Stormin

C-120 refurb.

As promised some photo's and a brief run down on what I did yesterday.

In the morning I got hubs etc. 11-30am I set to work.

post-111-0-28457200-1436989083_thumb.jpg

First of all I had to see if the wheels would fit in the lathe and on the face plate. They did. Just clearing the bed and the face plate fitted inside the wheel dish. How to bolt wheel to face plate next problem. I'd have to use the wheel bolt holes and pack the wheel forward off the face plate.

The pcd in the wheels was 2-3/4" and the hubs 4"  The wheel centre needed to be opened up from 2" to 3", to fit the hub spigot. So that meant I had to drill new holes in the wheels. So I made a wooden bung to fit the wheel centre hole and the ID of the hub where the bearing outer race fits. This made it possible to mark through the hub stud holes, after removing the studs, and mark the wheel for re-drilling. Simples!

Not really. Trying to spot through all four holes without hub or wheel moving was damn near impossible. So after much deliberation, sweat, blood and tears, I took a chance and just drilled two opposing holes. I could only use two too fasten the wheel to the face plate anyway. Six slot face plate. Two wrong better than four.

Using two short lengths of studding, eight nuts and washers, a wheel was bolted to the plate. Getting it to run true was another thing.

Easy enough clocking the wheel centre, getting rid of the wobble was something else. Eventually I started on boring out the wheel centre. This took some time as I could only take small cuts. Next, using a hub as a drill jig, I ended up with two like this.

post-111-0-22958100-1436989820_thumb.jpg

I put the wheel studs back in and tried wheels to hubs.  Much to my delight they fitted.

post-111-0-00213000-1436989828_thumb.jpg

post-111-0-27851100-1436989812_thumb.jpg

Though one wheels holes did required a little tickling with a round file. 

8-30 pm job done. 

Went to get the spindles I forgot to ask for this morning, only to be told none in stock. They're on order now, but will not be in till a week Monday.   :banghead:

Got the rear tyres fitted today. For £10 why struggle? :D

post-111-0-91477600-1437405043_thumb.jpg

Got the lift cable fitted as well. 3mm stainless with a plastic coat.

Also a photo' of the brake pedal stop. Not very good to see, but best I could do. Pedal came a long way back. Just made out of a piece of alli' angle cut to suit.

post-111-0-21362800-1437405098_thumb.jpg

Had to change the lift wire. Basically because the cable clamps were a little big. Fitted some spare heavy duty electric fence cable left over from in the silage pit Two clamps each end. Lifts the plough without problem now.

I got the trailer stub axles I've been waiting for this morning. So this afternoon I was able to start the front wheel conversion.

First thing was to modify the stub axles.  The spigot on the end was cut down to 1/2" long then bored out 3/4" by 1" deep.

post-111-0-66200600-1438100037_thumb.jpg

Next remove the existing front wheels and modify the axles. These were shortened to 3/4".

post-111-0-70597500-1438100065_thumb.jpg

The modified stubs were located on the cut down axle and wheels put on to see how things looked. Things looked ok so axles removed and stubs welded to them. Then everything put back together.

post-111-0-47939600-1438100118_thumb.jpg

Still to paint, grease and adjust, but I think it doesn't look bad. Though I did find the left hand wheel has a slight run out.