Ian

Project "Why Not"

Ian, another great video and it is good to see this project progressing. It brightened up my Monday.

Thanks

Iain

Thanks Iain, happy to of brightened up your Monday..

Well, the steering saga continues.. But not for much longer :D

Although the steering kinda worked, it had two main problems.

One of them was the Ackerman angle thingy, being not quite right.. A play with moving the track rods a bit higher got it better..

WN489_zpslwrzgqaa.jpg

WN490_zpsgipsoapi.jpg

But the main problem was all down to the gearing in the 90 degree steering box thingy.. Lock to lock was only an 8th of a turn of the steering wheel, which of course made the steering very heavy!

The only other 90 degree box thingy I have is this odd shaped, very heavy and totally unsuitable for the job final drive from the Honda SilverWing which donated it's engine to a higher cause :D

WN493_zpscfjaq3xy.jpg

So a bit of a rethink was needed..

This steering arm was made from 3 bit's of 6mm thick steel..

WN496_zps1ujlyu7g.jpg

It fit's here, under the left hand steering pivot hub thingy.. It's on tacked on in this photo..

WN498_zpspyfcpzaa.jpg

The steering box thingy was rotated 90 degrees to the right, tilted 90 degrees to the left, reunited with it's original base, and bolted to the flat grey plate that was moved from under the chassis rails to above... I hope you followed that :D

WN501_zpsl9khx8bg.jpg

If you did manage to follow the above then you will of guessed by now that Why Not is going lever steer :D

WN499_zpsbjoliqth.jpg

A rather long rod connecting both sides together..

WN500_zps05vaktxf.jpg

Lock to lock is now a tad under half a turn of the steering wheel which is much better and the steering turns much easier.. Which is nice :)

I think I may well move the connecting rod bit's to behind the hubs which will stop them getting bent should a tree ever be foolish enough to get in the way :D

WN502_zpsadn67imm.jpg

Oh.. And the steering column needs to be shortened :D

WN503_zpsgstbgsgx.jpg

Always been amazed by your engineering and metal working skill Ian, very well done, makes some lovely noise too, be good when its all done, you going to let it slip about the cosmetics, is it going to be left as? or painted up? do tell :P 

You are having fun. :D  You know that they say. "Where there's a will, there's relatives a way."

Thanks Norm your right, where there's a will there's a way :D

Always been amazed by your engineering and metal working skill Ian, very well done, makes some lovely noise too, be good when its all done, you going to let it slip about the cosmetics, is it going to be left as? or painted up? do tell :P

Thanks Charlie :thumbs:       It's tempting to leave WN in its current "rat look", but I think this machine needs a nice paint job... It will be red, but maybe with a few extras :D

Well chaps, the steering is finally sorted and finished apart from a lick of paint, and I'm very happy with how it's turned out in the end :D

It's also nice to get the last of the "big stuff" done and dusted :thumbs:

But your going to have to wait for photo's as I forgot to take any yesterday..

A bit of an update for you chaps, as you know he steering is finished, so here's a photo for you.

The connecting arm has been moved to behind the hubs which makes the front end look neater and a lot less danger of a tree or something bending it :D

Yes you are seeing right, that is a fake leaf spring on the front.. I will make one out of thicker metal strips just for the Hot Rod look. The fake spring mounts will also add strength to the outer edges of the axle where the big rose joints bolt onto..

Not sure if the front hitch will be staying or going, it adds to the Wheel Horse look and could be handy for fitting weights onto to keep the front end down should needs be :D

WN512_zpsyeh4luxe.jpg

Those with sharp eyes may of noticed a two extra somethings in the above photo, this photo might help a bit more..

WN516_zpsldbvlxjf.jpg

The clue is, it's the thing just in front of the rear wheel..

WN513_zpsfdpsd3fq.jpg

Yep, WN now has an exhaust system. Here's the right side mount .

WN519_zpsu9qkgzww.jpg

The left side needed a step to clear the steering rod thingy.. The step will be made to look a lot neater as it will be on show..

