Ian

Project "Why Not"

That is so mean looking Ian!! You have created a monster :) I look forward to seeing a video of in action, don't rush it, you want to get it right!

Tom

Thank Tom, you don't have long to wait for the test drive vid, it will be along shortly :)

I don't know what to say. Superlatives seem so inadequate. :bow:  :bow:  :bow:

Say what ever you want mate :D

Wow Ian that is one mean looking beast can't wait for the next video of the first test drive maybe ?

Thanks James, the test drive vid is almost here.

Freakin awesome! :D

I agree :D

I like the stance on the last photo too Ian.

Thanks Andrew, yeah she does sit just right..

true rat rod - best get on with designing some decals...

and paying you a visit!

Thanks Mark, yep it's about that decal thinking time.. It's about time you headed down too :D

that third pic is EPIC!!!  :omg:  :bow:  :hyper:

We have take off!!    I did wonder why the steering went everywhere, I was going a bit to fast to notice I was almost airborne

Omg! It lives :D

She does indeed.

Awesome! :D

Thanks Ewan

That's brilliant :D

Ta muchly Charlie

Airborne! I like it. I'll be down in August definitely. :thumbs:  DO NOT break it before then.

I will try not to break her Norm :lol:

And now the moment you have all been waiting for.. That's me included...  Yest it's test drive video time :D

It's the maniacal laugh that dos it for me...

More power egor!

I think that's gotta be the basis for some decals, even his name.

I christen him egor... That or frankenhorse :D

Allready looks like Frankenstein with those filters on the side

That looks like a lot of fun! Ian, you have built a fantastic machine.

I am looking forward to the video

Iain

Thanks Iain.

freakin' awesome!! but, does it do burnouts? :D

oh and what was nigel saying at the end of the vid?

Thanks Koen, not tried any burnouts yet.... I think Nigel was saying something like "get it on a long straight and it will just go and go"

It just gets better :D

And madder :D

:woohoo:   I'll bring me 'elmet and a change of pants.  :hyper:

Well done lads. :thumbs:

Thanks Norm, rubber undies might be a safer bet :lol:

This is just so awesome! :D

Thanks Ewan, happy you like it.

It's the maniacal laugh that dos it for me...

More power egor!

I think that's gotta be the basis for some decals, even his name.

I christen him egor... That or frankenhorse :D

Your be laughing manically after driving her mate. That of kissing the ground where your so glad to get off WN :D

we shall have to have a chat about the decals.

Allready looks like Frankenstein with those filters on the side

Strangely enough I wasn't too keen on how the filters sat when WN was on the bench, now she is off the filters look right.

How can you possibly go back to driving 5-1/2mph horses after this Ian? you'll be well spoilt now :D

truly amazing and AWESOME!!!!!!! :thumbs:

Nitrous next ? :fingerscrossed:

Hi Doug, I found driving my GT afterwards was quite relaxing.. Slow enough to have time to think :D

No Nitrous, that would just be daft.. Maybe a turbo though :lol:

Truly amazing Ian, looks fun to drive, can't wait to see it in action :thumbs:

Thanks mate, your welcome to have a drive if you feel brave enough.

So when do we get a tug 'o war with Bendy?? 

but seriously, great job Ian.

Thanks Max... I think Bendy would win on traction but Wn would win at showering Mark with mud etc :lol:

Absolutely amazing, from the idea in the first place to the working thing is amazing, better than a zero-ish turn in my mind ;) . Then maybe a why not mk2  :D

james

Brilliant Ian. :thumbs::bow::jaw:  Think you might need a braking parachute for the REALLY fast runs.  An ejector seat might be useful too.

Thanks Alan, no need for parachute... I have an anchor and a long length of bungee rope :lol:

Absolutely amazing, from the idea in the first place to the working thing is amazing, better than a zero-ish turn in my mind ;) . Then maybe a why not mk2  :D

james

Thanks James.

A Why Not status update...

The good news I've fitted a rev counter and worked out how to wire in the temp gauge.

The bad news is... The brakes are rubbish.

The steering is a bit heavy, does not self center, does not have enough lock and is not enough turns from lock to lock..

The throttle pedal is at a painful angle for my ankles, as is the brake pedal.

The throttle pedal needs better return springs..

When braking it's hard not to hit the throttle at the same time!

So she needs a few tweaks..

The rear brakes will be sorted by fitting new shoes (I've ordered the right ones this time) and new adjusters both of which have been ordered..

The front brakes will be sorted by moving the master cylinder up a bit.

Sorting the throttle pedal problems just involves a little cutting and welding.

The steering problems will be a bit more interesting to solve..

The gearing in the 90 degree angle drive box thingy isn't quite 1:1 but it's close, this means the steering wheel does not turn much lock to lock..

I did think about a Land Rover steering box which is small enough to fit in the available space... Until I saw the price of them!!

So I have bought a small steering rack advertised as being for micro cars/kit cars...   It only measures 39 inches end to end, as WN is 44 inches wide it should fit in with only minor tweaks..

Evening chaps, not much to report.

A few parcels arrived today, one containing brake adjusters and the other brake shoes..

WN668_zpshndqofor.jpg

Fitted..  Though I think whoever designed drum brakes needs a good talking to.. Horrible things to put together!

WN669_zpsuarnaa1i.jpg

The inside of the drums got a de-glaze as well for good measure.      The good new is the rear brakes now work rather well....    I've not looked at the front brakes yet as I may well have to move both master cylinders to fit some steering in!

WN670_zpsjqslg82j.jpg

Fit some steering in??? Well, yes.. The other parcel that arrived today was this small steering rack from a Aixam 751/500 micro car.

With a bit of narrowing of the outer arms it will fit between the front wheels nicely, but the only way to connect it to the steering wheel is run the column down the right side of the engine which should be interesting with brake gubbins and pedals in the way..

WN671_zpsdhkenozc.jpg

Don't worry Mark, she will be drivable for your visit next Monday :D

I am pleased you have resolved the issue with the rear brakes. Good luck with the steering column that looks like a very big challenge.

Iain

That looks like quite a bit of surgery is going to take place.

Hi Max, the will be some surgery but not that much.. A change of plan again :D

I am pleased you have resolved the issue with the rear brakes. Good luck with the steering column that looks like a very big challenge.

Iain

Thank Iain, working brakes certainly inspires a bit more confidence knowing your going to stop again :D

Well chaps, a change of plan again. the steering rack won't be fitted as it just wouldn't look right..

Also Nigel and I were playing with the current set up yesterday, with a few tweaks and some shims the steering lightened up and even started to self center..  So with a better steering box the steering should be quite good :thumbs:

No photo's but have a short vid of Mark, Matt the garden center manager and myself giving WN a thrashing up the car park :D

Wow, that looks like fun, bet it's gonna be wicked on grass at a show

It's great fun Chris :D   It should be good on grass as long as it's smooth.

:D

That was freakin awesome... It would feel safer on grass too!

Thanks Ian

Your welcome mate, the grin on your face was priceless :D