Ian

Project "Why Not"

They look poofy

How an they, there's no pink fluffy dice in sight :lol:

Toy Town I am afraid Iain. Well you did ask! :)

Don't be afraid Andrew, I did ask indeed.

Never mind those two. Look ok to me Ian. ;)

Thanks Norm.

Look good to me Ian

Thanks James.

It makes it look like Noddy's car how many wheel horses had lights like that. I suppose if its painted yellow and red it would look OK . it looks meaner with out them

I agree, it looks meaner without.

I'd leave them off, looks a bit like the hotwheels car nobody wanted, sorry

Don't be sorry Koen, I'm not sure about the hot wheels thing but I do think WN looks better without the lights..

Thanks for all you input guy's, just what I was after..      I think the lights will be staying off, I like the mean look me :D

I assume there is not room to put lights in the normal position Ian ??

There may be space but only just, it's a bit tight to say the least!  Maybe rather than lights a pair of glowing evil eyes :lol:

Thursday was spent taking WN apart.. A big thank you to Nigel for all you help, it certainly made the job a lot easier :thumbs:

As the forklift is too tall to fit in my workshop, the bench (it was on a trolley which is now under the engine) went to the forklift..

Up goes the engine..

WN906_zpsn1thnmwg.jpg

With the bench out the way..

WN907_zpsnhuzefmi.jpg

The engine was lowered onto the trolley.

WN900_zpsdfofgp2u.jpg

The naked chassis...

WN904_zpslfu3xpyi.jpg

And a few of the parts which need cleaning and painting..

WN905_zps4zkz35si.jpg

Speaking of paint, does anyone know which "Car colour" is closest to WH red?

All that time spent building it, now it's broken already.  :omg: Some people never look after anything.  :(

It was nothing to do with me, Nigel did it while my back was turned :lol:

Sounds like I'm going to have to dream up some decals soon...

I'm thinking maybe in the style of the early Commando decals..  Although WN is kinda a Raider I don't think any of the Raider decals would suit the mean hot rod look..

Brilliant mate be nice to see her in paint and back together

Thanks James, it will be good to see her in paint.. Can't wait :D

Have a look at Ford Carnival Red - may be!!

Was that the Ford red that faded? :yankchain:       I think I need to go to Halfrauds and have a look in the paint department.. I'm guessing they still have space for a paint department in between all the kids push bikes and boy racer massive speakers?

Bet there will be a lot of  "Where does this bit go"  and  "I'm sure something went here"  :confused: when it's re assembly time.

There shouldn't be, all I need to do is read through this build thread :D        I've got almost 1000 photos of the build..

It's been a slow week with WN, tidying welds, welding the odd place or two I had missed, and capping off loads of open box section..

I'm happy to say that despite the thrashing I have been giving WN, there has been no signs of any broken welds which could mean..

A - The chassis is a good strong design..

Or

B - I've not been driving her hard enough....

WN909_zps0fgzae02.jpg

WN910_zpsypdajskb.jpg

WN911_zpsgrm89laz.jpg

Fully welded up and red oxide'd.

WN915_zpsqmg7v11s.jpg

I assume there is not room to put lights in the normal position Ian ??

I thought I'd find that out today Paul, so I dug a light backing plate/bulb holder out and screwed it to the bonnet..

WN916_zps3uj7og2r.jpg

It was close but not quite enough space... However if I trim a bit off the top of the light backing then it should just slide in :)

WN917_zpsol826tpj.jpg

Ask Mark to make a headlight decal with two eyes you can cut out, then fit super bright 'RED' led's instead of white bulbs !

Funny you should mention that Doug, I was talking with Nigel about evil looking red eyes rather than just the normal lights :)

If the original light unit fits with modifications, personally I would go with that Ian, your tractor mate, your call   :thumbs:

I agree mate, the original light unit only needs a little trim to make it fit, so it makes sense to me :D

A bit more of the WN story for you chaps..

With the chassis cleaned up and coated in the red stuff, I started to look at the vast amount of smaller parts that need cleaning up... Which got me thinking that I have a blasting cabinet and compressor both of which had not been used since I moved workshops well over a year ago!