WN518_zps4l1sc2kn.jpg

Two foot plate thingys chopped and welded together to make a wide one. The strange cut out needs to be filled, but I might need that hole for the pedals so it can stay for now.

WN520_zpsdpuek71j.jpg

And the view of WN which always makes me grin like a Cheshire cat on happy pills :D

WN511_zpsegukumxx.jpg

Thanks chaps :thumbs:

Yep, get that visit organized Mark :D

Not much to report, the left side foot plate thingy is taking shape. As you can see it needed quite a bit of extra metal to get it to the right shape.

WN522_zpsefic0w2a.jpg

And a slight change of plan. The frame I made to be welded under the fender pan is now being welded to the chassis.

WN524_zpsphprnbba.jpg

WN523_zpsmahkikqm.jpg

And the latest Why Not video for ya all..

:thumbs:  Can't wait to see it painted.

Strange you should mention paint Norm, I was just looking up paint on Fleabay.. It will be a while before she get's a few coats of shiny stuff though.

Never mind the paint, lets see some doughnuts

Don't worry Chris, test driving will come before final painting :D

Looking good Ian

Thanks Mark :thumbs:

what do you mean waddling around the other workshop :D

Wandering not waddling :lol:

I love those exhaust pipes; uber cool!

Looking forward to seeing it painted up and all the detailing completed.

Thanks Andrew, yeah the pipes do look cool :)   Paint is a little while off yet though.. Need to test drive it first :D

Well, I've not managed to get much done this week due to a mixture of illness, visitors and having carpet fitted at home..

Both foot plates are now bolted down, I found some bike mounting brackets with captive nuts which came in handy and are much more fun to use than drilling through steel box..

WN527_zpset6hnrpf.jpg

WN526_zpsaxzritej.jpg

This bit of box does not carry any weight and is only there to stop the top of the foot plates from vibrating.. I will add a little bit of bracing though.

WN528_zps7nd4g2yv.jpg

Er,,, more to come later as it now looks like I'm off to the workshop today!

But here;s something to make you laugh, it did me...  I ordered some air filters which arrived yesterday... I may of got my sizes wrong! :lol:

WN533_zpszspqnrx4.jpg

WN532_zpsehfemwso.jpg

Time for the rest of the update..

The hood stand has had a couple of bit's of box welded to it.

WN530_zpspdkqabjp.jpg

Which along with a couple of hefty mounting brackets has put a lot of strength into it, no longer does it wobble when the steering is turned.

WN531_zpsvyqje5bc.jpg

The n/s foot plate has been fully welded and ground down.. I did for a while yesterday think about having foot gear change and a suicide clutch, but decided I'd rather have both hands on the wheel when the clutch is dropped at 9000rpm :D

WN529_zpsuqtaj98t.jpg

This is the mount for the suicide shift made for a bit of thick steel and a cut down bike swing arm bolt..

WN537_zpsk9ey6oue.jpg

Shifter mounted and the linkage worked out, though you will have to wait until the linkage is done before you see it.

WN538_zpscsql185f.jpg

The fender pan has been bolted down, but I thought a photo of 6 bolts would be boring so I didn't take a photo..

And to finish off this update, I needed to work out where the pedals would go so I climbed aboard, at which point Nigel wandered (not waddled :D ) in and grabbed my camera :lol:

WN535_zpsmp1wxc6s.jpg

WN534_zpsibq6j7fg.jpg

WN536_zpsnng1sbtf.jpg

One word freakin awesome!

Oh wait that two words... :D

Thanks mate.. That's two words too :D

Have you thought about a small windscreen / deflector on the bonnet to stop your eyes watering whilst driving round the arena

I was thinking of using my welding mask.. Let's hope it's not a sunny day or I won't be able to drive towards the sun :lol:

I can just picture him in flying helmet and goggles. :D

And don't forget the scarf. :D

Tally Ho Chaps :lol: