Ian

Project "Why Not"

Life is a funny old thing at times... I swapped WN's original Wh trans out with it's 5 bolt wheel fixings for a Reliant axle which is a 4 wheel bolt fitting.. Then spend loads of time converting 5 bolt wheels to 4 bolt fitting...

And now I'm about to start converting the Reliant 4 bolt to fit 5 bolt wheels back on!!     It's not as mad as it might sound you know..

Why???

Well it's a safety thing you see...  Now WN has proved herself at going sideways (did anyone get any photo's of my BTF arena antics?), the time has come to starting thinking about something a bit faster and in a straight line..

After some careful thought the chances of going sideways at high speed is far more likely on a grass airstrip than tarmac, so with that in mind something more sticky on tarmac was found.. next door as it happens :D

WN805_zpsduulk9bd.jpg

WN806_zpsxf7sw3ry.jpg

WN807_zpsazgwimyb.jpg

The tyres have a V speed raiting which means they are good up to 149mph!! :D  I just need to find some better tyres for the front wheels now..

All of the above means I have some work to do to make the wheels fit, so this big old slab of steel was dug out to make a couple of wheel bolt convertors..  I see a lot of lathe work coming up in the very near future :rolleyes:

WN810_zpsqqlpj4gh.jpg

The shape eye'd of you will of noticed a something lurking in the background of the above photo..

Yep I have bought another CX/GL/silverwing engine for doing a bit of development on.. I won't give my plans away yet (those who know please keep quite if you would be so kind :) ) as I won't be doing anything with the engine for a long time yet, but I will say it should produce a bit more power than a standard CX/GL engine :D

WN809_zpsl0wce16n.jpg

WN808_zpselgornns.jpg

is that a turbo whistle i'm hearing? i do hope it is :lol:   slot mags look good :)

A turbo whistle would be nice Koen..

Those wheels will look good. :)  As to the engine mods? I can only guess. ;)

I quite like the wheels too Norm, it would be good to find a mini matching pair for the front..

Whoa! What next!???

Your have to wait and see Mark.

could it be a V4 :rolleyes:

No chance :D

thats a slab of steel if i've ever seen one :)

Yeah it is a heavy old lump of steel Max. It was twice the size when I found it years ago!

:sorry:   Prefer the originals.

Me an all...

same, would like to see some stacks tho :rolleyes:

You don't like them??   What's up with you all?  They are great for keep ears warm :lol:

Don't worry guys, those pipes were only put on like that for some experimentation.. I just posted the photo's to raise a few eyebrows :D

The old exhaust system certainly caught a few people eye, but for me it did have a few problems. The shape of the down pipes didn't look that good where I had to extend them, the end cans made it look like someone had just bolted on a bike exhaust in the only place iit would fit, and the cans are far to restrictive in the flow department!  Oh, and it sounded a bit tame!

So yesterday out came the grinder and welder for operation "cut n shut" on the old exhuast sytem that came from the CX trike that Nigel and I broke up many months ago..

For me the shape of the downpipes make it look almost like a "factory" system.. Well, as factory as you can get for a bike engine stuffed in a Wheel Horse :D

Both pipes need to be fully welded and cleaned up, then on with the black high heat paint all over..

Heat wrap for the down pipes and I have some honeycombe ally sheet to make some covers for the cans, put a bit of bling back.. :D

But most important the system is a lot more free flowing, which is just what I need for the next stage..

WN813_zpstsoliut4.jpg

WN814_zpswh2zmsju.jpg

WN815_zpsyb4sn0v4.jpg

WN816_zpsq1rnzwew.jpg

got to be the best video yet it must be cos you used a realy realy good cameraman this time who did"nt mind geting covered in mud and soaked to the skin :D

You didn't get soaked to the skin, I might of splashed you a little when driving past :D

:confused:  Who was that then?  

I'm not quite sure who it was, but they had managed to work out when the camera is recording or not this time :lol:

That looks like a lot of fun was had!

It certainly was :thumbs:

Mad buggers :thumbs:  :thumbs: :thumbs:  

I see no reason to argue with you about that Paul :D

Morning all, my back has kinda put me out of action for a while, so only a small update as it's all I've managed.

Now.. A couple of people have told me I'm mad for making my own wheel PCD adaptors and I should just buy some!!  All I can say to that is I'm making them because I can :)  All it's costing me is time... Lot's and lot's of time!

Starting with a slightly heavy 40mm thick square of steel. The center has been marked with a punch and a circle drawn so I know where to slice the corners off.

WN818_zpsnzs1efby.jpg

This is a bit hard to see but here's my workings out to see if the wheel PCD adaptors could actually be made and the two PCD's didn't clash!

WN819_zpsaztpjxia.jpg

As always when trying to get a 4 bolt PCD inside a 5 bolt PCD somewhere two of the bolt/stud holes are going to be close!

WN820_zpsq1gojesf.jpg

They get even closer when you put a socket on the wheel nut!  If your confused it may help if I mention that the small circle next to the socket is where a stud will be for bolt the new wheels onto.

WN821_zpsc3tjnt43.jpg

And the wheel nuts for the Reliant axle will be countersunk so there is no wheel/stud/nut clearance problems..

WN822_zpszibpj5vq.jpg

Once the corners were sliced off the slab went on the lathe. One side was faced off and a couple of grooves cut to mark out the PCD's before I started boring out the center.

WN823_zpskekovzle.jpg

Once the center was bored out I turned the slab around to start on the other side.

Just about on the size limit for my lathe here! If the diameter been a 1/4 inch wider I wouldn't of been able to get a cutting tool on to make the slab round!

WN825_zpsgqt6v6ll.jpg

I'm just glad that after 8 years of owning the lathe I managed to work out how to bolt on a bracket and some cogs to give me power feed up and down the bed!  It does make lathe work a bit boring but at least I only have to turn the handles half as much :D

WN824_zpsp7urnnl0.jpg

Only a very small update as not much has been happening on this project..

As much as I love my old Southbend lathe it was struggling with the large slab of steel so I put it on my Monoturn lathe. The drill chuck is only there to stop the slab from flying across the workshop should it break loose!

WN826_zpsicmitl4i.jpg

As nice as it looks it is way too heavy and would act like a flywheel on the wheels, so I need to find a way of cutting it in half to make 2 thinner wheel thingys or turn 1/2 inch off it's width on the lathe!

WN828_zpspioie4fx.jpg