meadowfield

Cub cadet playtime

The title says it all, Ewan has spent half the summer on his cub. We've not got much footage, a bit of a play on a rainy Boxing Day seemed like a good idea. Until he conked out :(

The little cub was towed back to the shop and Ewan will no doubt be doing a restore thread

If you can get it, try OSPHO on the prep, it works really good on neutralizing rust. It might go by another name over their, but it leaves a clear varnish like layer that serves as added protection

If you can get it, try OSPHO on the prep, it works really good on neutralizing rust. It might go by another name over their, but it leaves a clear varnish like layer that serves as added protection

Sounds as though it may be similar to Owatrol which can either be added to paint or applied by itself as a patina preserver.

This cultivator was just given a wash with hot soapy water and the a coat of Owatrol to preserve the original rust, paint and patina, preventing further deterioration .

post-236-0-58017000-1451219100_thumb.jpe

Poorly Cub, hope its better again soon !!

It's currently 'off road' :)

Nice video.Wish I had a place like that to go for a drive.

We dreamt of a place n the Yorkshire dales for 25 years.... It's a lovely area

Good video Mark. Good luck with the restoration of the CC.

It's not my restore, it's Ewan's... Watch this space :D

I think we paid around £800 for it, which was a lot. But it's all original with three point and road registered. Ewan just had to have it, no Ida where he gets these whims from.... :P

I blame his fatha... probably his grandfatha as well... :D

the patina looks  good! will do, should be a good project :)

It does have a good patina but under the million layers of paint there is quite a few places where it has rusted through so it will need quite a bit of work.

Ewan's right, sometimes we use the word patina, when the real word is rust, be it mild or excessive. Patina affects the surface like tan or weathered skin, while rust is a cancer. Sometimes it takes youth to say what the older man would rather not see or face.

Ewan's right, sometimes we use the word patina, when the real word is rust, be it mild or excessive. Patina affects the surface like tan or weathered skin, while rust is a cancer. Sometimes it takes youth to say what the older man would rather not see or face.

Don't think that rust and patina can be separated so easily. Unless the metal is rusted through or structurally unsound it forms part of the patina , rust and all. To my mind an old machine in good original condition with 60% plus of its original paint is always preferable to one repainted to ex- factory condition - or better. I'm no fan of two pack on a machine that would have left the factory painted cellulose or synthetic paint.

That said I totally subscribe to an owner doing whatever they like with their own kit, but originality once gone can't be replace!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patina

Don't think that rust and patina can be separated so easily. Unless the metal is rusted through or structurally unsound it forms part of the patina , rust and all. To my mind an old machine in good original condition with 60% plus of its original paint is always preferable to one repainted to ex- factory condition - or better. I'm no fan of two pack on a machine that would have left the factory painted cellulose or synthetic paint.

That said I totally subscribe to an owner doing whatever they like with their own kit, but originality once gone can't be replace!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patina

I don't know how you can say it better, at least in my opinion. I'm never satisfied with even my good two part paint job as being that close to factory, but at least for now I have slowed/stopped the deterioration.

Don't be fooled by the pictures, the patina you see is a mix of the original paint, a layer of red oxide and some JCB yellow slapped over the top. In between and underneath there is a huge amount of rust. We will end up doing a lot of cutting and welding new pieces in. It's just taken 4 hours to remove the seized axle pin. Pretty well everything is in a state! I think Ewan will be posting an update later...