011 rods from the USA at a price a 10th of the cost from the UK or Germany, - the same brand name too. On the Fenner power transmissions website you can download the shaft fittings pdf  which lists taperloc,Trantorque gtr & Fenlock cone clamping elements, well worth a look as some are keyless and can be used where existing keyways are damaged.

Yep, I'm welding on full tilt.. 6013 cheap welding rods. The bushes are steel one's Mark. I turned them up on the lathe as I didn't like the chances of welds holding on to the cast bushes!  I should of just tried it, It may of worked better :D

I will also add that my welding isn't at it's est when I'm having to lay on the ground to do it.. If I could put the axle and sprocket on the bench to weld it up all would be fine..

I was thinking that taking some spare chain was a little OTT.. Not so sure now :)

I think I'm going to have to book Karl in for some welding lessons :D

Well, I didn't need a spare chain for the show but as some of you will know I did manage to break a weld again... Not the same one as normal but a 3 inch long circular weld that held the sprocket onto the steel bush!!  Boy is this machine pushing out some power!!

So once again Karl the master welder did his "melting metal in a strong and controlled way" trick yesterday and 6 wheel drive was restored :thumbs:

Only one thing left to do.. Test the 6x6 out by pulling it's heaviest load to date.. Yep the big trailer :D

I will get video footage when the trailer goes back out at the end of the week, the Kohler twin sounded sooo good under load roaring away :D

20140826_124150_zps88ec09ac.jpg

20140826_124204_zps1b8a79a9.jpg

Love that pic Iain

one of my trailers is the same as yours but I have an electric winch for recovering dead stuff B)

Ignor that Discovery. Thats long gone thank god & now have the green defender

Edited by Chris