This Billy Goat is something else I brought back from down south. Although I've rotated the first photo the right way up, it keeps coming up like this.

2002-01-13 09.29.21.jpg

2002-01-13 09.29.09.jpg

2002-01-13 09.28.05.jpg

The engine is a 5hp B&S. Had a bit of a look at it today. Compression is good but no spark. Plug ok. Tried it on one of the tractors. Pull start freed up and working. Also height adjustment now working. I need a puller for the flywheel to get at the points. Till then I'll remove and clean tank and carb.

Once I get it running and see how it performs, then I'll decide what I'm going to do with it. I doubt it'll stay as is.

You shouldn't need a puller for the fly wheel, if you knock the recoil but off, then put a pry bar underneath the flywheel and give it a shock with a hammer it should come off.

Hi Norm, I remember seeing that and others when I visited John and Alan last year. Glad to see you may have a use for it:thumbs:.

Can you post your Engine Model and Serial numbers off of the Blower Housing please?.

Good to be able to meet and have a brief chat with you at RPT .

Good to meet you as well, Richard. 

So far I have found out the Billy Goat is 1978 or a little earlier.

Model KD50. Serial 24539.

B&S 5hp engine. The following numbers are on the side of the cowl. Only ones I can find. 130902 0456-01 76042006

Engine build date is 1976 Norm. User and Parts Manual are *here* for it.

I have a Briggs W/Shop Manual for any Torque/Gap Settings, procedures etc if you need them.

Engine Models 100000/130000 have no Flywheel Puller facility, so Koen is correct with the Flywheel procedure.

If you are doing it alone, gently tap 2 wooden wedges 'tween the Flywheel n Alloy Case just enough to take up Crank end play (a few thou).

Hit opposite sides of the Flywheel simultaneously with Soft faced/covered hammers until it is free.

Condition of the Flywheel/Shaft Key is important.

If you need any help locating parts, drop me a PM.

Eventually got the flywheel off this morning. Said the right words and held my mouth in the right position and it surrendered to my nice new puller. (Set of 4 from Machine Mart. £28.) Points look ok, but I'm not sure what the gap should be. 12thou? Anyone?

Took the tank off along with the carb. Air filter disintegrated to lumps and dust. The screws holding carb to tank are being awkward now. :rolleyes: The inside of the tank held rust and dust. Though it seems solid enough.

That's it so far.

A bit of an update.

I've been unable to locate a replacement condenser, it being one side of the points and to all reports, obsolete. So today a nice new electronic coil arrived. Also a new air filter to replace the dust that was the original.  :)

New coil soon fitted and tried and very healthy spark from the plug. So next everything was put back together. Then the throttle cable decided to let me know it was practically seized.

Off with that and after several applications of 3in1 oil and pulling back and forth, it freed to an acceptable level of movement.

Right! It was now time to see if it would run. To start with, I just squirted some petrol into the carb and gave the pull cord a few jerks. This resulted in a couple of coughs from the exhaust. :thumbs: Promising!

Some petrol into the tank and lets try again after another dose down the carb. It fired and ran. Briefly! Tried again with same procedure and got same result. It wouldn't take any notice of the throttle position. Choke shut and opened ok. Bit of head scratching, sitting and thinking. Staring at the bench. Hang on! What's this?

In the box that had held all the bit's and bob's, was a small rod and light spring. The one that connects throttle butterfly to lever. :banghead:  So now all I have to do is remember/workout just how it fits. I jest not. :rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, Stormin said:

A bit of an update.

I've been unable to locate a replacement condenser, it being one side of the points and to all reports, obsolete. So today a nice new electronic coil arrived. Also a new air filter to replace the dust that was the original.  :)

New coil soon fitted and tried and very healthy spark from the plug. So next everything was put back together. Then the throttle cable decided to let me know it was practically seized.

Off with that and after several applications of 3in1 oil and pulling back and forth, it freed to an acceptable level of movement.

Right! It was now time to see if it would run. To start with, I just squirted some petrol into the carb and gave the pull cord a few jerks. This resulted in a couple of coughs from the exhaust. :thumbs: Promising!

Some petrol into the tank and lets try again after another dose down the carb. It fired and ran. Briefly! Tried again with same procedure and got same result. It wouldn't take any notice of the throttle position. Choke shut and opened ok. Bit of head scratching, sitting and thinking. Staring at the bench. Hang on! What's this?

In the box that had held all the bit's and bob's, was a small rod and light spring. The one that connects throttle butterfly to lever. :banghead:  So now all I have to do is remember/workout just how it fits. I jest not. :rolleyes:

At least  you've made some progress, it will be up and running tomorrow .:thumbs:

Legged pullers that hook under the flywheel are a strict NO, NO. You can end up with a split flywheel or worse still a cracked one that flies apart later. 

Make what you need when you need it  - will always come in useful!

2013-05-24 14.08.04 (Medium).jpg

Edited by Wristpin
image added

Unfortunately, Angus, the fly wheel didn't have any threaded holes to attach a puller, similar to your flat plate ones. I would have made one otherwise. I didn't apply a lot of force, just over finger tight and with a couple of taps on the puller the fly wheel came loose.  One thing I should have done when the flywheel was off, was to drill and tap a couple of holes for future use if needed.

13 hours ago, Stormin said:

A bit of an update.

That's good news Norm, I look forward to the vid of Billy running. I've never seen one in action.

10 hours ago, Wristpin said:

Legged pullers that hook under the flywheel are a strict NO, NO. You can end up with a split flywheel or worse still a cracked one that flies apart later. 

That's quite a selection of pullers :D

10 hours ago, Wristpin said:

i see atleast one oem puller in there

3 hours ago, C-101plowerpower said:

I see at least one oem puller in there

Two BS ones both with their holes elongated to fit other things. One item that is not there is is a starter clutch spigot protector and knocker. On BS engines with the ball engagement starter clutch there is a temptation to remove it and then hit the top of the spigot to dislodge the flywheel . Don't do it as even the slightest distortion of the spigot will lead to screaming starters and wrecked recoil springs but the after market protector with a brass insert makes the job easy and safe. CIMG4006 (Medium).JPG

Briggs contact breaker / condenser set, 294628 £15.15+vat , is still readily available but with so many good used Magnetron coils around for less money there's little point (sorry) in making work for the fun of it. Most mower shops have a box of "may come in useful" Magnetron coils from wrecked engines.  Just need to make sure of the exact dimensions between fixing screws as there are some small dimensional differences between what appear to be similar engines.

Edited by Wristpin
Typo!