Ian

Project "Why Not"

the bead rolling machine or swager has come in handy over the years that i have had it,it can do many things just by changing the rollers its a great tool to have in the workshop and was well worth the investment :)

Fab bit of fabrication Ian, love the bead rolling machine :thumbs:

Thanks Chris, yep the bead roller is a great bit of kit.

Omg, that looks fabulous!

Top notch fabrication ian

Thanks Mark, it will look even better in the photo's below :D

Very clever way to overcome the problem, looks great.

I have always fancied one of those bead rolling machines.

Thanks Iain, all I've done really is copy the shape of the back of the original Raider fender pan...  Just a bit bigger :D

the bead rolling machine or swager has come in handy over the years that i have had it,it can do many things just by changing the rollers its a great tool to have in the workshop and was well worth the investment :)

Agreed :D

Those wheel arches look just right Ian, is there room to attach a tool box on the back?

Ta muchly Neil.. Interesting thought about a tool box on the back... It would have to be a very light box though as it would be behind the rear axle line as a heavy one would aid not being able to keep the front wheels on the deck :D

Great fabrication work Ian it's looking stunning mate

Thanks James :thumbs:

My eye's are a bit sore today, which is always a sign I've been doing lot's of welding!!  And yes I did use a mask :)

Starting with something small patch at the front..

WN398_zpsqw9oehke.jpg

Chopped..

WN399_zpsuystqfqs.jpg

And patched back up.. Only a bit longer..

WN400_zpssri55wcc.jpg

Rear panels mostly tacked in place...  I was standing on the GT 14+2's seat to get this high up photo :D

WN401_zps1audxcj2.jpg

Mostly welded up and hit with red oxide to get it all one colour.. When I first put the pan back on I wasn't sure I liked the shape or not..  Maybe the "dropped" bit's should of gone down at an angle? Maybe the top of the drops should have more curve?

Anyway, with a seat plonked on and a couple of exhausts sticking it looks a little better.. What do you guy's think?

WN402_zps7seagypn.jpg

WN403_zpskwffiilk.jpg

WN404_zpsv4ejib9y.jpg

Looking the dogs danglies Ian :D

Thanks mate :thumbs:

Good work Ian. Don't forget the wheelie bars. :thumbs:

Thanks Norm, yes wheelie bars could be handy :D

ive seen it in the flesh so i know how good it is :thumbs:

Thanks mate, I couldn't of done it without your help and bead/swage roller Thumbs:

Ian,

Looking forward to seeing this and Nigel's project early next week.

As ever, looking damn good.

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, it will be good to catch up with you again..

Yeh agreed, it looks the nuts.

Who looks nuts?? :D

That's great Ian, a lot of progress all at once, I bet your well pleased with it I know I would be !!!

Thanks Chris, I'm mostly pleased with it.. I may or may not change a few of the lines on the fender pan at a later date.. We shall see..

For you viewing pleasure..... The latest video freshly uploaded this morning..

I called in this afternoon to see Ian and Nigel to settle up on the Huffy Broad Lawn ride in purchase (it looks better in the flesh/metal) and I saw birth thier handiwork. Both look damn impressive and for those that don't do projects, there's a lot of work and skils that goes on behind the scenes. I look forward to seeing both their machines on the circuit later this year.

Thanks Andrew, it was great to catch up with you again :thumbs:   And you managed to drink one of my tea's.. A brave man indeed :D

I was up all night visiting the toilet.......

No, good to see you too and I look forward to having another cuppa too. Cheers

Evening all, I was going to do this update later until Tescos had delivered and dinner had been eaten.. But as dinner is currently in the back of a Tescos van which is stuck on a grass verge somewhere (awaiting a tow), I thought I'd make a start now...

I hope you all like lot's of photo's as there's quite a few :D

I've turned my attention back to the front end, it would be nice to get it rolling so it can be taken off the bench and wheeled outside for a good look...

Anyway, I did a little tweak to the disc hub thingy to create a bit more caliper space inside the wheel.. I'm happy there's plenty of clearance now..

WN405_zpsn7ex5nlf.jpg

My front end design came from http://www.ronsbits.co.uk a place that sells mower racing parts to... Well, mower racers :)

WN406_zpsc7zicfgk.jpg

My starting point is this lot.. A block of steel that need cutting in half, a length of steel bar that needs cutting in four, and four rather large rose joints, here's two of them..

WN407_zpspssa5xim.jpg

Steel block sliced in two, one half has been faced off in the lathe to make sure it's square.. Or even rectangular :)

WN409_zpsfjsmvsws.jpg

The trailer spindles I'm using need a little trim in the lathe, here's Nigel trimming one of the spindles..

WN408_zpsefcp7wzg.jpg

Ta Daa..

WN410_zpse5jfh9gb.jpg

Now for the fun bit.. The block needs a hole bored through it at a 6 degree angle to give me some good steering geometry..   If I had of had a big enough drill bit I could of just set the bed on my pillar drill to the right angle and drilled the hole..

WN411_zps50tqclpz.jpg

But as I don't have a big enough drill bit I had to work out how to do it on the lathe..

After a lot of thought I came up with a simple solution using a bit of cardboard and something that looks like a tuning fork but minus the handle!

WN412_zpsds7ng9sw.jpg

Plonk the block (making sure it's the right way round) in the rectangle conveniently marked out on the cardboard..

WN413_zpspgagpgoc.jpg

Line the ruler up with the other line which just happens to be at the correct 6' degree's to the block..

WN414_zps29if3kpw.jpg

And add the half of tuning fork until it lines up with the ruler. The end of the fork tips (I need to think of a better name for it :D ) also has the correct angle to make it line up right...

WN415_zpsp708snjt.jpg

Clamp everything down firmly (there was a 8mm thick plate under the cardboard for firm clamping), and weld the fork to the block..

WN416_zpsp5pa8bzn.jpg

Great work. I love the way you are working around the problems.

I am surprised you are getting anything done with all that coffee and tea making :)  You may need to get the GT14 out to help Tesco deliver your tea.

So how did the block at an angle look spinning around on the lathe???   Blurred!  :lol:

WN418_zpsv0lep7tu.jpg

So I thought I'd better turn the camera flash on which has the power to stop time for a split second :D

The boring drill bit wasn't quite big enough so I had to use a boring bar to take the hole out to the right size..

WN417_zpsqyqprduo.jpg

"NEWS FLASH.... Tescos has just delivered, but as we were starving we had a pizza while we were waiting!"

Anyway, have a photo of a spindle stuck in a steel block at just the right angle :D

WN419_zpshoyexigk.jpg

A quick bit of reassembly to check block to disc clearance.. There be plenty :thumbs:   I will be tapering both ends of the block to make it look nice, but also to give a bit more space allowing me to get the block a bit closer to the wheel..

WN420_zpsjc3sarao.jpg

Mounting the calipers should be easy, just make a bracket to bolt on the caliper and weld the other side to the block :D

WN421_zps0v1pzxpx.jpg

A bit of mass production, all machined to length.

WN422_zpsjizrrqol.jpg

Turned down to the right diameter and one notched..

WN423_zpseyspz6tk.jpg

The notch is for fitting a rose joint..

WN424_zpsazsuclar.jpg

This will sit about here... I need to bore a 3/4 inch deep hole in the block to sink the steel bar into..

WN425_zpss9ag196s.jpg

Which will get the rose joint sitting about here...

WN426_zpsfrzvgfuq.jpg

And that folks is this thread up to date once again...

Making my own front end (steering and brakes) is certainly a lot of work and lot's of thinking is involved, but I'm really enjoying the challenge.. Your never too old to learn :D