WN919_zpscbbp6xo1.jpg

WN918_zpsiyiwj2h1.jpg

As the compressor is a tad on the large side the fear was the current drawn when starting it up would cause problems with the workshop wiring which could best be described as "needs work"!

Anyway, nothing went bang or produced any smoke so a clutch pedal went into the blasting cabinet....

Not bad, maybe the blasting medium is a little coarse but we shall see what it looks like with a couple of coats of red oxide.

WN921_zpsci4ujkud.jpg

Only a couple of problems with the blast cabinet...   It needs to be raised by 6 inches or so so I'm not bent over using it..  And I need to sort out a dust extraction system as despite a good vent pipe it can get a bit hard to see what's going on.. I've just dug out a spare computer cooling fan which hopefully should suck out enough dust so I can see what I'm doing..

It's been a slow few days on WN, but slowly parts are getting put through the blasting cabinet and then hit with red oxide..

Dust extraction has still been an issue though, so I built this er... Thing...

WN922_zpsmhrbq6fe.jpg

WN923_zpsvzthtpym.jpg

WN925_zpssf4w064r.jpg

WN924_zpsiq1qzlcs.jpg

This kinda worked, doubling up the fan helped a bit more but is far from ideal....    And then yesterday I lifted the cabinet lid a little with the extraction fans on, and all the dust cleared in couple of seconds!!

Me thinks another filtered hole in the side of the cabinet is needed!!

Great idea Ian

Thanks mate..

Well, you know what they say about blokes and instructions........

Today my mission was to get my blast cabinet working which meant sorting out the dust extraction once and for all..

After drilling a big hole and a couple of bolt holes in the side of the cabinet, I bolted this filter on that had been kicking about for years...   It did come with the blast cabinet which I found a bit strange as the only "hole with bolt holes" was way bigger with 3 not 2 bolt holes....  So it got wrapped up in a random bit of paper and stuffed in a draw until today..

WN926_zpsxcjiw0ur.jpg

On the inside I folded up this cover to stop the inside of the filter from getting blasted away..

WN929_zps5qw0fgds.jpg

It was whilst bolting the inside cover on that I noticed this strange box like thing at the back of the cabinet under the light!  Can you guess what's behind it?  :banghead:

WN927_zps5ifjgiru.jpg

As it happens the space behind the cabinet is so tight the filter wouldn't of been able to let any air in anyway, so it kinda all worked out for the best!

WN928_zpspjhroxga.jpg

Oh... And the random bit of paper the filter was wrapped in all those years ago... Were the instructions!    :lol:

A few of the bits that have been blasted and coated in the red stuff..

WN932_zpsioi2q7bw.jpg

As WN's dash panel had started to rust under the clear coat, it got blasted and hit with clear again..

It's a bit hard to make out but it almost looks like metallic silver only with more metallic showing.. Get it in the right light and it almost sparkles..

WN930_zps5skyawx8.jpg

WN931_zps6yxvneis.jpg

A few more photo's for ya all..

Freshly blasted and red oxided steering wheel boss and one of the brake drums.

WN934_zpsrdbjcwzw.jpg

WN933_zps1lpgsnyh.jpg

The air pressure was turned down so it only just took the old paint off without any damage to the dash surround..  The inside has already been re-reded if the is such a word :lol:

WN935_zpsgt6fvcr5.jpg

The ally diff case was cleaned up using a soft-ish wire brush on a drill....    I may polish it up, I may not.. We shall see.

WN936_zpsyqslgikd.jpg

The rest of the rear axle cleaned up and painted ready for it's top coat of black.

WN937_zpsytglsoc2.jpg

Speaking of paint, it has been ordered and should arrive this week.. No clues to the colour/shade though :D

I've got a similar cabinet and have added an additional internal strip light and dust extraction connected to a Henry vacuum cleaner. Wondered why it was fogging up the other day and found that a bit of bubble wrap had got sucked onto the back vent!  The draw back with these table mounted ones seems to be that the blasting medium does not flow back to the suction pipe and I have to keep tipping the cabinet to get it where its needed. Perhaps a central position for the pick up is what's needed ?

The draw back with these table mounted ones seems to be that the blasting medium does not flow back to the suction pipe and I have to keep tipping the cabinet to get it where its needed. Perhaps a central position for the pick up is what's needed ?

Now that's a good idea. :thumbs: